Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Is it a requirement at all the shops in Goa to produce your passport and two photos when buying a sim card or are some a bit more easy going than others? I'm thinking especially in Candolim. :roll:
If you go to the elephant shop next door to the Magnum with your passport they will take your photo and sell you a sim card. They will also unlock your phone if necessary but they are unable to do some newer models. We took an older spare phone with us so that people could text our own phones at standard rate. Hope this helps
Do mobiles work in Goa? Im with 02, ive never been outside Europe with it, so have no idea :?:
Hi Bunny230, I'm with O2 and my phone worked whilst I was there in March, although it took a while. I didn't really use it only for the alarm as pay phones were very cheap!
Do you know if it works to send texts home? Also how much it costs to send texts etc? I know in Europe its 50p a minute. I just want a rough idea as to how much credit to top up before hand :)
I am on O2 also. Mine worked when I have been before, only used it for texts and I am pretty sure it was 50p per text.
Yes I did send a couple of texts, not sure how much it costed me, but 50p sounds about right.
Just as easy to get a sim card out there and phone unlocked (if not Tri Band) and texts were about 5 rupees, theres nothing better than texting your mates back home in freezing miserable England in Feb, from the comfort of your sunbed on the beach (and you moaning about how hot it is) just to rub it in....Keith
As Lozza says, much better to use the payphones they are just incredibly cheap!
The mobile charges are'nt that much dearer (using Indian sim) and I tend to find it more convenient, also because of the time difference (5 1/2 hrs) most people tend to want to use the payphones at the same time (usually btwn 11 & 12pm) and theres normally a queue for them and if your phoning home in the afternoon you are usually on the beach. A good tip regarding the time difference is to look at your watch upside down (not digital watches) and that gives you the time in the U.K.....KEITH
There's a thread on here somewhere about mobiles - I'd look it up. I bought an Indian SIM and used it to make calls and texts and £10 went a long, long way.

As KJF says, it's lovely to phone your mates from the comfort of a sunbed with a Kingfisher in hand! Doesn't half wind them up!!
I would love do to that!! Phone home with the waves crashing in the back ground however, I wouldn't take my mobile to the beach as it's one more thing I'd have to worry about getting stolen!! I try to carry as little valuble things with me as possible.
I'm also on 02 and texting was no problem - cost 49p per text. Never used the mobile for calling but did receive a call from a friend in Goa at the same time and my credit went right down which surprised me seeing as we were both in Goa. We called home several times from a public phone booth and it was incredibly cheap. Most have a time counter on them telling you how long you've been on and how much it's costing you which was very handy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.