Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
I've added this hotel to our review site.

If anyone has stayed here please assist your fellow holidaymakers by writing your review: http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/spain/costa-brava/malgrat-de-mar/maripins-hotel/

Many Thanks.
we have stayed in this hotel twice, 2 and 3 years ago. it is still one of our favourites as it seems to cater more for oldies.
food was quite good, but like all spanish hotels does get repetitive.
plenty sunbeds around good size pool and best feature is waiter service for drinks and snacks while lazing on sunbed - note,we found that the politer you are to waiters the better the service you got and a small tip helped :) .
bar and dining area will have been refurbished over winter as they were flooded out last year.
plenty bars in side road beside hotel papi and also a couple of british bars in main shopping street.
beach is steep and you have to go under railway to get there.
get the noddy train and do a full circle on it and you will find plenty shopping places in the old part of town. there is also bus stop opposite hotel which goes to santa sussanah station ideal for market day.
best entertainment is night at siesta nightclub -spanish dance show is fantastic-best on costa brava.
for more info on malgrat try
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Spain/Catalunya/Malgrat_de_Mar-261916/TravelGuide-Malgrat_de_Mar.html
hi,
we are booked to go to the marapins hotel in malgrat in september has anyone been there recently.
many thanks
jan
there is only 1 review for this hotel in the review pages but i would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone. have stayed there twice in the past, before i started going with ferris, and am looking at booking this direct for september myself. cant make up my mind yet to return here or calella or try salou for first time.
they dont have a great deal of entertainment on in the evenings, but they are only a short distance from siesta nightclub which has one of best spanish type shows. book through rep or hotel.
normally this hotel caters for older guests, but that means it is usually quiet at night :D .
hotel had a revamp last winter as it was closed due to the bad floods that affected whole area last october, so you should get nice shiny new restaurant and bar.
my partner, who was not the best swimmer , reckoned this hotel had best pool(the waiters would even bring snacks and drinks to you at your sunbed) and the sun terrace wasn't too bad either.
If anyone would like to add a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
many thanks for your reply on the marapins as we are in the same age group as yourself that sounds great we are also going in september in a group of 9 some people older than us so that should suit them as well. we had a good deal from holiday hotels and fixed uo our own flights and transfers the other end. spent last 2 holidays in calella thought it was a great place. we are the same as you we have never been to salou but my husband says he wants to try there next year. if l can give you any help with callella please let me know. many thanks again happy holidays jan
I am off to the Marapins at the end of the month. Does anyone know which rooms have the best view.Do the rooms at the front have a lot of road noise. Any advice please.
the rooms in the annex at the back are ok, but the view is lousy.
you would be better to request a sea view or pool view.
malgrat in general and the maripins in particular are relatively quiet compared to other areas/hotels.
Building and road works near there. also there has been all night pop concerts going on . in the football ground.
Thanks Have requested a pool or sea view.Fingers crossed.
I stayed at the Maripins for two weeks this year (July/Aug) rooms 118/119 overlooking the pool area. We've had those two rooms for the last 8 years! The rooms are double glazed so even if it's noisy outside you can hardly hear it inside. The live music in the hotel finishes at 11.30 pm now so it isn't late. We don't even notice the train going past anymore.

I'm sure you'll have a super time :D

We always do :lol:
Just back from the Marapins.5 night stay in room 306.This hotel is well worth the price you pay.Food i found very good and the room was clean and bright.Had a look at another room 213 at the back of the building and the view was dreadful.thanks to jimd-f i e-mailed the hotel prior to leaving and requested a room overlooking the pool area and this was provided.
hi going to the maripins in june.what is the tipping rule.is it every time you buy a drink or at the end of the evening and how much we want to do the right thing . :que
roda girl,
i posted this reply on TA as well.
the maripins does buffet meals so there is no need to tip the waiters.

they used to have waiters bring you drinks and snacks(pizza and toasties) when you were lying by the pool. and the waiters will expect a small tip if they still do this. this is the best money you can spend while there as you never need to do anything but rest in the sun if you treat these waiters right!

as others have said, in restaurants the waiters are normally happy with a lower level of tip than in england -5% would be acceptable.

in british type bars where you pay for your drinks as you go along tips are not expected but are always welcome.

in spanish type bars/cafes then a small tip when you leave will suffice.round the bill up to the nearest euro, or just leave 1 euro. they are used to receiving tips of 20 cents for 2 coffees
:cheers thanks for the advice ,can you hire a fridge at the maripins ,what is the e mail address so we can contact the hotel to ask for a sea view ,thankyou so much for your help .
:cheers we went to the maripins hotel and we loved it ,we went by ferris coaches and they are a really good company.they will help in any way they can .i have just put on my review .the hotel staff are great .tomas and miguell are great.food was good .we love tomas he was so funny .we want to go again soon. :sun2
Does anyone know if the Maripins hotel is taking bookings for 2013 as I hear they have changed ownership. I have emailed the hotel to book but had no reply?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.