Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Hi Tony
Try the beautiful old capital of Ciutadella.Lots of interesting streets to wander round,no drunken yobs and plenty of good restaurants and bars.There is also an excellent local bus service if you want to visit the west coast resorts.Cannot recommend any hotels but we have stayed twice at the apartments Sa Calma,perfectly located at the entrance to the port,with great views towards Majorca.These are private apartments and one is available through http://www.travelmenorca.co.uk.
Hi Tony

I agree with Jeffers, Ciutadella sounds perfect for you.

I cannot think of any resort on Menorca which has a promenade similar to Cala Millor/Cala Bona in Majorca and the resorts in Menorca are not really big enough for you to explore in a similar manner.

But Ciutadella sounds an excellent idea.

Personally, I prefer Menorca to Majorca so would encourage you to try Menorca for a change, you may prefer it.

Regards

Dave.
many thanks for responses, we will have a look and discuss!!!!!!!!! We also thought about Malta? so many places not enough time!!!

Tony
tonyp wrote:
many thanks for responses, we will have a look and discuss!!!!!!!!! We also thought about Malta? so many places not enough time!!!

Tony

I have been to both, Malta one year and Minorca the following year. They are very different. Minorca is quiet and quite laid back, scenic and has sandy coves.

Malta is busy and buzzing especially in Valetta, St Julians, St Pauls etc with interesting architecture, also apart from a few beaches dotted about most of the bathing is from rocky lidos straight into the sea, although of course many hotels have good pools to compensate.

Personally I am very glad to have visited both. :)
Hi Tony have you looked at Cala Galanda. We stayed at Punta prima afew years ago, we hired a car and visited a few different resorts. All the places we visited we very pretty but Cala Galanda seemed one of the nicest, a small resort with some lovely places to walk. Not stayed here but I am sure others who have will give you some feed back. We love all the Balearics and have visited them all several times, have you thought of Santa Eulalia in Ibiza, it sound very similar to Cala Bona, it has a long promanade a great town and very suited to couples. If I can help with anything else just let me know.
Christine
Many Thanks all, and Christine, funnily enough we almost went to Santa Eulalia a year or two ago so maybe will look again. We had almost decided on going back to Cala Bona and staying at our favourite hotel the Alicia however there has been some rotten reviews onn this lately which is a bit of a shock so we have also considered the hotel talayot nearby as had a lovely stay there in 2007. Should be glad we are lucky to still be considering any holiday at the moment the way things are?
Tony
My Dad went to Taylayot last October, he`s a fussy eater and he said the food was fantastic, he normally does a cruise and stay. This year he did a stay and cruise as the hotels don`t normaly seem as good after the cruise but this year he said the hotel and food were better than the cruise.

If you look at Santa Eulalia have a look at the Ses Estaques, I` ve not stayed there but years ago when I worked in travel it was highly recomended for couples, I used to book clients there and they had to book as soon as it went on sale due to it being popular. Panorama in Es Cana is another popular one for couples.

My friend went to Cala Galanda 2 years ago she stayed in the hotel Cala Galanda, she said it was a lovely resort and good hotel. We stayed in the sister hotel (Sur Menora) I thought the standards were high and the food very good.

Where every you go I am sure you will enjoy
There are so many nice places to visit in the Balearics. I stayed in Cala Bona last October and it is a pleasant enough resort but there are others like Puerto Pollensa in the North and Puerto Andraitx in the South West that might suit just as much. As for Menorca, Cala Galdana is by some way, the most scenic resort, though Mahon with it's huge natural harbour and Ciutadella with it's interesting old town would make good bases too.

P.S. There are lots of photographs of the islands in the HT photo galleries that might help you make a decision.
I know this is a late response to your question - all I can advise you is that Cala Galdana Minorca is the nearest you will ever get to Heaven on Earth!

It's a glorious location - unfortunately we have travelled to other Countries over the past few years for a change (Gran Canaria, Cyprus, Lanzarote) but nowhere seems as gorgeous or chilled as Minorca.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.