General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I just make sure we always get to the airport in plenty of time even if it means hanging round for longer at the airport, and lucky for me I only live a few miles from the airport so I shouldn't be late anyways :)
Its the easy jet programme where people turn up with 2 mins before check in closes or 2 mins after, They should be there 2 hours before the check in closes. Why don't easy jet say the check in will close 30 mins earlier than it does, then the late ones would have plenty of time and they will all be praising esay jet, or is easy jet after the £35 transfer fee to another flight. In the old programmes they never used to charge anything for a transfer, obvoiusly saw it as a nice little earner.
I am the same 10 min drive to glasgow airport, and always leave in plenty of time, even when I go by taxi, I ask the driver if there are any road works going on, and can we avoid them

so for a 11am uk flight, I am at the airport for 7am, so of my family think I am daft in going that early, it knowing you have arrived and not missed you flight, and able to relax,until you check in
I am the same 10 min drive to glasgow airport, and always leave in plenty of time

:tup the exact same, always in Glasgow 3-4 hours before departure, that way we are checked in and sitting hassle & stress free in departures.
I'm the same - like to be at the airport in plenty of time. Lateness is a pet hate of mine in all aspects of life, but I get really stressed out about it when it comes to travel. In April, daughter and I had to catch a flight from Edinburgh to London so she could attend a visa appointment at the US Embassy - left the house with what I thought was ample time for the journey to the airport (usually arouond 20 to 30 minutes for us). However, there had been a major accident on the bypass and traffic was at a standstill - I was stuck, with nowhere to go but wait it out. How stressed was I when we finally got to the airport with around five minutes to spare?? Luckily we'd checked in online - don't think my nerves have recovered even now.
Kiltman-Graham wrote:
I am the same 10 min drive to glasgow airport, and always leave in plenty of time

:tup the exact same, always in Glasgow 3-4 hours before departure, that way we are checked in and sitting hassle & stress free in departures.

Having arrived 4 hours before my flight, 2007, my 10am flybe flight to manchester, was cancelled due to problems with an airplane in manchester

Was told next flight 12pm, which would not suit me, but there was an 8.30 flight, which at first they refuse to put me on, I explaned 12pm flight is just not good for me, as I have a connecting flight, 2.30pm from man-rimini, after some words, I got to speak to one of the manager, and I told them if I miss my flight, I would expect them to pay me for my lost holiday, not long after this I was put on to the 8.30 flight
my flight is 2 weeks on sunday manchester-malaga with bmi, at 8.20am we will be there just after 4am, like to get there early so when check in opens we can get in queue 1st so that we can get our seats together.. and chill out in bar with a glass of vino...I live only 20 mins away from manchester airport anyway..so not too bad...I cannot beleive people leave it last minute...I cannot wait to get in the taxi its start of my holidays, and I wont sleep that saturday night anyway.. :cheers :sun2
Couple of years ago I forgot my false teeth (Don't Ask) so went back for them. Unfortunately whilst this should not have been a problem we then got caught up in a jam. We actually arrived at the desk as they were about to close it. Big sigh of relief.

A few months later we set off again and in view of the last experience we set off an hour early - yes we met another traffic jam but at least well before the desk was due to close. But then it would not have mattered if we had been later as all the conveyors had broken down so nothing was moving.We actually got booked in after the flight was supposed to have taken off.

fwh
fwh wrote:
Couple of years ago I forgot my false teeth

Same here, last year i forgot my bottom set, still have 3 middle teeth, so just left my false teeth at home
Now I woke up in the morning with morning glory,

3 teeth & a tent pole - you must be a sight for sore eyes Joseptuk :rofl :rofl
We always arrive at the airport just before check-in opens. Sometimes 4 hours before our flight. OUr last trip though could have ended up in us missing our flight as bil had left his flight bag (with passports and tickets) at home. Bearing in mind we live 1 hr 15 mins (with no traffic) away from the airport it was a good job we arrived at check-in before it opened and realised straight away. Hubby and bil managed to drive half way home where they were met by niece with the documents. They arrived back with time for a nerve calming drink at the bar ;)
Hi all
I always like to be there for about three hours before. Rather be too early than late. You can check in and take your time and relax then. Easyjet are a bit different not so long check in time but still get there well in advance and get at the end of the queue so by the time you get to the desk, its check in open time. It does get me when you see those people going mad when they miss their check in, and blame everybody else but themselves.

Dawnie-Rob
We've always been at the airport in ample time. This time though could have been a totally different matter. We were staying in the marriott Bristol the night before, so as you do we went out for a couple of bevvies. Well one went to two e.t.c. When we were still out hubby said better put the alarm to go on your phone now. I set it for 3.30am as the taxi was picking us up at 4.30am. We got back to the hotel at god knows what time, and went to bed. Next thing I woke with a start, looked at my clock and it said 4.27am :yikes :yikes . We'd slept through the alarm. Hubby still drunk run down to the taxi and told him to wait. We had to leave without a wash and were still quite drunk :yikes . How we caught that flight I have no idea :rofl
fwh wrote:
Couple of years ago I forgot my false teeth (Don't Ask) so went back for them. Unfortunately whilst this should not have been a problem we then got caught up in a jam. We actually arrived at the desk as they were about to close it. Big sigh of relief.

A few months later we set off again and in view of the last experience we set off an hour early - yes we met another traffic jam but at least well before the desk was due to close. But then it would not have mattered if we had been later as all the conveyors had broken down so nothing was moving.We actually got booked in after the flight was supposed to have taken off.

fwh

LOL that would have made brilliant TV for one of the Easyjets programmes Frank. I am just trying to visualise you explaining it to Leo when they call him over to the check in desk.
I am an early bird too, tend to get there three hours before flight takes off. I love airports anyway and people watching, especially look out for those with no teeth :rofl
Hi there
Or listen out for the sound of slapping gums :rofl

Dawnie-Rob
I'm the same, I like to get there before check-in opens, and luckily for me the boyfriend is the same (we've not been on holiday together yet and he's late for everything lol, so i had visions of us falling out next year over what time we were going to the airport!) We're flying from Newcastle next year which is 3 1/2 hours away from us, our flight leaves at 8am, we'll be at the airport for 4.30am which means we'll be leaving home at 1am(ish)...I'll be snoozing all the way to the Costa Del Sol lol
it might be an idea to take with you a print of the airline's rules on check-in times.

The last time I flew back from Cologne/Bonn (joint airport) the airport bus from Bonn got delayed in traffic on the motorway and I arrived at a deserted checkin 20 minutes before easyjet said it would close. Their local agent was chatting to the person at a Lufthansa desk. She claimed I was too late but when presented with the printed evidence eventualy opened up again, just in time for next bus!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.