Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Malgrat De Mar
42 Posts
Hi Stephen, you will not be disappointed with malgrat, after all it's only down the road from calella, you can walk along the prom (shops)and into santa susana, another good resort, there are enough shops, bars and markets to get anything you want, even nappies.
The rail station in malgrat is good and a cheap way to see the coast and you can go back to calella for 2 euro. there is a good mixture of age groups and something for everyone, the whole family should enjoy. :D
I went to Malgrat in May/June this year with my teenage son and some of his friends. I was impressed that the restaurants made it clear that they would not serve alcohol to teens and there was not the yobby gangs of lads that you sometimes get in resorts.

We paid about five euros for a meal such as steak, chips and salad. We used the train a lot to go into Barcelona and neighbouring resorts - cheap, clean and reliable. There was a free bus to the local waterpark from Malgrat and Santa Susanna and the little pretend train that runs through the two resorts is fun.

Lots of retired people around and everyone is well behaved - I was quite glad that my teens were definitely discouraged from running riot!
hi went to santa susanna last year, malgrat and santa susanna is like a resort in one, you will find everything you want in the supermarket don't worry about that, santa susanna is lovely at night the spanish music and the stalls at night are great, you do not have to even go in a hotel for entertainment, you can see and here it walking past, you can go in any and are welcome nice resort, they merge into one depens where you are in malgrat, take the little train round santa susanna it is fun, and the station is great, for coppers you can see other resorts in mins, if you have not been to tossa a must by boat or train
Thanks for all your replies they have all been most useful :lol: .
A few more questions - Does anyone know where is the best place to go where the children can have a dance (they are all really into this now), and/or watch some cabaret acts :?:
Also can anyone recommend a place where I can hire a reliable car or find an organised trip to the town of Vic. I've been recommended to go here on Market day to experience the hustle and bustle of a true Catalan town. Has anyone else been here :?:
?
You can use any of the hotels along the front, pick the ones with a board outside saying things like " dancing tonite " " party nite " there are loads to choose from, also there are many clubs like Chaplins to look out for.
There are plenty of car hire firms, pick the one with the best deal, they will also give you a map to where you want to go, but don't miss Malgrat market. :D
malgrat and santa susanna murge into one, all the entertainment is based in the hotels the bill boards are outside and in most you can hear and see them as you pass the kids will like it , santa susanna at night have all little stalls and pipe music playing mime artists, its really nice , the hotels have different shows each night, they move from one to the other, take the kids on the little train it takes you up the back hills of santa susanna and has great views and the driver is funny the kids will like it, takes an hour, you are welcome in any hotel, lots of them you can just watch from outside if you wanted as most of them are in he open air, you see people dancing in the street good atmosphere, enjoy Rosie
just in the outskirts of Malgrat, at the foot of the hills is a nightclub called Siesta that puts on a show 2/3 nights a week i think. they take about 2000 people each night and put on show of Spanish dancing/guitar/singer etc and provide buffet meal. you can book this through most hotels/reps and it is one of the best holiday type shows i have seen.
the food is ok, there are free drinks and it costs about 20 euros.
i have never been a great fan of these type of evenings(free drinks all night excepted) but the lead dancer in this show is fantastic.
when i go back to malgrat i will definitely see this show again.
Hi just wondering if anyone has got any piccies of this resort. We are staying at the Maripins hotel this august we booked independantly and from looking in the brochurs many companies appear not to go to this resort, is there a reson for this? We are just looking for a two week break with a nice beach, no larger louts and sun!

any replys appreciated
nataliex
The main tour operators that go to Costa Brava are the coach operators, but there are lots of people who make their own way with economy airlines as well. I read a report recently that the main tour operators have cut back (and some have pulled out) due to the increased cost of the hotels and the lack of demand. 15 - 20 years ago the place was bustling, but now most of the resorts are quiet in August. There are a lot of German and Dutch in the resorts (who also travel by coach) who make up the majority of tourists now. You can avoid larger louts in any resort - just avoid the bars playing load music!
Anyone been yet this year? Any reports of good things, bad things, bizarre things? We're going to Malgrat this August so any comments on pubs, food, activities, etc etc gratefully received. :lol:
Were off to malgrat de mar 31st july. hotel papi, good pubs only across the road, little chef, prince of wales road, here i come. :D
im going on the 3rd august,,,,,,,,,,, santa susanna but seems to be about 800 meters to malgrat!!! hope its ok too. seems to have good reports,,,
and I'm off mid August. So if anyone gets back before we go, don't by shy ;)
hiya everyone......i got back from malgrat a week ago an miss it already (probly cuz i hate england so much) but i wanted to go back asap an me an a friend was thinkin abt 1st week in october.does anyone know if things will still be open then? as alot ov clubs an that were shut when i was there,im no its not gonna be busy but as long as a few pubs were open like euerka,robin hood wakiki,etc.And it was storms for the last 5 days i was there (still had great time tho) so cud anyone tell me what weather will be like.me and a friend are desperant to go back and i dont think i can wait untill next summer so please help thanks :wink:
Hi Lucy, glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday in Malgrat. We've been going there for years, we love it. We were there for two weeks in August and my mum is there at the moment. She is going back for half term week in October and taking my two boys with her but because lots of places are closed in Malgrat then they are going to Lloret instead, because it is busier. I don't think the Eureka will be open in October (it wasn't last year), I don't know if the Robin Hood or others in that road will be. If you go to Lloret there will be more to do and you could always spend the day in Malgrat if you wanted to see what's open. The weather is a bit unpredictable (as it is in the summer!). Obviously it isn't really hot, certainly not sun-bathing weather, but it is pleasantly warm, and definitely better than October in England! I hope you have a great time if you go back. (BTW we always stay at The Maripins and regularly visit The Eureka while we're there.)
cheers mate i think were just gonna leave it an go back next summer now(even though i dont know how im gonna be able to last lol) i went to lloret few years ago had great time but malgrat was just wicked we got talkin to workers and had a real good laugh with them,do you know if the same bar staff in all the bars will be the same next summer? everyone made our holiday even better in malgrat everyones just so friendly!!! but thanks anyway julie ill defo be goin back next year but in the main season this time then hopefully no thunder storms lol xxx
OK Lucy. I know what it's like when you come home from Malgrat and you just want to go back there ASAP!! I've felt like that for years. If it wasn't for the fact I won't fly, I'd buy an apartment out there and be back and forth all the time. The 24 hour road journey puts me off doing that though! Anyway, with regards to the bar staff, several of them return year after year, so you might see the same faces, it's always good to see the Eureka family every time we go there, my mum goes there so often that they give her a food order to bring back from England with her (Bisto, Heinz Ketchup, Daddies Sauce etc.) Their current building is a new one (only opened last year), they used to be nearer the old town (they were there since the 60s) and it was a right laugh, the new building doesn't quite have the same atmosphere but they're getting there. Well, I'm rambling now so I'll go! Start saving for Malgrat 2007!! Happy Hols.
hi we used to stay at the maripins not last 2years as ferris have stopped it in the brochure not many hotels that end of malgrat now . our names are dawn paul jemma dean from chester stayed there 2002-2004. our friends still stay there sarah dave they were there this year. we go end july 2 weeks. cant think who you are.
hi, lucy,
we came back from malgrat on 1st october we stayed at the maripins also
what a brilliant hotel. Im not shure about malgrat being open but last year we stayed in callella and l know the shops start getting ready to close after the last week in september.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.