Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Hi Layla and :welcome to HT.
Congratulations on your upcoming Silver Wedding anniversary. I've not been to Mauritius but will get there eventually and it would be April we would go. Although we have Le Preskil listed in our reviews here, it has yet to get its first review.
If you are going AI you would not need a lot of cash and your hotel does have exchange facilities. Perhaps someone can help with ATM locations.
this is a good thread for coping with long haul :)
Fiona - 30 years is Pearl. Siver is 25
and this gives ideas with how to spend your time at the airport :)
I stand corrected on the anniversay- have to admit I read it as 25 years- teach me to read too quickly :D
You haven't got much choice, with all these posts coming thick & fast.
Hi Fiona and Helen T
many thanks for replies and helpful tips - ipod and ds charging as we speak! Glad to hear Fiona that you would chose April to go too, have been a bit worried that I booked to late in the season and was in for rain, cyclones and little sun. We are going half board - not a great lover of AI as we like to try different local restaurants and don't like being too tied down and since me and hangovers don't get on :tongue not too bothered by price of booze. Still mums-da-word to hubby - have never kept a secret for so long! Thanks again :) Layla x
I did wonder what you have telling OH. :D So when are you going to tell him- he will need to pack different clothes :)
Had to tell OH that my 50th birthday gift to him was a holiday and when we were going cos he had to book holidays from work. Have just refused to tell him where cos its a suprise! Three children - in their 20's - are playing along and 'slipping up' and mentioning New York and going OOPPs ! Big city and hundreds of shops would be OH worst nightmare. Not sure when to tell him, would love to leave it until in airport but would have to pack different case with beach stuff..... now theres a plan :rofl Layla x
:rofl I think that is brilliant. Tell him the day before you go. I think if I was told the day before I would have a nightmare but we women need more time to prepare! ( Just make sure he has everything he would need) :tup
I did the same Layla - told him we were going to my sisters for a few days and landed up in Krakow. Think I told him a few days before we went.
Layla,

I went to Mauritious 18 months ago, it's a fabulous country and a great place to spend your pearl wedding annivesary. Are you flying with Air Mautitius? They are excellent and better than I expected. I'd certainly choose them over BA / Virgin for economy. Hope you aren't coming back via Paris with Air France, they weren't as good as I expected, even when flying in the posh seats! As long as you can through-check your luggage, there's not much you can do at the airport apart from have something to drink / eat, do a bit of shopping, watch the aircraft and wait! Charles De Gaulle isn't the best airport for transitting, it's a slick operation but not much to see or do. They do have free playstations though, if you can get on one! You'll struggle to get your Ruppee's outside of Mauritius, but all currencies are widely accepted. They use the euro as much as their own currency, and US dollars and sterling are also accepted. The exchange rate with the euro is poor at the moment, so might be better to get US Dollars and change them when you get there, or just take sterling. You'll be able to exchange them in your hotel or one of the local banks (normally a better exchange tate there). Cash machines are few and far between apart from in the major cities so I wouldn't reply on them. Most debit and credit cards are accepted in hotels and the major towns and cities. The hotel will probably have a smart / casual dress code in the restaurant in the evening, ie no shorts. The speciality restaurant(s) will be a little more formal, but not dinner jackets, long trousers and shirt etc. You don't need a visa or vaccinations but if you've been to a country where yellow fever is present, you'll need to prove you've had the yellow fever vaccination. They are very strict on this and have a check point before you get through immigration where they'll go through your passport to see where you've travelled to previously. If you can't prove you've had it, they'll refuse you entry. Weather in april averages 82f with 8 hours of sunshine per day and 5" rain per month. These are of course averages, but it's their autumn so should be nice. You tend to get most rain at night and in short bursts inthe day. You might find my trip (flight) reports useful;

Manchester-Mauritius Via Paris, Sept 2007
Mauritius-Manchester Via Paris, Sept 2007

It's a fabulous country, I'm sure you'll enjoy :sun2

Darren
Wow Darren, what a reply - better than reading a travel brouchure!! Many thanks :tup We're flying Dublin-Heathrow-Mauritius on the way out and Mauritius-Charles de Gaule, Paris-Dublin on the way back with a 4hr stop over each way. Hope Paris has improved since you had to spend time there! Seems best to bring euros with us and use credit card. Relieved about weather report and non formal dinner threads, not to mention confirmation of no vaccines needed - hate needles! Am Soooo looking forward to the experience. Only thing still keeping fingers crossed about is our accomodation - know anyone who has stayed at Le Preskil Beach? Thanks again :) Layla x
The Le Preskil Beach is listed in the hotel reviews section, but no ones left a review as yet. It's not one of he hotels I've seen (we travelled around Mauritius a lot!) so I can't help I'm afraid. It's not that CDG is bad, but the terminals are a little bland. Given the option of transitting through LHR or CDG, I'd certainly choose CDG though! Travelling from Manchester, we had the option of both and CDG is the better option purely on a 'chance of a delay' question. You'll have a great time and will have to be the first to comment on the hotel when you get back!

Darren
Looking forward to doing review of Le Preskil when we get back - hopefully a glowing one! Still hopeful someone who has been there will come out of the woodwork and get in touch before april. Does anyone know if mosquitos are an issue in mauritius :duh and if so what have you found that has worked? Many thanks :) Layla x
Layla,

I've never found mozzies a problem in Mauritius. They are present, but not in big numbers. Then again, I've only been in the dryer months so there maybe more around when you're travelling. Just use the plug-in type of insect repellents in your room and the usual insect repellents when you're out an about. They work well.

Darren
Mosquitos not a problem except for me at the Pamplemousses Botanical Garden where my legs were extremely badly bitten and I ended up having to see a doctor due to an allergic reaction, but I think I was just unlucky.
Hi all !! thanks to sunbedqueen for reply. Do any of you have thoughts on half board versus all inclusive for holiday? Have posted seperate question site for this but still unsure :que Told OH this weekend - he over the moon and spending hours over info on mauritius! Glad I told it is great to be able to talk about it with him - and he DID think we were going to New York! 6weeks 3days 4hrs and 22mins left :hols
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.