Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Re: MALARIA
103 Posts
Hi I am off to Kenya in two weeks time. I picked up my prescription for Malarone 23 tablets yesterday from Superdrug and they charged me only £48. They said they are cheapest. So go there.
Dizz x
I took doxicyclone (not sure if that's how you spell it) on a trip to Kenya last year and had a really bad skin reaction. Came out in blisters it was agony. would only take malarone again in the future: paying the extra bit of money is much better than running the risk of side affects>>it will ruin your holiday!
I can only agree with you ,the side effects you suffered seem to be common to doxycyclene and are nasty , malarone expensive ,more than worth it if it suits you , cheers :) :)
what is the other one called that people use. I have heard the side affects are less extreme with it but you can get depression etc...it's on the tip of my tongue :tongue
sundaybrunch,

Is it Malarone you're thinking of? That's what I use when travelling to that part of the world.

Darren
Hi I think you are referring to LARIAM, (Mefloquine), they cost me 11.00 pounds from my pharmacy, much cheaper online,(check with your doctor or practice nurse first to see you are ok on them) that was for 8, I have no side effects on the apart from a little more tiredness,They are available in The Gambia for 320 dalasi for 6, however you need to take them 1 or 2 weeks before you leave and definately continue for at least a further 2 weeks after returning. chill cheers :fly :fly heers maxie

So sorry Jenni ,you are living proof there is malaria in The Gambia , some say we dont see it ,ergo it wont affect us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope you are much better
Yes Larium that was the one I was looking for. Many of the other people on my trip were taking it and didn't have any side-affects. However, I have heard some horror stories of extreme paranoia and hallucination. I would only take Malarone.
Another topic has a link to http://www.travelpharm.com/index.cfm/malaria/Products.List/category_id/27/subject/antimalarial_tablets which shows a list of each Anti-Malaria tablet, it also gives a dosage and how long they should be taken before and after your trip, might be of interest but do remember to shop around for the best deal.
Thanks sunday unfortunately malarone was giving me hallucinations, gambian doc stopped them and recommended lariam my own doc concurred ,I have been fine for 8 years with lariam . I never miss a dose ,cheers
Hi

Does anyone know if I can buy Malarone in Diani Resort, Mombassa as will be flying in from Moscow and you can only Get Lariam here and not Malarone

Thanks

Colin
We are looking at going to Kenya in late January and I have read that Malarone is a lot cheaper out there than in the UK (cheapest I have found is nearly £140 for 2 people for a 2 week holiday :yikes ). Does anyone know if it is readily available in the Daini Beach area and roughly how much it is?

Also, what about mossie repellant? Is it better to get it out there or at home, and which brand have you had the best results with?

Cheers

Keith
lewiskei,

I wouldn't trust getting Malarone in Africa as you could be sold anything. You need to start taking it 48 hours before you leave home as well so it's not practical to get it in resort anyway. You'll need 23 tablets for a 2 week stay (starting 2 days before travelling, one for every day of stay and 7 days after returning). £70 per person is about right, it's gone up since I last got some, it was only £2.10 per tablet then compared to up to £3.20 now. Travelpharm are about the cheapest at the moment at £2.25 per tablet. Whatever you do, don't risk going without adequate supplies as your risk of malaria is not only high, your travel insurance will be void as well. With insect repellent, again, I would take everything with you. Jungle formula is a popular choice but anything with a high DEET content. I have some wipes from work that are 70% DEET, SGI I think they are.

Darren
DEET 50% is also effective , as is a mossie net , BOP spray and anti-malarials :) :) :)
Just FYI, we got our Malarone from Asda Pharmacy. £2.10 a tablet

Cheers

Keith
malarone is available at Malaks pharmacy 2800dalasi for 12 ,buy them in the UK. Mefaquiline (Larium) is available at 50 dalasi per pill,the owner is a pharmacist.her meds are obtained from the UK. UK SUPPLIERS
maxie thanks for sharing. from there I will buy
Does anybody have current cheapest pharmacy for Malarone? my local pharmacy quoted £3.35 per tablet :yikes
I've always found Boots online the cheapest but even they are quoting £3.51 per tablet for 21 at the moment.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.