Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
unfortunately the warning goes out every year with regards to quad bikes etc on here and other sites

don't ever consider them for whatever reason
I have just returned from a two week holiday in Malia. I am seventeen and it was my first holiday without parents. When you walk along the strip you are pestered by quad bike sales people every 2/3 shops. It is so easy to hire a quad bike, if you do not have a UK drivers liscence the quad bike shops let you pick a fake id they think resembles you from a selection they have. On my second week returning from a night out my friend stopped and asked if I would like a lift. Reluctantly I got on and 5 minuites later we crashed. I had to go to the hospital in Heraklyon with neck injuries and grazes all up my arms and legs. It cost me £1250 as my insurance did not cover it. Disaster. Stay away from quad bikes whatever you do. It is so dangerous.
Thank God your son is ok. Unfortunately these stories are oh so very common in malia now. We hired a quad here. The brakes were faulty. Returned within the hour of hiring and was threatened with I'd done it. I had to pay. Then one evening they stole my quad bike (we saw them drive it away) the next day told me I'd lost it when drunk so had to pay 500 euro. All crooks out there who think they own the island. Don't go to malia if you can help it.
DO NOT HIRE FROM THESE CON MEN PERIOD.Hermes rentals con people. They promise reasonable / cheap quad hire, then get people to sign contracts and pay 50eur making a point about this 'special insurance' which apparently covers every eventuality.The point is that the make you feel like this is all included in the 50eur price.They then get you to sign without the special insurance marked on the page (barely noticeable on purpose) and insist that you have to have it or bad things could happen. Like if the quad goes missing at night you'd have to pay thousands; whilst implying their own workers could take it back without you knowing as they have your hotel address where the quad will be after you've filled in the contract. So basically you if you don't pay the extra then you are in lots of trouble one way or another eventually....So another 110eur on top - which you may not have with you, so they get a dodgy bloke / employee to chauffeur you back to your hotel to pay.I HATE THESE SCUMBAGS! It was an awful experience when I was 17 / 18 years old. All I hope is that others don't hire from them and they close down.Please also note, this wasn't a rare thing. It was happening to most people hiring there also including some other friends of mine.They are threatening and intimidating too until you agree to pay. DO NOT HIRE FROM THEM!!
I watched a reality type show a while back that featured something similar except it was jetskis.

It showed a group of young lads hiring jetskis & on return being accused of causing damage the paintwork (scratched). They obviously disputed the claims & then a whole group of locals descended & started getting aggressive. The film crew eventually paid the "fine" for the lads even though they too could see that the damage was old, just to stop a riot!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.