Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Remember that your inclusive texts in your contract may not be applicable for use abroad either, so you should both check with your contract providers how much you will be charged for texting each other whilst in Turkey.

Elaine
hi when i was in turkey i bought a sim card but it was blocked after a few weeks but in sept i went to a phone shop they registered my phone 4 me cost 17 ytl with 100 credits on and you have too top up every 6 months to keep it active so will test it next time i go

wendy
Hotchocolate
I use "Talk Home" Cards to call Turkey from UK. I buy them at my local corner shop. They cost £5 and that gives me approx 3 hours mobile to mobile. It also takes the minutes off of my contract minutes. It is possible to use it from a landline and there is no extra charge to your home phone bill. :)
  • Edited by Mys123 2008-01-12 19:09:54
Hi

I am with o2 pay as you go and i have the sim card where you get 300 texts free a month with £10 top-up and have realised if text messages they cost me about 50p a time however if you send picture messages you get these for free (love sending sunny pics to friends back here :) ). The call charges I think have been reduced as the last couple of times I have been there I have used my mobile to call home (to a land line or 02 no.) and it has been just as cheap if not cheaper to use than buying phone cards over there.

Andrea
internet cafe and use skype ( think it spelt like that ) but it is so clear even to the usa
I am with o2 and I have 500 texts a month, if i send a text home they will take 4 texts off my allowance for each text so unless i ring home it does not cost me anything
Suemackey,Check that with O2 first, I think that they would eat up any credit you have, My other half has the same as yourself and she gets charged 50p per txt message.
I have checked it out, Used it in Turkey and Bulgaria last year and I was only charged 4 text messages per one i sent and as I have 500 free inclusisve text messages it did not cost me a penny. I have also checked for this year as well and the same thing applies, is your wife on contract or pay as you go, I am on contract. It also says in my contract.
thanks for your pm sorry i cant reply back but am having a problem with pm. Ring O2 and ask them where you stand, it only started last year. I emailed them last month to check if i could still send free messages and they replied back yes. Maybe you have to be on a certain contract. Let me know what they say
Phoned customer services advised me that I wouldnt get it at all, See they have been trying to get me away from my present contract for years but unless they give me the same deal as I have presently im not going for it at all, meaning they want more money for the same package im already on, They certainly try as hard as they can to do this even last year they tried to make it an 18 month contract without letting me know about it until after 3 months after I had signed the new contract, They were quickly told I have been on 1 year contacts for ten years and I certainly dont want an 18 month one, Problem here is im on an o2 line but pay my contract to Vodafone as they purchased my contract from the company I had my contract with as they bought the company over.
maybe you dont get them because you dont pay them you pay vodofone, or you might have to have a 18 month contract. Did they say you could use this facility 4 texts use per one if you changed contracts? I have just checked my usage on line and i definatley did not get charged. I did email them a couple of months ago and they said mine still stands, so i have it it writing if they decide to change their minds. Keep working at them if you can they may change their minds in the end

The contract i am on also gives me free o2 to 02 calls which is on top of my allowance, and as i only make those calls anyway i downgraded to the cheapest package even though i am on an 18 month contract.
Greetings, can anyone advise on the prefix to add to mobile numbers when trying to contact a friend from UK who is also holidaying in Turkey . I know that to phone UK you add plus 44 and miss out the first zero ,does something similar happen when in Turkey . Thank you , :que :que wee-john
you dont add or miss any numbers when dialling mobile phones, no matter where in the world they may be, just dial the number as you would normally
Greetings glen. Thankyou for that info . Regards,wee-john :tup
Sorry Glen, but our experience has been different to what you have said.
We have found if we use the number held as a contact and it doesn't start +4479 etc it doesnt work, or if you key it as if you were in the UK it also doesn't work. I assume because you are going through a Turkish network it cannot recognise it without +44 and no zero in front of the number as you first said John.
you always have to do +44 and drop the 0 ...then the number you want
Not in my experience. To call any UK mobile anywhere in the world I have only needed to dial the number without any prefix such as 0044.

My auntie regularly texts me on my birthday when I am in Vegas and she wouldn't have a clue about adding a prefix.

luci :wave
Greetings , thanks to all although there appears to be a difference of opinion . I am off to Hisaronu on wednesday and will bear in mind all advice I've been offered and will report back when I come home .I dont think it will deter me from enjoying my hol if I cannot contact my friend . Regards wee-john :cheers :cheers
when we go to the REP/IRE every week end when i phone home to Belfast I always have to do +44 and drop the 0 then my kids mob number ..it was the same when i was in Brazil in july and when i was in india in march :think :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.