Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Hi Daw and Jeff

The hotel has its own website. There's very little info on it, but there are some photos http://www.dolomitihotel.net

HTH

luci :wave
Hi,
Heading for Malcesine last week in May. I've never been to Italy before. I would like some information please.
What's the weather like at that time? Is there "mozzies" - they always seem to like me !! The scenery seems to be stunning from some pictures I have seen. How long is the transfer from Verona airport? Are the ferries the best way to see around the lake - ? Are they available to hop on as one pleases rather than on the trips organised by the tour operators? What sort of a place is Malcesine - lively? Staying in Hotel Malcesine - any information about this hotel ?? :shock:
We stayed at Limone (just across the lake) at the end of May a couple of years ago. The weather then was very warm- shorts and t shirts, but because of the mountains there was some muggy stormy weather too.
Malcesine is lovely- castle/ harbour/ chairlift/ shops and cafes/ cobbled streets. I think your hotel is right next to the landing stage but not sure.
The ferries run all day around the lake, but it's much bigger than you think so need to allow a full day to get to the other end and back. You don't need to book a trip on them- just use them like buses! There are also small taxi type boats for short journeys but these are dearer.
By the way- you probably know it's pronounced "mal- ches- nee". I didn't and felt a bit foolish!
There is also a fairly good bus service for visiting towns on the same side of the lake, Riva, Torbbole, Garda and Bardolino. Malcesine also has nice promenades and beach areas either side of the castle.
There is a review of hotel Dolomiti on tripadvisor.com.Not so good I'm afraid.
we stayed at Hotel Malcesine in early June 2004. The hotel is situated right on the edge of Lake Garda about 150 yds from where the ferries dock. It is quite an old hotel but the accomodation was very clean with quite good food for a 3 star hotel. When we arrived we had been allocated a room in their annexe which was detached from the main hotel. It was dire. Fortunately we were able to upgrade to the main hotel for little cost.
We paid very little money for this holiday which is probably why we were put in the annexe!!

Despite this early setback we had a really good holiday. Malcesine is a lovely place, in my opinion the nicest town on the lake. It is traffic free so you will find that you will have to walk from the transfer to the hotel (about 5 mins). The weather was good apart from a thunderstorm when we arrived .
The ferries are the best way to get around the lake, just check the timetable on the previous day to see what time they leave to your chosen destination. You do not need to book on any organised trips around the lake . the only trip we booked was the day trip to Venice. It would have been a nightmare to find on your own!!
The scenery around Lake Garda is simply stunning. I will never forget the view of Malcesine as we left on the early morning ferry,
backed by the mountains, with the sun streaming through the clouds onto the town.
In the evening the town was surprisingly quiet once the daytrippers had left,the bars around the harbour kept us amused with entertainment laid on (mostly bands). The ferries stopped running about 6-7 each evening.
All in all a lovely place.
P.S. No mozzies either !!
Hope this helps you, have a good trip.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.