Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Malaria
32 Posts
MY DOC SAID WE DIDN'T NEED MALARIA TABLETS!
Just had Hep injection.
I would go on the goverment site to have a look!
I have now looked at the web site http://www.preventingmalaria.info who are in the business of supplying malaria prophylactic medication and they say that no anti malaria medication is required for all tourist areas of Turkey. Who do I believe??!!
  • Edited by boblevin 2005-04-21 17:57:11
I went to Turkey a couple of years ago and didn't take malaria tablets and we were all fine :!:
My doctors do a travel clinc which I went to and had my jabs and was told no need for malaria tablets in the area we were going to :!:
I think at the end of the day it has to be your decision :!:
Hi There

We are staying at the Pegasos Palace on 5 Sept for two weeks. :D 2 adults and 1 child age 5 :evil: ! Cant wait to hit the beach 8) but most of my time will be spent at the bar :glynis ! If anybody is flying from Glasgow gimme a shout :fly See yous there!!! XxXxXx
:ghug :ghug :ghug

:arrow: Ive been to Turkey twice in the past two years and didnt need jabs or tablets so I think you'll be cool without mate
:wave

Hi!

Briar put up a link regarding jabs etc earlier in the forum - my advice is its better to be safe than sorry!! :!:

Been going to Turkey for many years now and wouldnt go without ensuring all my jabs were not up to date. :D

Hello all those out there - at the end of August beginning of Sept - really cant wait!!

Joolz :wink:
Thanks Joolz, I totally agree with you. We are fully up to date with all our jabs, including many not required for Turkey. My question relates to what, if any, Malaria prophylaxis is actually required. All the web sites I look at say none required, but my GP got angry when I mentioned this. She has prescribed what seems to be the the most expensive Malaria prophylaxis in the land. This is not a problem if this is necessary, but I don't see the point in spending over £200 (including her fee for the private script) if £5 (Boots Chloroquine) is all that is required. I think I'll call NHS Direct to see what they advise.

:arrow: PS I have spoken to NHS Direct and given full details. They will call me tomorrow.
  • Edited by boblevin 2005-04-22 20:25:58
Thanks for pointing me to the two forums Briarskeg - I new there would be some somewhere. However, the last entries are 28/6/04 & 6/9/04 respectively and so are not "Live" where as this forum is very much alive and the question I am seeking a definitive answer too is very relevant to this forum. I do note that the main thrust of the messages on the other two forums is that Malaria is not a problem in Turkey tourist areas. I think I may stop my cheque to my Doc. Hmmmmm.

Does anyone out there know a professor in tropical diseases who has an informed opinion on this subject :?: :!:
Thanks Briarskeg. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I have been recklessly mislead by my GP. Can anybody help me out with geography. The view that I have found on several web sites and is also in the recent pharmacy guidance notes is:

"there is a risk in coastal regions east of Antalya which includes low-lying areas around Side and Adana. There is little or no risk in cities in cities in the popular resorts along the west and souther coast. No risk west of Antalya."

All you good map readers out there, would you please tell me how Sarigerme fits into the above extract.
  • Edited by boblevin 2005-04-22 08:20:37
Health advice from the FCO makes no mention of malaria.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386532

and I've never heard of anyone taknig malaria precautions in Turkey.
As a UK blood doner you are allowed to give blood after visiting the Southern tourist (med coast) areas of Turkey. Therefore it is safe. No tablets or injections necessary.
Thanks Ston & Rich C,

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAdviceForTravellers/GeneralHealthAdvice/Diseases/

states that it depends on area and time of year. If I am to tell my GP that she got it wrong, I must be sure that I am right, but even the government contradicts itself (nothing new there). The weight of evidence, however, does seem to support your views.

Any more offers anyone?
I have now had a call back from NHS Direct. They quoted from http://www.travax.nhs.uk which is a subscription only web site and is the source of reference used by my GP who gave me copies.

It says:

"there is a risk in coastal regions east of Antalya which includes low-lying areas around Side and Adana. There is little or no risk in cities in the popular resorts along the west and southern coast."

"PROPHYLAXIS: Chloroquine is recommended for prophylaxis in the risk areas described above".

It seems to me that it is not advising we take the very expensive Malarone. Have I got it wrong or has my GP got it wrong??
  • Edited by boblevin 2005-04-22 20:17:34
i bought mine over counter in boots vitamin b1 , i took them because i got no spleen and low on protection ,i also had every injection thar was available ..glad i did because i went to goa in march and would have needed them anyway .. so to me having injections saved me time .im now covered for 10 to 15 years ,,so can go almost anywere without even needing any more ,there free and only take seconds so why not have them
Sorry ladyjan, if you are replying to my posts on malaria prophylaxis I think you have missed their point. Yes I fully agree with you - vaccinations are very important.
i took vitamin b1 for turkey which was ok cos it not a danger zone ,, i took a duel malaria tablet from chemist 15.99 each person for india but even people visiting there didnt bother . so this time for turkey im taking nothing or maybe i might buy the vit b1 as it acts as food suppresent too :lol ate n drank loads and came back losing 3lbs :lol: must say i wasnt hungry during day and only ate on a night . looked good when i weighed in at slimming world :D
THE FINAL ANSWER:

Thank you Louise (the travel agent) for your message, which along with messages from various authorities on this subject have convinced me that my GP has given me seriously erroneous advise. Thank you all for your posts and advise. :P
  • Edited by boblevin 2005-04-22 20:15:00
Hi Briarkeg, Yes, I have written to her returning the prescriptions and enclosing copies of some of the heavy evidence supporting the view that not only have we been prescribed the wrong medication, but that no malaria prophylaxis what so ever is in fact required. I have stopped my cheque.

There is, possibly, a more sinister concern in that when I told her that my own research indicated that we did not require malaria prophylaxis, she pointed to her PC monitor and indicated an area shaded red along the south east border (with Iraq I think) in which appeared the word Sarigerme. What didn't click with me at that time was that Sarigerme is a coastal resort and this was inland. So, are there two towns called Sarigerme in Turkey? One of the Malaria info web sites I contacted via the Internet, emailed me the same map, with the same area shaded in red - the word Sarigerme does not appear in the red shaded area of that map - Hmmmm!!
ive just read that government website link and now im a bit worried lol. Terrorist attacks, avian flu and possible earthquakes :? im off to pegasos palace next month, do you think i will be safe lol. also i had hep a and b jabs plus had a tetanus booster but that was all my nurse said i needed she said i wouldnt need malaria as we arnt close enough to iraq.
@boblevin

She is obviously trying to rip you off. Sarigerme is not in SE Turkey. Moreover, malaria requires warm water bodies for the anopheles mosquito to grow, so it has no business in the SE.

Coastal areas are warm and a few of them have a lot of no-malaria mosquitos. I am from Turkey, and I have never known, heard of, or read about anyone contacting malaria. And when I was very little I had been eaten alive by mosquitos several times. And over the years a lot of towns in mosquito habitats got repeatedly gassed. I haven't even seen a mosquito for several years now.

I thought malaria was extinct in everywhere except the 3rd world countries. I don't think Turkey even vaccinates children for malaria.

@XxstephiexX

The total rate of deaths and injuries due to terrorism + earthquakes + avian flu is many times lower than the deaths and injuries due to traffic accidents in your country. How come you still drive your car?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.