Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
silverpixie1uk,

You might want to refer to the Easyjet and Hand Luggage threads on the Flights Forum. Given it's medical equipment, it should be fine taking it as hand luggage. Do you have a doctors note or something similar you can take to prove it's needed and are medically fit to fly? It might be asked for. I would double check with the airline that you can take an addition piece of hand luggage. I suspect they might say you must check the other bag in and take the medical equipment as hand lugage. You'll find further details relating to the carrage of medical equipment on Easyjets website (just over half way down the page).

Darren
Thanks Dazbo.

I've been in extended email contact with Easy Jet who state that I can only take one piece of hand luggage 55x40x20cms. My problem is that I can't fit both machines plus my medication and other essentials too valuable to put in the hold into that size hand luggage. The Cpap has to be carried in its own case to protect it which takes up more room. I can't take the chance of putting either machine in my hold luggage because if they went missing I'd be in trouble health-wise, they also wouldn't be insured.

I can get all the medical confirmation needed no problem but that doesn't seem to count for much.

This is the first time I have travelled by air with the Cpap and stupidly thought that the airlines would have more experience with those of us needing this kind of equipment but Easy Jet are not having any of it, they say one bag regardless of medical need and have now stopped corresponding.

I'm really worried that when I try to book in they are going to make me put it in the hold.
I think you would might get a better response if you phone.
It is probably too late to write to the address given on the link below.
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/Specific/index.html
I can't access the numbers as they require a log in.
Good luck
I tried that Fiona, the only available number is 65p a minute, I must have spent a fiver waiting, only to get cut off. :banghead: :banghead:
I did have a long email conversation going on on their site but once they had given me all the stock "this is the way it is" answers they removed it without really answering my question.

I'm beginning to wish I'd booked a dearer flight with someone providing better customer service.
I think I would have to agree re a different airline. I hope you do get it sorted. Hopefully your thread will have at least alerted others who have similar needs.
If you've asked and they say only one lot of hand luggage, you've exhausted your possibilities. I'd agree with Fiona, try another airline in the future. Most of the full fare scheduled airlines will be more accommodating (within reason).

Darren
I believe that under the EU regulations brought in last year they must take your equipment onboard. See the other thread on this forum and also http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/newsandcomment/Pages/disabledtravellersbetterjourney.aspx (note 4 especially). They don't however have to allow them as hand luggage unless you could prove that you may need to use any of the equipment during the flight. What would happen if you fell asleep during the flight.

However, as others have said regulations are not much use if they just flatly refuse at the airport.
Both my children are on ventilators over night and we have have travelled on various airlines and have taken 4 vents with us , monitoring equipment , dry cell battery packs and never had a problem . I always ring the airline before hand and give them the specifications of each piece of equipment . I have also taken an additional piece of hand luggage containing passports and tickets money etc . I always get a letter as well each year off my childrens hospital consultant stating the equipment is vital and as to be carried as hand luggage incase of medical emergency . When we travelled with thomas cook they were excellent taking us on board 1st and making sure the bags were accessible to us on the flight .
I'm pleased to report that I was able to carry my Cpap and nebuliser as extra hand luggage on the flight but they did ask to see a copy of the e-mail I got from their customer service dept.
I suppose the moral of my story is not to accept no as the final answer and push for your rights.

At no time was I asked for a doctors letter though so I'm glad I didn't bother paying the requested £20 to get one after reading the new EEC regulations which states that you should not be expected to provide one unless the airline are offering some kind of seat reduction and f raud is suspected.
Wow perfect! Good for you that you bring along with your cpap and nebuliser so problem solved?
Owenmarget

First of all welcome to HT.
There are lots of topics in discussion on HT at the moment and hopefully you can take part in one of these rather than revive a thread that has been inactive for over 18months.

Judith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.