Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
mistake
18 Posts
Smoking on the beach (or in public areas) is apparently illegal BUT no-one takes any notice whatsoever in resort areas, don't worry about it in the slightest.
Smoking in bars and restaurants etc, IS illegal BUT very few take any notice of it whatsoever, don't worry about it in the slightest.
Smoking in public areas in Panjim etc Is illegal and seems to be enforced slightly, as I understand it a fine of 100 rps applies. Never heard of anyone being fined though.
I have walked around Panjim smoking with no problem but was asked not to smoke whilst in the crowd watching the carnival, (by a member of the public not a policeman).
.A couple of open air restaurants have places around corners etc where you can smoke "at your own risk".

I do find the ban on smoking in the open air laughable in Panjim when you can hardly breathe for the traffic fumes!

Drinking on the beach
This is something new that has been proposed to try to curtail glass/litter on the beaches etc.
I really doubt that it will have ay effect on drinking at shacks or on the sunbeds with the shacks.
Even if drinking on the sunbed is banned you will still be able to drink in the shacks,again don't worry.

The sun bed rule.., concerns the number of sunbeds that are allowed at any shack.
Invariably each season the authorities crack down and limit the number allowed, invariably each season the number creeps back up tp where it was before. It's just a kind of game they like to play.
All part of the fun :rofl

Go without any worries and enjoy.
Edited to add. Just re read your post and you are in the south, I would imagine that the rules and enforcements are the same there as in the North
Thanks for the reply, Smoking in restaurants and bars doesn't bother us as its the same here in UK. I just couldn't get my head around not being able to smoke on the beach, or in other open air places.
If the shacks are only permitted a certain number of sun loungers are you able to lie on the beach it's self?

Did you have any injections before you went? and what about malaria tablets. I will take them but don't think hubby is going to bother, not sure he is right in not having anything.

Thanks again, you have put my mind at rest a little.
:tup
We were in Goa last month where you could pick from about 20 sunbeds per shack, sit down and smoke and drink :D But it's Goa so god knows what will happen next season. :rofl
yes you can lie on the beach if you like.
as far as restaurnats etc it is not like England, they will all have no smoking signs but rarely enforce them.
Out of some respect for other diners we try and sit near the outside wlls so any smoke is blown into the street.
I really doubt that you will have any probs re smoking unless you go to Panjim or similar.
We had all the recommended injections and keep them up to date.
As far as malaria tabs we used to buy in Boots etc but for last few years have simply bought the once a week ones in Goa and (sometimes remember !) take them there, bringing a few back to start the next years treatment.
If hubby tends to get a lot of mossie bites I would encourage him to take them but if he is one of the lucky unattractive ones he could be fine without them.
I didn't notice the query about tablets. Please make sure he takes them. It really isn't worth the risk.
Del.. totaly wrong advice re the Maleria tablets as the one a week are not effective without the daily one's (can't remember the name) you may as not take any if that is all you take.

John
We had to take a daily one and then another once weekly one. We also had to start taking them a week before going and continue for 2 weeks after coming home. No side effects whatsoever.
Once a week tabs (chloroquine phosphate)

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/chloroquine

There are conflicting advices given for the prevention of malaria.
The system of weekly/daily treatments seem to be, on the whole, advised by the companies selling them.
Having tried them previousley both my wife and I suffered uncomfortable side effects, mouth ulcers, stomach upsets and in my case nightmares.
Whilst I accept that more modern drugs and a combination of two or more drugs will be more effective, I am not convinced by my own "googling" that the weekly ones are non effective, merely less effective.

Referencing "fake drugs" in India, I agree wholeheartedly that buying certain drugs there is risky but think that this particular drug would be as viable for forgers as currency forgers counterfeiting pennies, simply not worth the effort.

