Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi all,

I had my O2 mobile phone (Nokia) unlocked whilst in Goa and I purchased a Lifetime Airtel sim card which means it does not need topping up every 12 weeks as the majority of them do. I took a copy of my passport and a photo which is needed in order to get a sim card. It cost about 1000 Rps as the original outlay but it is so cheap to text and call from the mobile whilst there. I leave it switched on in the UK and I still recieve texts so I am confident it will still work when I go back each time. The shop was on the Calangute beach road - a small place on the left as you walk towards the beach.

Hope this helps

Jo
Hi , I have the same system as you (I think?) just one point tho which is worth mentioning, I believe the sim card has to be activated (by making call or sending txt) at least once every six months to keep it on the system otherwise the contract lapses, in order to keep mine activated I leave it with a friend in Goa who sends me a text from my own Indian sim card to my UK card. I'm not sure that the same applies for receiving txt messages to the sim card? but may well do!
brought back for Blondepuff
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker
this site will give you the best prices for phoning to Goa to a mobile from 1p a minute not even off peak!! or anywhere else in the world come to that
chilly
If calling home from a phone booth in Candolim do the booths all charge the same rate. Thinking in particular about the one at the top of the beach rd where Inferno is
I have a pay as you go on Orange network, does it need to be unlocked to work in Goa and if so am i able to get it done there, and how much does it cost. I bought an Airtel sim card last year but couldn't get it to work i know the public phones are cheap to use,but most people want to phone home around the same time and having the mobile means not having to queue up...thanks KJF
I also want to know this as well, as i like to text.
I go to The Elephant Shop in Candolim - they sort it our for me. I text and receive texts - never had any probs
hi yes you do have to get it unlocked before you use a different sim card or it will not work
goalovers
h\d mine unlocked and a sim card weth 200 min for less than a tenner.

you need 2 photoes fill a form in and your passport takes about an hour
I am trying to phone a mobile phone in Goa, do I need to put a code number in before the mobile number, that I am ringing?
You need to put +91, same as land lines.
Ray.
I am being a bit thick here does that mean 091 before the number?
0091, It's only easy if you know how! The 00 is shortened to a + on some phones.
Hope you get through ok :)
Ray.
Thanks for your help
Gayle
Is it possible to phone a Goan mobile phone in Goa using your own phone ?

If so is there a number that need s to dialled first ie 0091 followed by the mobile phone No.
dial 0091 and leave the first 0 off the mobile number. :gluck allan.
why the heck do you need photos when getting a sim card?
This worked a few months ago, but I am not sure that it still works, but it is worth a try.
To an Indian landline dial 08717727070 (then pause) 0091 then the number

To an indian mobile 08713439090 (then pause) then 0091 then the mobile number.

Calls cost around 8 pence per minute.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.