Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi,
I'm currently in Goa and bought an Airtel simcard, although I can send texts to the UK fine I can't seem to receive any. If anyone knows why or can let me know which Indian mobile providers they have been able to receive texts from the UK (especially from O2) I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
Kookie
Hi Kookie

Just a quick one for you, whoever is sending the txts to your indian number will be paying around 25-50p a txt much the same if you were texting back home from your uk mobile phone. So it can get very expensive.

What i normally do is either leave the phones at home or take both my UK phone and my indian phone. UK phone to recieve txts on and the indian phone to send the txts. That way everyone is just paying the local normal rates.

I know its a pain carrying 2 phones but after some mega bills its the cheapest way of doing it.

Fairly sure that O2 have problems getting txts to and from goa in general anyway , as a mate has O2 and he can get txts in goa but cant reply to them and even the ones he gets arrive days after they have been sent.

Regards

Peter
Ive just got a new airtel sim card last week because idea network was down. Im having no problems with airtel if you go in to message settings and make sure you have the correct number to receive the messages which is +919890051914
Could anyone tell me the approximate cost of unblocking a mobile phone in Goa so that it may be used with an Indian sim card?

What make and model of mobile phone do you need unlocked?
Thanks for the replies,
I have the right message centre number just never been able to receive anything other than local texts. Looks like I'll just have to stick with changing sims to receive texts.
Wanting to phone Goa? I've found a great site that lists all the best prices...

You can either look here (half way down under phones....

http://www.childrenwalkingtall.com/Goa.htm

or try here

http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com/Peak/phone-rates/India.shtml
I use Bestminutes, calling from UK BT landline to Indian mobile - 5p per minute (including VAT) - fantastic!

Deb
Sype...all the way...

CDheap as chips
I'm sure this has been covered in the past but I've always been more than happy to leave my mobile in Blighty when I go to Goa so I haven't really taken much notice.

This November there will be 5 couples staying in various locations at the same time and I've been wondering how we can communicate to arrange meet ups and things.

Is it best to buyIndian SIM cards over there or what? Any suggestions and indications of price?
brought back to the top for Roma
Look above in the mobile phone sticky. Local cards are cheap, I use them whe in Goa. A txt home is about 5rs and a call is about 35rs/min.
hi goancrazy i see your reply there and i have heard about this. do you need any i.d. to be able to buy the sim cards? i hear that you need 2 photographs also
I had my spare phone unlocked sim card with 200 minutes, battery charged 8 photographs, two needed, up and running in about an hour all for less than £10, the young girl even filled the forms in for me because I had the wrong glasses on

Lez

PS photos taken in the phone shop
If you take a copy of the photo page from your passport to the Elephant shop they will sort it out for you. We normally put 1300 rupees on and that lasts for a couple of weeks, with lots of calls home.
forgot to mention ONLY phone land lines the cost to other mobiles is quite high for recieving calls in the UK

lez :oops:
Hi, i never take my mobile phone with me, but when i went this April i thought id take it, but i didn't get it unlocked so it didn't work.

I called into a shop on the calangute-candolim road, heading towards the restaurant fishermans cove from the hotel Tio Carmino, and the man in the shop said i needed to be an indian national to buy a sim card, and there wouldnt be much point in getting another sim card because it takes 3days to set up?

hmm, im not sure. Im going to Goa again next month and im thinking of taking two phones with me, which will both be unlocked, and buy a sim card over there, put it in my old phone so i can text home, and receive texts on my UK sim card.
I found it sooooo much cheaper to call from the internet cafe/money exchange place it cost me under £1.00 to call home for 25 mins. If you need them to call you use the hotel. incoming calls didn't cost at our hotel.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.