Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
You need to take this up with Balkan Holidays - the airport assistance staff will only provide what
Balkan Holidays request, and more to the point, pay for, when requesting that assistance for you. They should have checked your requirements when accepting the booking and then ensured that the necessary assistance was booked for you. I have regularly requested wheelchair assistance for departures and arrivals at Manchester Airport for my mother and had excellent service when travelling with Jet2, Monarch and EasyJet. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of service did you receive at your destination airport and on return to Manchester?

I now, however, refuse to travel with her on Ryanair because it doesn't matter which airport we've used, we have never had good service (though we never travelled out of Manchester with them) because of their penny-pinching attitude.

SM
I recieved excellent service arriving and departing in varna, it was second to none. Im travelling to malta in feb with easy jet, as its only me and my young daughter Im hoping for better service
What happened when you arrived back at Manchester? Had Balkan got their act together in time for your return and got the assistance booked so that it was ready and waiting for you at the aircraft as it landed at Manchester?

SM
landing in manchester was great wheelchair and assistant all ready as was on my forms, but checking in was disastrous they just didnt bother to try and help
You really do need to take this up with Balkan - they should not have left you to sort it out on your own as they did. Once you arrived at check-in it was their responsibility to take it from there. Sounds like they eventually got their act together for your return but Balkan should be holding their hands up about this.

SM
its the first time Ive travelled being disabled, so its was all new to us, I think next time Id be more vocal
Real shame to hear you had a disappointing experience; definitely would agree that you should explain. We're travelling with a family member who needs extra asistance (from Manc airport) early next year and a bit nervous about it to be honest. Someone told me that most places offer airport wheelchairs but i don't know if that's true for Manchester does anyone know? Think this would be a great help around the terminal and looking to sort out extra assistance getting on/off the plane.
We've always had a wheelchair provided for my mother's use on arrival at the airport. You should book the assistance through the customer service dept of either your TO if on a package, or the airline if flying scheduled or DIY. When you ring they ask you a number of questions to determine just exactly what assistance you need - this can include you being met at the airport drop-off points, airport car parks or off-site car parks shuttle buses etc or whether just from the check-in desk.

You should contact them as soon as you have your flight details confirmed but the date from which you can actually book the assistance can vary between TOs and carriers but checking this out will help put your mind at rest.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.