Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
I would recommend Menorca highly

A really good resort for you to try with kids your age would be Son Bou - in particular the Saint Jaime complex - lots to do but not too commercial

At the complex they have waterslides available (for a charge - 5 euros for 10 slides)

Also a great interactive maze that has a different event every evening that lasts for an hour (7 euros the first time the kids use it and then 3 euros every other time)

There is also a new 10 pin bowling complex just opened in Son Bou.

There is an amusement arcade on the complex and cheap internet access

Plenty of evening entertainment

All the above sounds commercial but somehow the resort gets away with it and you don't feel it is commercial if that makes sense !!

There are two waterparks within 45 minutes drive from Son Bou

There is a lladro shopping complex called Castillo with a large free to enter kids park and a big go kart track next to it again less than 45 minutes away

There is a petting zoo 30 minutes from you - with domestic farm animals

Great glass bottom boat trips in Mahon - 30 minutes away - best to go ther on Market days and spend the morning shopping and the aftrenoon on the boat

Horse and donkey riding available less than 45 minutes away

Horse trotting races at the weekend less than 45 minutes away

Great beaches everywhere

In fact the island is so small nowhere is more than an hour away if you hire a car which I would reommend you do for at least a few days

I have been 3 times in the last two years to Menorca and have already rebooked for next year

I have previously been to Majorca and it is too commercial and rowdy generally- some parts of Menorca are becoming commercial but still nowhere near as rowdy as Majorca

Once you visit Menorca I think you will prefer it

You won't be able to guarantee the weather to be red hot in May or early June although if you fall lucky it might be - worst case is it will still be very pleasant and warm enough to swim etc even if it is cloudy

I think I should get a job with the Menorca Tourist Board after that effort to convince you !!
The average temperature at the end of May/early June is a very pleasant low to mid-20's Celsius. May has the 4th lowest average rainfall of the year with about 5 days having some rain whereas June is the 2nd driest (after July) with about 3 days. At that time of year the daily sunshine hours is high too with both months averaging around 9 or 10.
Thank you both so much for the info, yes Richard i think you should get a job with the Minorcan tourist borad!! That was a really helpful and informative review, thanks so much, you have just about covered all my queries in one and it def sounds the place for us after reading it, thing is we are looking to do a DIY holiday and renting a private apartment (not too expensive though so no villas unfortunately!!) but would we be able to find one on the Jaime complex that you recommend? Or is it usually a package holiday at this complex? Thanks again
Package holiday or direct - lots of the villas are privately owned - a bit of searching on the net should find you some options and you should get a good deal at that time of year

Forgot to metion that my friends who were staying there in August were offered breakfast and evening meal for 15 Euros for adults using the restaurant there

Bearing in mind you could have any starter, main course and desert from the a la carte menu it looked like a great deal to me

Prawn starter was about 9 euros
Fillet steak was about 17 euros
Deserts about 5 euros each

31 euros of food for just 15 and your breakfast on top

I would have been cashing in at that price !

Plus you didn't have to commit to the whole week etc from what I understand
Santo Tomas on the south coast is also a good resort for kids, and for adults not looking for nightlife (which they wont be if the kids are young), although Son Bouis much bigger and has more to offer by the sounds of it.
Santo Tomas has the Victoria Playa Hotel, a large end of resort hotel with lots of kids activities day and nigt, and close to one end of the beach. Son Bou is about a 45-min walk away (past a nudist beach).
There is pony trekking available in Santo Tomas, floodlit tennis/football pitch for older children, and a miniature golf course next to Las Dunas restaurant, which is very family oriented and had daily evening entertainment when we were there just last week.
Also, the Lord Nelson Apartments just over the road from the Victoria Playa are ideal for kids, with similar facilities (though not half as big), and when we stayed there years ago we'd go across to the VP for entertianment some nights. There's a supermarket/shops complex, with Dr and pharmacist here, and an irish pub at the side which shows football matches. There's another supermarket and shops up the other end of the resort (which is only about 500 metres long).
Sato Tomas has a lovely, gently-shelving beach and the water is great for snorkelling, although it can get a bit windy some days (makes for fantastic waves to play in!), and it also cools down the heat a bit, which is nice.
Several restaurants dotted along the resort, including Es Bruc at the entrance to the resort, on San Adeadato Beach (a continuation of Santo Tomas beach after the Sol Menorca hotel headland).
Perhaps a bit too quiet for teenagers, but ideal for little ones and parents wanting a relaxing time.
may has the 4th lowest avarage rainfall of the year with about 5 days