On my last visit I was taken ill and required several different tablets which I had to buy there, in fact one was so unusual the pharmacist had to send away for it as he didn't keep it in stock. Under such circumstances there is no choice but to buy the local offerings, fake or not!
Malaria is a killer and even if you survive the initial acute attacks it is a disease that ou then have to live with for the rest of your life. The symptoms are far more unpleasant than the common side effects of taking the prophylactic drugs for it:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/travelhealth/pages/malariacasestudy.aspx

For effective protection in India you need to take Proguanil as well as chloroquine:

http://www.nathnac.org/ds/c_pages/country_page_in_an.htm

tshaddy, your husband needs to take notice and not play Russian Roulette with his health. You should also check with your local health centre re any other vaccinations etc that you need. They are the only people who can give you the best advice for the two of you because they can advise you in the light of your personal medical history.

You'll find much more discussion and info on this thread here:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/malaria-mosquitoes-travel-vaccinations-and-t108999-760.html

SM
You should have no problems smoking unless you light up in the airport or any other heavily policed area

All the bars and restaurants have big No Smoking signs but most have ash trays on the tables or will get you one however a few fine dining places will not allow smoking at the table

The number of sunbeds at a shack should not be a problem in south Goa unless you pick the most popular place on the beach at peak time

The ban on taking alcohol on the beach is for the off season and is intended to stop domestic tourist dumping their empty bottles on the beach also to help stop a few from getting drunk and drowning, a multi time a day event before the life guards

Ask your doctor about injections, you need to keep them up to date even if you never left the UK and it is silly not to take the malaria tablets if they don't upset you however some people can't take the daily one and only take the weekly one that costs only 2 rupees over here but that's their choice and risk or you can buy the more expense course in the UK that you can't buy here

The only mistake you have made is in having second thoughts about Goa, it's a great place, hope you love it as much as most of us on the forum

Please come back with any other queries that may crop up, we are a very friendly lot with lots of knowledge about Goa
You should have no problems smoking unless you light up in the airport

There are smoking areas in the airport during departure, both before and after security..(not sure about when the new airport is open)
Just remember that you are not allowed to take any lighters through security.
If you have a lighter that is expensive or sentimental etc put it in the hold luggage as any lighter WILL be confiscated.
Also remember that you are not allowed to bring Rupees out of the country, so if you want to bring some for your next visit keep them tucked away.
wow, thanks for that, didnt no about not bringing any Rupees out of the country.
Hubby has said he is going to take the Malaria tablets.
I do now feel better about going. Thank you all for your comments. If I have any further questions I will not hesitate to come on here. I think that might happen when it comes to applying for the visas. seems a little complicated. :que
visas sound worse than they actually are, unless they are changed again!!
del949 wrote:
You should have no problems smoking unless you light up in the airport

There are smoking areas in the airport during departure, both before and after security..(not sure about when the new airport is open)
Just remember that you are not allowed to take any lighters through security.
If you have a lighter that is expensive or sentimental etc put it in the hold luggage as any lighter WILL be confiscated.
Also remember that you are not allowed to bring Rupees out of the country, so if you want to bring some for your next visit keep them tucked away.

Once you get through security, after having your lighter confiscated, head for the nearest ladies or gents toilet and you will be able to buy a similar one from the toilet attendant, they usually charge £1 sterling, the smoking rooms last time I was there had really plush white leather couches, God knows what colour they are now though, thankfully I no longer smoke, I now vape which is cheaper and easier. ha ha ha
I now vape which is cheaper and easier. ha ha ha

Have you had any experience of vaping in the airport, or on aircraft etc?
I have been told that Ryanair actually sell e-cigs on board but do have a friend who got a stern warning on a Thomson flight for vaping.
I've used an Electric Cig at Newcastle and Heathrow airports no problems. I've not used on a plane though I think most airlines have banned them. Have been tempted to try a sneaky though
I have used them on Air India, and Jet Airways, I think it all depends on what the rule of the day is. I have walked around the airports with them. My e-cig doesn't resemble a cigarette, it looks more like a pen.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.