Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Don't think there's a market in Palma Nova, but there's a big Car Boot Market in Magalluf each Saturday morning throughout the year.

The best Market is in Andratx, which is maybe a 2 or 3 euro bus ride away, on a Wednesday morning, and is massive. The Reps will try and sell you it as an excursion, and throw in a Blanket factory tour, or similar to justify the extortionate price they charge. Save your money and get the bus, or if there's 3 or 4 of you get a taxi for maybe 20 euros.

Real Mallorca's ground is in Palma, about 20 minutes away by Taxi, a bit more complicated by Bus, and the prices vary enormously according to the opposition. Tickets for home games against Real Madrid or Barcelona will set you back over 100 euros a ticket. Thomsons do run a trip for most home games, and it includes transport, so probably worth looking at.

There's a small football ground in Magalluf, probably the equivalent of lower divisions, maybe even non league football. The pitch is very sandy, but it's worth a visit. I've never paid to get in, but I think maybe you're supposed to! Occasionally you get a "friendly" game between the workers and Police, but it's not very pretty!

There is actually a Cricket Ground in Magalluf, where they play host to touring teams from England, and you can usually see a game of cricket 2 or 3 times a week.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Adam
Following on from the question about the football team..me and my partner are going to Majorca on 19th February and as we are both into football, we want to take in the football on the 24th. Betis are playing at Mallorca's ground. Presuming this isn't going to be as expensive as say Barcelona/Real Madrid. Will we have problems getting tickets or not?

Thanks.
Depends how late you leave it, I suppose. I wouldn't trust to turn up at the ground without a ticket. If you're staying at a Thomson Hotel, then ask them and they'll put you in touch with whoever runs the trip for them. It used to be Simon Peters (anybody from Leeds might remember Simon, he was a Local Radio DJ and Ground Announcer at Elland Road) but I haven't seen Simon for a while, so it may be somebody else who runs it now.

If you're not at a Thomson Hotel, ask at the local Agencies who sell excursions, or even go and see the Thomson Rep, at a local Hotel, and I'm sure they'll help you.

I imagine you can probably book online, but can't help you any more than that.

Cheers

Adam
Thanks. Will try and sort it once we get out there on the 19th.
Spoke to Simon last year when we were over and he has left Thomson and was setting up his own tours from Magaluf. I can't remember the name of his place but it's a small travel place not far away from Goodfellows. Anyway Thomsons were still doing the tours themselves last year. Either contact Thomsons (rep or phone main office) or look for Simon's flyers.

As for this game there shouldn't be any problems getting tickets. Barcelona and Real Madrid are the only two that sell out. Tickets will be available at the ticket office right up to kick off and will start for this game at approx 25 euros. Of course if you do go the excursion way tickets are included.

To the original question, in the summer it will be off season so no football of premier standard although the minor leagues may still be on.
Market at Santa Maria del Cami,much better than the normal tourist markets.
Thanks for your posts everyone. Pipefitter - how far is this market from Palma Nova? :)
im looking to start a football academy for 4-11 year old children in the Magaluf/Palma Nova area. Could anyone advise if there are already academy's set up in this area please. Also can anyone advise where I can get a list of suitable venues around this area? Thanks for your help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.