Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi

8) Going Panjim on 14th March and Virgin have informed me that they have no mobile coverage in Goa.

Can anyone tell me which networks do and whether they are reliable. :?:

Will need to call home every couple of days and so want to get a pay as you go phone to use whilst over there.

Many thanks
Hi Potter,

This topic is a very popular one and there is a thread already so I have put the link for you below:-

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=49599&highlight=sim+cards

Voda & O2 do work though

Mids
thanks Mids for providing the link.
get an Indian sim and save yourself loads if you are phoning home that often.....Orange also work but don't get stung by the costs.

Sonofscouse
Vodafone has always worked for me. I only sent text messages though.
Note 3G phones do not work.

If you buy an Indian SIM card you should buy an International card as calls cost 7rs per minute (15rs on ordinary Indian SIM card).

Coverage is good in the resorts but in remote areas (Mandorem) you get no signal.

Steve
I was reading this thread and something came to my mind. How is security in Goa, will I take many chances being seen with an expensive mobile? Basically, is it safe to walk on the streets?
I have a new 3111 Nokia, unlocked, and it's still quite expensive in Portugal. I guess it would be a treat for someone greedy in Goa :p
My 3 phone worked just fine. It was with 3 though rather than 3g with say vodaphone
Fritz,
Did you use your 3 phone through there own international roaming service or was it unlocked and used with an Indian 2G sim card?
Hi

I took my 3 phone out there last year and the 3 sim did not get a signal at all never tried it with an indian sim card though.
Virgin works fine but expensive :cry: . Get your phone unlocked and use Indian sim much cheaper :wink: .
How about unlocking a UK 3G phone and then using an Indian sim card? Anyone know if this will work or would I be better off forking out for Indian pay as you go, or just sticking to payphones??
Yes, it works but it is more expensive than a standard phone. I think I paid about £ 20 when I had my NEC unlocked back in March 05. I'm pretty sure tey can do LG's too.
hi , this topic has possibly been covered but i am still not clear...
i am planningto take my mobile phone from engald to use in Goa, but am not sure if it is "locked|" to a specific network (eg vodafone)...if it is, how do i unlock it such that i can buy a sim card in goa and use it?
how easy is it to buy a sim card in goa, at what price and from where?!...do i need photo id?, and would somebody in Goa be able to "unlock " my phone so that i could use their sim card in it?!!
any advice appreciated, thanks in advance
Go tto your local mobile phone shop and ask them to check if your phone is locked, or you could ask one of your friends who is on a different network to try their sim card in yopur phone. If it is locked, then go back to said mobile phone shop and ask them to unlock it for you. It should cost about a tenner at most
Hi, it's easy enough to get phone unlocked here, costs around a tenner, takes 2 seconds
you now need 2 lots of id to get sim in goa, passport & photo driving licence
make sure your phone supports roaming
hth
Could anyone tell me the approximate cost of unblocking a mobile phone in Goa so that it may be used with an Indian sim card?
It cost me 700rps 500for phone card and 200 for the unblocking at the Elephant shop at candolin
sharon
Thanks for that. Do you happen to know how much mobile to mobile calls cost?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.