Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
malaria
6 Posts
I've only ever taken malarials when up north near the Burmese border. Never needed them for Bankok Phi-Phi and Krabi. Might be worth checking with GP though for latest info.
One time I was in Thailand my doctor said I needed to take Malaria tablets but my niece who was travelling with me went to a different doctor and was told she didn't need them. Previously I was told I should take them only if I was going trekking in the north.
As Sunbear said check with your GP as things may have changed.
For just those destinations I wouldn't even consider them (having been several times to all 3).

However, please note the emphasis is on 'I' and is not a recommendation for you. A website forum could get into serious trouble if it's seen advising on medical issues and something happens to you. After all, you're never risk free - I believe about 10 people a year contract malaria in the UK, mainly those living near airports - so you can never be truly safe!
10 years of living in Thailand without taking any anti-malarials of any kind and I've survived - so you should be OK on a 2 week holiday.

A lot of UK doctors like to recommend anti-malarials, which may be due to the high price and (I guess) good profit margin rather than being related to any real risk. Far, far greater chance of getting Dengue Fever than malaria.
many thanks everyone ! :D

i realise this was a question that should be asked of my GP , which i did , and he basically said , wear long sleeves and deet at night and don't bother with the tablets

YAAAY :D i hate anti-malaria tablets !!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.