General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Oh yeah!!!
See my recent post - we got caught out when my hubby went to France, tohught we were being clever me ringing him. £150 later....... :(

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7706

Dawn

(Edit to insert link ..... David)
yeah, got caught out to a few years back when I used my mobile abroad for the first time :( Now I tend to just use the mobile for texting - which as far as I know is the same cost as at home? Am sure it used to be more expensive - does anyone know if this is right? Last trip abroad i bought a phone card for calling home so I didn't need the mobile.
Hi Nic, texting abroad is more expensive than home but the charges vary depending who you're with. :D

Shell
I'm on an Orange pay-as-you-go tariff and texting to European countries costs 20p per text while texting from them costs double that at 40p. Calls from the UK to Western European countries is a reasonable 25p per minute but calls from these countries to the UK costs a whopping £1.20 per minute! Also, just to receive a call abroad costs 60p per minute so it certainly isn't cheap to use abroad even when it's not me making the call. After learning the hard way, I now always turn off voicemail as well because that costs £1.20 a minute too.
Receiving a call from home can be very expensive, I always set my phone to divert all incoming calls to voicemail. It's cheaper to pick up the voice message and call the person back than to answer their call in the first place; it's cheaper still to call them back using a payphone in resort, although if you're determined to make it a very quick call, you might prefer to use your mobile - beware though - call costs add up very quickly - if you're the type of person who gets carried away chatting then consider using a payphone instead - most hotels have them in the foyer, and there are always plenty along the streets. We just came back from Lloret where there was a place where you could make your call indoors, chat for as long as you needed without having to rummage around for loose change, and then pay the lady at the desk when you've finished.
I rang Orange before i went to Paris to ask how much text messages were - on contract its 28p per text, ive got 2 phones on my contract and they offered me £5 free calls on each phone - which i felt was very nice :D So did use the phone to ring home, its not very often you get a nice offer like that!

Still managed to spend £35 on about 4 calls home when i was on a cruise in July - you do need to be so careful!

Alison :D
Does anyone know how much it costs to send a text abroad from a Vodaphone cotract phone? Don't get an itemised bill, so not sure, but would be good to know...

Nicola
Hi Nicola

If you check the Vodaphone website you should find the info there. The cost can vary depending which country you are texting to/from.

luci :wave
Looks like it costs 24p to send a text message from the UK abroad with Vodafone, double the normal price of 12p. To find out how much calls and text messages cost from abroad to the UK, use the free text info 4636 service described at the link below.

Link Here

HTH

*edit to shorten link which was stretching the page - Glynis*
i know with mine, i have both a t mobile contract phone and a pay as you go, it costs me 40p per text regardless of where i am, and i found that when i was in kenya it was actually cheaper to use the mobile at £1.20 per minute than it was to use payphones or the hotels phones. It all depends on where youre going really, and please remember to switch your voicemail OFF as it costs everytime someone leaves a message, and generally with mothers they tend to waffle on a bit using your credit up!

I generally tend to pay 2.80 for the roaming option with t mobile which is about 2.80 for the month, and you make that saving right back as the costs of dialling and recieving a call a reduced, then top up with my debit card while im abroad as and when needed!

hope this helps someone!!!!
Hi - wonder if anyone can help me. i have a mobile phone with tesco network which i dont use very often - can anyone tell me if this can be used in cyprus to phone home???? and if so how do i go about doing it.

sorry to sound so naive but i dont use the phone at the best of times - just want to send some texts to let grandparents know that their little ones have arrived okay.

any help appreciated.
I would suggest ringing your customer service department to make sure you have this service enabled. I am with Orange and I had to contact my phone company for them to activate this service. Becareful as its quite expensive and when sending texts you don't realise how quickly the amount adds up.

Sarah
many thanks sarah for your help - i am just about to phone tesco mobile and wil let you know how i get on.

once again thanks!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.