Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
when we went in july, to send texts, we needed no prefix..........regardless of how the number was stored in my phone....

but, to dial a house or moblie number we had to use the prefix......

that was on a vodaphone mobile, and the turkish network changed everyday, sometimes twice a day.....
I was in Marmaris earlier this year and phoned several numbers in England during the fortnight as I have from Bulgaria, Cyprus, Tenerife, Majorca and others. I just find the contact on my phone and press the green dial button. I dont do anything to the numbers and I only have them stored normally i.e. 07 whatever for mobiles and the local code for landlines. Its the the same for people who call my mobile when im abroad they just dial the number starting 07. My dad wouldnt have a clue if I started telling him to ring 0044 and knock a zero off etc.
How much does it cost to phone home from Turkey using hotel or public phones.

Also if i use my mobile is it really expensive I Got caught out in Bulgaria not checking cost before we went (£ 90.00 mobile bill for 6 calls !!!!)

Thanks

Only 6 more sleeps first time back in 20 years :D :D
you can buy phone cards from about £5 to use hope this helps

suzie
Hi as suzie said you can buy a phone card,we did last year and still have some left over on it for next year,and we made a few calls with it.Couldnt tell you how much it would cost on a mobile but should imagine it would be expensive. :sun2
Bit thick - Do i buy the phone cards in turkey or can I buy them from WH Smiths etc !!
You buy the phone card in Turkey.

Ola
You can buy the phone cards from any of the shops,theyre really easy to use and it sais when you insert the card into the machine how much you have left on it.
sorry meant to say from any shops in turkey as ola aslo said
We paid 15 YTL for a phone card which we purchased from the shop. If you use it after 8pm you get more minutes for your money. Buying a card for that amount gives you 48 minutes to call a landline in the UK after that time. All of the instructions are on the back and when you dial the number it gives instructions in English too.

If you call a mobile the amount of minutes drops dramtically, but it is the cheapest way to call home. Mobile tariffs vary, but my own was £1.49 per minute to call home with £1.29 to receive incoming calls. Texts were 30p so it can be very expensive.
The phone cards are definately the best and the cheapest. Available from a lot of shops and there are plenty of public telephones out and about.
Remember to enter the international dialing code first in front of the telephone number! ;)
Hi, Can anyone let me know the costs of local Sim cards and what the rate is to call the UK?

I am with Vodafone, but their rate is £1.60 a minute :yikes so i figure a local one would be cheaper.

Regards,

J.
I used phone cards 5tl or 10tl they are simple to use & are really good
Don't forget that if you buy a local SIM card to use in your mobile phone, you have to register it or it will be blocked after a few days.

Jak xx
Are prepaid sim cards easily available in resorts, if so about how much are they and is any particular network better than others. Fethiye area.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Registering a sim card costs you around 16-20 Turkish Lira.It comes with 100 credit inside.By the way if you call uk then it will be over in 3-4 mins.So the best way is buying a phone card.Or if you have a laptop then take it with you,wireless internet is almost everywhere in Marmaris..
Another option that I don't think anyone's mentioned is to buy an International SIM Card for your mobile phone. There's a few websites selling them but the cost/tarriffs differ on each one so it can be a little hard to compare them.

I've just bought one for £16 to take to Turkey with me, this includes £10 credit already loaded on the SIM. On this particular SIM it costs 25p a minute to call a UK Landline from Turkey and 39p to text to a mobile in the UK. Also there's no charges for receiving calls or texts on your mobile. The main reason I bought one was that it would be easier for someone to get hold of me from here, if they needed to. If someone wants to phone me from a BT landline it'll cost them between 10p-20p a minute.

As long as you use the SIM at least once in every 9 month period it won't be locked and you can carry on using it whenever you're away (it can also be used in the UK but wouldn't be cost effective). You top up the SIM over the phone using your credit card.

I've not mentioned which site I bought the SIM from as I'm not sure if that would be classed as advertising and if that's allowed. Money Supermarket compares most of the more established companies, which is where I saw the site that I bought mine from. It's the first time I'll be using an International SIM so won't know how good the service is until I try it but a couple of people I know have used them and found them very reliable, cheaper overall compared to buying phone cards and more convenient.

Josh
I bought one at the Turkcell shop, 40 lira, 20 lira for the sim and registering and 20 lira of credit, very easy and simple to sort out.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.