Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Aww that's a shame Lal & am sorry your holiday wasn't as good as it should have been. I've been to Malta & I really liked it. Most of the places we stopped for coffee had waiter service. We stayed in a small fishing village so getting around was easy as it was flat & not overly busy apart from market days.

I hope your next holiday is more successful :tup
with it just being the 2 us and she s only 15 she found it very hard, the buses were really full wherever we went, I couldnt take my wheelchair s that stopped us doing as much as we wanted,we got a taxi quite a few times
Again I suppose we were lucky as, being in the village we were always one of the first to get on the bus & it was always fairly empty, picking up as we went along. From Valletta, again as we went to the bus station we always managed to get a seat for the return journey.

Trips out we used Tour companies, I think the most expensive was to Gozo and that was still really cheap. Your seat is 'reserved' so no problem there.

Which resort did you stay in?
we stayed in bugubba at the san anton , and martime in melliaha
I can understand exactly what you are saying, from Bugibba I presume it wasn't so bad as you would have got on at the bus stance or just a couple of stops in to the route? so in theory the bus was relatively quiet and you could have got a seat and wheelchair access?

The problems arrive if you join mid route, although most buses have space for a wheelchair / pram as you say the buses are often so full that it would physically be impossible to get on them, I am just back and commented on how nobody would give up the clearly marked designated elderly / disabled seats, to be fair it was usually Italian tourists, place was full of them this year pushing and shoving on to buses.
I is such a great pity as you have both missed out on so much, there were larger bendy buses in use however they were just to big and totally unsuitable for the narrow street in Malta.

Now that Arriva have pulled out of Malta some routes are once again being operated by small mini buses which are totally unsuitable for anybody with a disability or prams.

Although there has been a huge leap forward in recent years regarding disabled access to many buildings this can all be undone by the lack of simple things such as carrying a cup for somebody in crutches, having said that nearly every restaurant / café / bar does have full waiter service.

How did you get on at the Maritim in Mellieha as it can be a bit hilly there?

Such a shame both of your holidays were not what it could have been and I genuinely feel sorry for you as you have missed so much.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.