well we must of got the whole months worth in 1 week or nearly as it rained for 3days in our week :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard..u talk alot about driving but is it still good if you dont want to drive...nicole
I have been to menorca about twenty times in the last twenty five years and always stay in S'algar as it is an ideal base ,but you really do need a car here.where are you staying?T he best part of having a car is that you can see what lovely places Menorca has to offer just incase you aren'nt suited with the place you chose,but it isn't a definate must that you hire a car.
Not booked anywhere yet but did stay in cuidadella lasy year...just dont want the hassle of driving..plus its hard to get the kids away from the new friends they always make...nicole
We are going to the Vista Blanes apartments in cala blanes on the 7th Oct :D , hopefully the weather is ok cos we have got kids aged 7 & 2 so they will want to be out all the time! :sun :shrug :hyper :glynis
Nicole

If you want the best resort in Menorca for a family who does not want to drive then i would have to recommend the Saint Jaime complex in Son Bou

Loads of things to do for kids including the maze (which has differnt competitions every night that the kids will love), water slides, ten pin bowling and lots more

Daily and nightly entertainment

It is a great place for families
Hi Everyone.

I would say that "alexfan" has definitely chosen the best place to stay with children. Weather you are hiring a car or not, in my opinion the Ciutadella area is by far the best (Calan Blanes and Calan Bosch).

If you are staying in the resorts of Calan Blanes or Calan Bosch there isn't a need to hire a car. We always do because that's our choice, as we like to get out and about and see the rest of the island.

I don't think that there is a part of Menorca that we haven't stayed in, but we have now decided to stick Calan Blanes as our main base. If you stay somewhere like S'Algar or Son Bou or Santo Tomas, you really DO need to hire a car. The resorts themselves are nice, but small and that's all there is !!!

Most of the entertainment and activities that "Richard Hill" wrote about (another vote here for him joining the tourist board - excellent work!!) are located around the Ciutadella area. So even if you do or don't hire a car it doesn't mean that you spend ages on the bus or car getting to these places as they are all just around the corner. A lot of the places are even within walking distance from Calan Blanes !!
Hi, thought I would share my thoughts with you on a suitable resort for you and your family. I am just back from a week in Cala n' Bosch, Casas Del Lago Apartments, they are in a fantastic location for a family holiday overlooking the Marina. Within walking distance you have the lovely sandy beach, bars, restuarants, shops, we never used a taxi once and there is a bus stop right outside the apartments to take you to the beautiful town on Cuitadela which is a must to visit. Although the resort was quiet because it was mid October I could imagine it would be buzzing in the summer season not sure about May though, lots to keep the children amused while you can sit and have a drink and keep an eye on them.
Hi caitkirs where were you staying we were at casa de lago from 15th to the 23rd..
I would definately recommend Cala N Bosch and the Casas Del Lago Apts. We visited in September of this year and they were brilliant. Lived up to every expectation. They were very clean and well looked after.

I do think that Cala N Bosch might however be a little too quiet for the children especially the older one. Although there is a water park close by, a small amusement arcade and the Goody Goody amusement park, I would think that it might be a little too boring. Son Bou might be the better option for older children.

Cala N Bosch is in my opinion though, a little gem of a resort with plenty of restaurants, a few bars and the best beach (both of them!). I will definately be returning as soon as I can :)
Hi, we were in Casas Del Lago same week! I wonder if we were neighbours! It was myself and hubby, two girls (aged 3 and 8), did you enjoy it!
Hi...really enjoyes the hotel and resort...we knocked it off with the weather that week,we had been to cala bosch before but over the road at the cala bosch hotel......we must have seen each other.....I was there with my wife and 2 kids girl and boy 15 and 12 .....you must have seen us ...I am what you call ...mmmmm.......larger figured.... :lol: we were in room 30 just round to the left as you came thru reception
We came from Uddingston....sunday to sunday
Yes I think we were unbelievably lucky with the weather, seems most parts of europe were not so lucky!! I spoke to your wife a few times I think, blonde/reddy haired lady, and your kids had lots of fun in the pool throwing each other in, am I right? You were sitting with the couple that had the blonde haired young lad if I'm right in the bar one night (X-Factor night I think). My two kids played about at the stage area during the day with a few other kids (very noisy), husband read all day and I lay and watched (Oh to be doing that again!!) will hopefully be having another week in Cala n' Bosch next year!!
That was us....we had a great time......but its back to Greece(Corfu)...next summer...loads cheaper....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.