Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
We have reviews from people who have stayed here this year:-

HERE
I know, thats what I thought when I read the latest review of the hotel we are going to in June.

Countless positive reviews up to now but just read this fromthe Holiday Truths reviews:-

There are certain things you expect with any package holiday: flights rammed with chavs, suspect food and service tailored to the herd, not the individual.
With these things in mind, all we really wanted out of this holiday was some guaranteed February heat in pleasant surroundings and within easy flying time of England.

We arrived late on a Sunday night, following the seemingly inevitable transfer delays, and settled down in a modest room in anticipation of a much-needed night's sleep. But at 6.30am we were awoken by the sound of gushing water in the corridor outside out room. Much of the second floor was flooded, including our room. Staff rushed around outside our room trying to mop up the deluge with noisy vacuum cleaners. No assistance was forthcoming. We had to gather our sopping possessions and make our way reception where staff eventually agreed to provide a replacement room [here the plumbing was sound, but the electrics haywire], but refused to offer any apology.

Not wanting to have our holiday spoiled by a shabby hotel, we got on with things, avoided the chavs and had a remarkably pleasant holiday. In particular, we enjoyed a two-day trip taking in the Sahara - and not only because this meant a night away from the Marhaba 'Palace'.

Back at the Palace, eager as we were to put the day one wash out behind us, it was difficult not to notice that almost every aspect of the hotel was not up to scratch.

In particular, the food, even by package holiday standards, was at best repetitive and arguably bland and even unhealthy-hardly what you want from a week of relaxation in a location where the local Mediterranean catch is second to none. What made the eating experience worse were the Communist-style waiting arrangements. Hoards of dickie-bowed and frankly rather gormless 'waiters' seemed incapable of clearing plates, setting tables and fetching drinks, their only tasks in this self-service establishment. At breakfast, one man was assigned the task of clearing teapots, another charged with doling out coffee and another still with dishing out the napkins. A novel system of running a restaurant and probably one which I would not have noticed had it worked. The plain truth is that it did not work. If you asked the napkin man for a fork, he would agree to get you one and then carry on regardless with his paper distribution. Meanwhile the fork man was nowhere to be seen. Yes, such niggles may seem small, but they cropped up at every turn - with reception staff, in the bar, the gym and by the pool - and as such grated.

There was a constant sense that the Palace over-promised and under-delivered. Had the hotel been described as 3 Star and not an implausible 4, we may have tempered our expectations accordingly. In the absence of such candour, I feel unable to rely on Thomson ratings again. We didn't expect much, but we got significantly less than we expected. Avoid

Anyone been recently or not so recently that can put my mind at rest? :?
We stayed at the marhaba palace last sept and it was great none of us had a single complaint. I have stayed in a few hotels in tunisia but the marhaba has to be the best. We will be booking the marhaba next year for our holiday.
Personally i cant understand what people have to complain about with this hotel but then peoples expectations differ.

Hope all that are going to the marhaba this year have a fantastic time.

jane
Well I'm off to the marhaba palace on 30th April my 9th trip to Tunisia but 1st to this hotel will let you know what it's like when I get back :D
Well luckybunny - I'm heading out on my first trip to Tunisia (and this hotel funnily enough :wink: ) the week before you, so I'll make sure its up to scratch!

I was just doing a bit of research on the place when I discovered this website - what a little gem! Most of the stuff I'd wondered about has already been answered, I just have a couple of quick questions that maybe someone could answer?

1. What's the water like over there? (i.e. is it a case of brushing my teeth with bottled water etc, or can I drink pints of tap water and feel no ill effect?... or something in between?)

2. What's the situation with money, because different sources provide different information. (i.e. what, if any, can be exchanged on my way out of the country, and am I better off travelling there with Travellers Cheques, Sterling notes, or my bank card for cash machine withdrawals?

Thanks,
Michael
Hi Michael,

The water is perfectly safe to clean your teeth with and I have even used it to swallow tablets with no ill effect but it is perhaps better to use bottled water to drink as it occasionally has an odd taste. You can get it almost anywhere, as well as in the hotel itself, but if you are arriving late it may be worth taking some in with you for the first night/early morning.

You can't get Tunisian currency outside of the country but there is a bureau de change at the airport, there are ATMs on almost every street and your hotel will also change money for you, though sometimes only at fixed times of day. As I sometimes travel independently I usually take a bit of sterling to change at the airport for train or taxi fares then use the ATMs as I need them. If you are going as a 'package' and using the coach transfer to your hotel you won't actually need cash straight away - hold onto your luggage if you can and don't let the porters at the airport grab it as they will expect a tip. If a porter from the hotel takes your bags to your room and you want to tip him he will be quite happy to accept English money (50p/£1 will be fine).

I'm glad you found this site useful. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. I'll be in Sousse at the same time you're in PEK but I doubt we'll be on the same plane as I'm flying into Tunis.
Good stuff, thanks.

Also, my girlf is asking about dress code. I've read that on the beach, round the pool etc you're free to wear what you normally would, however further 'inland' you're expected to cover up.

What would you say is appropriate attire for different places? And to what extent 'cover up'?

