General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
sounds good on paper doesnt it ,looking at their site now

the only thing i will say is your phone will need to be unlocked to accept the sim
I wouldn't bother with your mobile. There's plenty of phones and the phone cards are really cheap.
i only use my mobile abroad incase of emergencies , always find plenty of phone boxes and much cheaper
Hi,

I haven't heard of this particular company but I know that you can buy a similar sim from Carphone Warehouse for around the same price, and at least you've heard of the company that way so maybe they will be more reliable?
just buy a sim wherever you go, it's cheap and cheerful.

I do this and save myself a packet, most of the msgs you'll receive from friends and family will be text msgs in any case. There are so many different sites with cheap access codes for friends and family to call you on a foreign mobile like best minutes.

Don't bother using your home mobile out there unless you're using it for business.

Save yourselves a packet people :)
So roundasapound do you mean by a sim abroad and put it in our UK mobile? Will it work like that? :? What about all phone no's, info etc stored on UK phone as I won't have them with new sim? Sorry I'm not too technical minded, just wondered how complicated it would be to do this? Thanks :)
Always copy the phone directory to both sim & Phone !!
As others state make sure the phone is not sim locked to your supplier !!
Try putting a friends sim in your phone from another provider & see if it works to prove it.
Hi Dorra

Yes, I buy a foreign SIM for that country abroad, put it in my UK phone and make calls.

It's pretty much as Lloydies says really:

1) get your mobile phone unlocked, I did mine in Tunisia for 8 dinar, but you can get unlocking codes on google for a few pounds, shops here in UK will do it for you too, that way it's free to use on any network.

2)Buy yourself a foreign SIM card, top it up with credit and you're ready to go. Some countries (e.g. Tunisia) require you to take your passport when purchasing a SIM.

I don't store the phone directory on my SIM, only phone, so when you swap SIMS it doesn't matter, but that's a good idea what Lloydie says, just I can't be bothered..lol

You will save yourself so much money.
Thanks very much for that info, I will certainly give it a go as my phone is already unlocked so shud be no probs there, we are going to Spain so I should imagine it will be easy enough, do I buy the sim card in a proper mobile shop as these will prob only be in the main towns, cheers :) I was going to pay 02 the one off £5 for one month to use my phone abroad at a cost of 25p per minute with no charge for receiving incoming calls but this is only to other 02 mobiles or landlines in Uk, do you think it is still worth buying a foreign sim?
Hi

Just get the foreign SIM, as when you pay o2 the £5, you are still going to pay more to make and receive calls, so you still don't have an idea of how much this is going to cost you. At least with the foreign SIM you know when the credit runs out you just top up, no shock horrors when you get back.

I'm not sure what would be best, you may be able to buy a PAYG SIM in a corner shop like you can here, in which case it'll be the same process as here.

Probably the best bet would be to go into a mobile phone shop that sells SIMS for different network providers, that way you can judge for yourself which network is the best value for money.
If you have a lot of important numbers on your SIM it may be worth picking up a SIM saver (£5 from Vodaphone but you can get others). All you then do is stick your original card in and save the numbers, then put your new SIM into it and it will transfer the numbers on to that. I always use one anyway in case I lose my phone (or put it through the washing machine as I did once) :roll: All my family have my Tunisian mobile number but I take my T Mobile as well and check it occasionally in case there are any urgent messages.

Incidentally roundasapound, I suspect dorra may already know about this. but twinkletoes, who has the same avatar, was asking the question :lol:
Hi aslemma I wondered why he called me Dorra!!! :lol:
Hi twinkletoes, apologies :o

I'm not a he, I'm a she :lol:
No worries roundasapound :lol:
Score one all I think - one name change and one sex change. :rofl :rofl
Off to Turkey in a few weeks, can anyone tell me if Turkey is part of the EU or not? This makes a big difference in cost while using a mobile from over there, I'm only really planning to use my mobile to text home or so our kids (who will be with us) can contact us if needed and the cost is double if Turkey is not classed as in the EU :think
I can't believe you've asked that question! How much research did you do before booking!

No, Turkey is not part of the EU. The government wants to join but there are numerous political reasons why it is being blocked, inlcuding the fact the army virtually controls the country and decides who can be in the "democratically" elected government. But if the army didn't have such a firm grip the country is likely to collapse into civil war. In the meantime the PKK still makes bombing forays into tourist resorts a couple of times a year whilst journalists and trade unionists still get locked up (and occasionally murdered) for being critical of the government.

I'm not trying to turn the board into a political rant and it's up to you where to go on holiday but can people please do a little bit of research before booking!
When I go abroad, I do take my mobile but only as an emergency contact for family/neighbours. I always give them the name and number of where I'm staying, and if I want to ring them at all, I just buy a phone card in that country. The calls are quite cheap to ring back to the UK anyway. I did that when I went to Cancun last year. I had about 1 hours talktime on the phone card, I can't remember how much I paid for the card, but I know it wasn't too expensive anyway.
If you go to the same country regularly, check how long the number is reserved for between top-ups/usage. In Tunisia it is 6 months, after which the number is suspended. I always make sure mine is topped up at least every six months and I have 'roaming' set up on my Tunisiana SIM so I can at least send a text from home, meaning that as soon as I step off the plane my phone is up and running and the family have the number so they can contact me. It's saved me a fortune in the past few years.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.