Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
went last year - wondeful hotel. great staff and food, and a wonderful location - would agree the entertainment not great, but then we made our own lol
hi can anyone help going to marhaba palace hotel in port el kantaoui on 17th august 08 first time to tunisia so any help would be grateful, has anyone been what is it like as am only looking for half board is it near the center where there are lots of shops and restaurants.
Heard the hotel is refurbished is this true, how long transfer is it from airport.
Is there safes in the rooms.
Also been told that you can only change money when you get to tunisia is this true also what is the best money to use.
And the last question how hot will it be in august :oops:
thanks
Hi Presty,

The Marhaba Palace is a stone's throw away from the Marina where you'll find plenty of restaurants and cafes for lunch at incredibly cheap prices (personally I would never book full-board at any hotel for this reason). Shopping is limited to tourist goods (souvenirs, local pottery etc.) and you will experience the hard-sell from the local traders, but a polite no thankyou and walking away is usually enough to leave them to pounce on the next victim!! I stayed at the Marhaba palace in August of this year and there were no refurbishments at this time, though the hotel was clean and in good order so this may well have happened before or since my stay. I don't think that there was a safe in the room come to think of it, though they may have been available to hire from reception.

July/August time is absolutely scorching (sometimes unbearably so), temperatures have been known to soar over 100 degrees so sunbathing and walking around can be challenging!

Tunisian dinars can't be brought in or out of the country so you can exchange sterling at the airport or at your hotal reception upon arrival. There are also cash machines in the airport, in some hotels and all around the marina, there's also a bank in the marina where you can exchange sterling too. You're not permitted to take Dinar out of the country, so you'll need to change it or spend it before you pass through the passport checkpoint in the airport (i.e. before duty free).

You've picked one of the nicer hotels in Tunisia (though it may still fall short of some expectations of a 4 star hotel, as do all Tunisian hotels generally) Hope that's helpful and that you have a good holiday!! :D
Can anyone tell me if there are kettles in the rooms at the Marhaba Palace please or do we have to take a travel one?
Cheers
eee
:think
No they dont have kettles in the rooms.
Cheers Crispy. I will pack the trusty travel kettle then!!
regards
eee
:)
We stayed at the Marhaba Palace last year - as said, there wasn't a kettle (we took a travel one), but there was a small mini-bar type fridge in the room - large enough to keep milk, drinks and chocolate in for the little 'un.

Its a very nice hotel, very handy for the Marina and shops/cafes/restaurants (only 5 minutes walk).

Have a good 'un! :tup
Thanks for that info!! We fully intend having a good 'un!!!! If you have any more tips for us that would be great. Only 3 weeks to go!!
Cheers
eee
:tup
yes learn no thankyou in tunisian, and no thanks all inclusive

been tunisia for last 2 years and not again.

everyone is after your money. tip for this, tip for that ,taxi fares ripped off,even getting money changed in hotel they were taking 2 dinars out of every £20 changed. didnt relise untill late in holiday. and i stayed at royal salem nighmare
tofwig wrote:
yes learn no thankyou in tunisian, and no thanks all inclusive

been tunisia for last 2 years and not again.

everyone is after your money. tip for this, tip for that ,taxi fares ripped off,even getting money changed in hotel they were taking 2 dinars out of every £20 changed. didnt relise untill late in holiday. and i stayed at royal salem nighmare

Thanks for your thoughts tofwig.

Sorry to hear you feel you had a rough deal. We are well prepared having been before and it's a bit late to change things now as we go next week!! We will be extra vigilant following your warning.

eee
After too many years at les Orangers Hammamet we are thinking of trying The Marhaba Palace this September 09. The reviews look good, any feedback or tips on the hotel :think would be more than welcome.

Many thanks

Kev & Norina.
went there a few years ago and i was really good. great position and facilities - great food.....I'd recomend it.

kev
Hi Kev S

I see you usually go to Les Orangers in Hammamet, could you give me some info on what the hotels like, rooms,food etc

There doesn't seem to be many reports about this hotel so getting up to date information is hard so anything you could tell us would be great :cheers
Ormmoth.

They say that Les Orangers is the best AI in Tunisia, and i could not agree more.

The food is fine even if does become a bit repetitive, but you could say that of AI anywhere. Do try the Thai resturant that they have set up at the beach resturant, when last there July 08 you could vist as many times as you wanted none of this 1 vist per stay.

The rooms are cleaned daily, same with the corridors and communal areas. Towels are provided by the pool so thats one thing less to take.

The hotel is on the beach midway between the old town and Jasmine which are both about 45 minute walk along the beach or a few Dinar by taxi ( always some outside the hotel ). Les Orangers is at the end of the road so no noise from passing traffic. Plenty of shops and resturants in the area and a fixed price shop in the grounds.

I could go on and on about this hotel, the staff cannot do enough for you and a few Dinar's here and there go along way.

Take the plunge my friend I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

Damm now i want to go back.
P.S Worth the extra for the superior sea view rooms.

Hope this helps

Kev :sun2
Thanks thats been a great help was thinking of cancelling :yikes

Is there an atm close to the hotel at all ?
Hi.
Thinking about booking The Marhaba Palace Hotel for June 2010. But have been told to go to The Royal Kenz instead.
Has anyone been to either of theses hotels and if so which would they recommend and why.
Also does The Marbaba / Kenz provide pool towels. Thank you. :)
Hi suntaned girl welcome to HT :wave:

I can't help you specifically but while you wait for some replies hvae you taken a look at these reviews which give some info -

Marhaba Palace - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/tunisia/port-el-kantaoui/marhaba-palace-hotel/

Royal Kenz - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/tunisia/port-el-kantaoui/royal-kenz-hotel/

also some good info about the Royal Kenz in this topic - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23179

Graham
Thank you Graham, any information is welcome.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.