Thanks,
Michael
Hi again Michael,

As you've read, on the beach most things are acceptable, though things like thongs may get her more attention than she feels comfortable with. In the town skirts, dresses, trousers or even the longer sort of shorts are fine. T-shirts or a loose top are best and I wouldn't recommend bare midriffs, though you do obviously see tourists wearing them. If you are visiting any 'religious' sites, or more rural areas, trousers or a longish skirt with a similar top are probably safest. Tunisia is very relaxed for a moslem country but in rural areas people are rather more conservative and she will certainly feel happier if she doesn't feel people are staring at her. It would be useful to have something like a sarong or light shawl in her bag, which can be used at any time to cover up if she feels it is necessary. Obviously if you are visiting the desert (or riding a camel) trousers are the best thing to wear.
stayed in this hotel i October and it was fntastic - staff were great, food was great, location was great - can't fault it in any way. any info you need, I'll be pleased to answer
Hi all, I've just booked this hotel late June, getting away without the kids for the 1st time!!!. there seems to be a mixed bag of reveiws going about. What's the lastest report? Good or bad? We don't look for any thing to up market just a good, clean hotel wit reasonable service and food. Whats the lastest on the sun beds? i'm not one for getting up at the crack of dawn, laying the towels and going back to bed.
Any info relainting to the holel of PEK would be of use as it will be our 1st trip here, and as I chose it , the wife will give me pelters if it's not up to scratch.

thanks
:lol:
Hi

We have booked to go to Marharba Palace for the end of April and really looking forward to our holiday after reading all the good reviews on this site. We have friends who would like to join us, I am a little concerned regarding the drink situation there. I am sure they will be fine with the food, but they like wine and beer, are they palatable and what kind of prices are they? We are spirit drinkers so will be bringing our duty free with us!!!

Also are beach towels provided, (leaves a little more room in the suitcase if you dont have to take your own), and is there a charge for matresses for the sunbeds? Also would we be able to swim in the outdoor pool, or will it be too cold at this time of year?

I know the hotel is not too far from the Marina and as the husband likes to have a stroll in the evening will there be any place there for him to have a pint?

I hope someone who has been recently can help with my queries.

Thanks in anticipation

Vonnie :) :)
The Golf Brau by the Golf Residence hotel does draft beer which he may like. The bottled beer is Celtia, which I personally find quite palatable but is not particularly strong. I prefer red wine and particularly like Magon, which is made in Tunisia. Prices vary, depending on where you get it. I've never tried the white wines though the roses are quite drinkable. The Marina is a lovely place to wander round at any time and you can sit in a cafe with a drink or a snack and watch the musical fountains in the evening.
As you cant drink the water in Tunisia, can you drink draught beer as the pumps will have been washed out with local water?

Also Briar HT Mod mentioned ice for spirits but I thought you couldnt have ice out in Tunisia because of the local water, or are they made from mineral water? if so how can you be sure?

Sorry to be very questioning but I cant wait for my first Tunisia trip and dont want to get ill :wink:
Just stop worrying! Many of us on here have been going to Tunisia for years and we are still alive to tell the tale. :lol: I've even drunk the water with no ill effects - Tunisia is actually the only place I always feel completely well. If it bothers you stick to bottled beer and water.
Many thanks to Briar and Aslemma you have put our minds at rest re the beer, can I ask you if you can recommend some nice local drinks, not necessarily alcoholic (when in Turkey I liked the apple tea but not fussy on Mint tea).

Could I also ask if you know of anywhere we could hire a motorised wheelchair, one of our friends has difficulty walking distances, he will be ok in the hotel but will struggle walking to the marina, although if there are seats on the way he may be able to manage it, but a wheelchair would definitely be a help.

Thanks once again.

Vonnie :D :D :D
The fresh orange juice is very good and the icecreams are excellent, especially in the cafes around the marina. I'm definitely not a fan of mint tea and only drink it for politeness when invited to local homes. Tunisians drink a lot of coffee but you would need to ask for a cappuchino or something similar or you may get a very small strong 'espress', which I quite like but two sips and it's gone.

Sorry I can't help you regarding a wheel chair. Unfortunately, Tunisia can be a bit difficult for those with walking problems, as although the area is fairly flat, they have a disconcerting habit of planting trees in the middle of the pavements, especially round Sousse. :roll: He shouldn't have too much trouble round the Marina in PEK but it may be worth asking your tour operator if they know where you could hire a wheelchair or, if they can't help, you could perhaps e-mail your hotel direct. If it is just that he needs to sit down occasionally, it may be worth seeing if you can pick up a lightweight collapsible seat - I can never find a seat when I want one although there are quite a few around.
He may have slight difficulties around the marina because it is mostly cobbled walkways and may be abit bumpy on the old wheelchair, but there are lots of places to stop, sit and take a break if need be.
Hi all, I've just booked this hotel late June, getting away without the kids for the 1st time!!!. there seems to be a mixed bag of reveiws going about. What's the lastest report? Good or bad? We don't look for any thing to up market just a good, clean hotel wit reasonable service and food. Whats the lastest on the sun beds? i'm not one for getting up at the crack of dawn, laying the towels and going back to bed.
Any info relainting to the hotel or PEK would be of use as it will be our 1st trip here, and as I chose it , the wife will give me pelters if it's not up to scratch.

hi was there last june hotel lovely food not too good we ate out nearly all of the second week, to get a decent sunbed by the pool with umbrella you need to tip the pool man and he puts his own towels on the beds till you get there, don`t agree with it but is a must im a sunworshipper but it was so hot on an afternoon you needed to get in the shade, you can also do this at the beach but i would not bother, lovely beach but they only have chairs like old type deck chairs no good if you want a lie down or to tan your back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.