Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Mauritius
50 Posts
Thanks MarkJ...at about 50 rupees to the pound those prices seem quite reasonable and the restaurant looks quite smart. Certainly cheaper than the UK. Even the most expensive main is only £15 and lobster is £11, most other mains as you say about a fiver..wow
Mauritius in December will be fabulous but you will need to avoid Xmas if you can. Most of the hotels you see advertised are all inclusive or half board but there are plenty of cheaper but good quality ones. We stayed at Perebere in the north of the island near Grand Baie B&B in a nice hotel with a pool etc and ate there a few evenings. Local restaurants, esp Chinese were excellent and cheap. Car hire is very expensive unless you 'borrow' a car from a local - this can be done via reception. The car will not be up to much but a lot cheaper than Avis or Hertz. Public transport is very cheap but the drivers drive like madmen. Although English is the official language few speak it. Plenty of good public beaches such as Mon Choisi, Trou aux Biches, Albion, Perebere. Make sure you go to Souillac, Morne, Seven Earths and Pamplemousses. If there's enough of you I'd recommend hiring a minbus & driver. We flew direct with BA - cramped but lots of free booze
Hi,
We are considering going to Mauritius for our next holiday. Thinking of booking flights and villa ourselves instead of doing a package.

Just wondered if anyone knows the cost of food, petrol and eating out in Mauritius?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
If you look a few posts back in this thread (they seem to be merging similar threads these days) you will see some details on the price of eating out in Mauritius...surprisingly reasonable. I used to be under the impression that it was best to go All-inclusive in Mauritius but it seems that may not be the case.
Help! We are planning our Honeymoon for next September (2006) and have decided on a weeks safari in Kenya followed by a week on Mauritius. However - which is better - Le paradise Cove or Maritim Hotel? We've read mixed reviews for both so are now totally confused!!
Hi people,

What is the weather like in Mauritius in early June? And also the beaches? for example there conditions? is there allot of rain in the June Month?
In Nov 06 its our 25th wedding anniversary and we want to go to mauritious but have no idea where on the island to go. We dont like it to quiet but dont want it to lively either. Can anyone suggest where to go please, also what board basis to go on.
We stayed at the Maritim which is Balaclava. It was a lovely hotel but we had a visit to Grand Baie and thought that would be the place to stay if i ever returned. We went on all-inclusive as it wasn't really our choice (part of a wedding party) but if i was staying in Grand Baie i'd go B&B as there were plenty of nice restaurants and bars to visit.
Thanks for the info on Maritim. I think i will search for some info on Grand Baie and see what that brings up. I thought about b&b but heard drinks can be expensive so wasnt sure if we should go allinclusive.We dont drink that much but soft drinks can cost more in some places. It is nice to try different places to eat so i think thats probably what we will do. Thanks again. :)
hi, i went to mauritius on my honeymoon, and stayed at the belle mare plage hotel. we stayed on half board, and can you believe we brought back £1000 in spending money! we were told that it is expensive, but we are not big drinkers and usually have a bottle of wine with our meal and that`s about it. I didnt find it any more expensive than the caribbean. the hotel was fantastic. we also did a catamaran trip to the ille aux cerfs, where we anchored. the beach here is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! a must do if you go to mauritius. we also took a helicopter trip around the island, which was also brilliant. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend mauritius. my sister also went for her honeymoon, and stayed at the maritim. she said that was brilliant also. as we`re both travel agents, you could pretty much take our word for it that they are both good hotels.
Thanks for your message Tricia and congratulations on your wedding. It really helps when other people have been before. Im really looking forward to it. You said you brought back £1000 but that is only good if you DIDNT take thousands in the first place, :lol: :D Its great to know ive got the word of two travel agents who have actually been, thanks. The catamaran and the helicopter trips sound good, after 25 years with my other half i think i deserve only the best: :lol: only joking he aint that bad really. Better put that bit in cos he might read it. :glynis
we are going to the Coin de Mire Hotel next July for 14 nights and don't know whether to stay half board or go all inclusive. Can anyone advise on the cost of drinks and food - particularly in restaurants for lunch?
Thanks
can anyone recommend any courses?
Hi!

I need to book my honeymoon soon. We like the look of mauritius but are a bit concerned that it may not be hot enough, or that the weather will not be good generally. Can anyone advise ??

Coley
Hi Coley

We did a 3 centre last July as our friends were getting married in Mauritius. We visited the Seychelles first which did feel a good bit warmer. It was warm enough for sunbathing during the day in Mauritius but we did get a few cool nights when i needed a jacket or long sleeves.
Hi
Im going to Mauritius in April :) has anyone been to the island? If so do you have any info you'd like to share with me ie: trips/excursions, etc that you may recommend
Have decided to go in October...any advice from anyone who has been before.Got the flights now to decide where to stay.We don't like big hotels and would like to stay as near to the ocean as possible ...Maldives water villa stye would be cool ...any ideas???
Sarah, I don't know what your budget is but the One and Only Le Touessrok is fabulous. Stunning location, great rooms and service and wonderful food. If you take the half-board option it can save you a fortune and the food is really lovely.

lyn14, the Botanical Gardens are worth a visit and it's also well worth doing a shopping trip. Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss clothes are all made in Mauritius so be sure to visit the factory outlets and grab a bargain. You can also buy some lovely cashmere items for really good prices. Also when you leave there is a little flower booth at the airport where you can buy beautiful tropical Mauritian flowers to take home. They pack them in a box for you and you can take them as hand luggage on the plane. They will last for weeks after you get home.
Hi all - we're looking to go to Mauritius in June (hopefully the Paul & Virginie Hotel). What's the deal with the weather at that time of year? I know June-Sep is the winter for the island, but any suggestions/ideas/tips would be gratefully received!
Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.