Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Mobility issues
7 Posts
Hi Flick,I see this subject throughout the forum for the last few years,but nowbody seems to come up with an answer,or recommendation!
I am going to Sousse for a month in November,Its many years ago since I was last there so as far as your question goes I cannot advise nor recommend,What I am doing is taking my own,which is a small scooter which folds up,It cost nothing to put it on the plane,or put it in the boot of a taxi,this is how Im overcoming the problem.though I dont know what facilities are over there ie:footpath curbs or ramps?I hope my senareio gives you more to think about.Hope it works out for you,I know I could'nt manage to walk far or do without my scooter.
brian. :)
I am sorry to say that much as I love Tunisia, it is not a particularly easy place for wheelchair users, at least in Sousse. Most of the hotels are absolutely fine and the staff are very helpful, but out in the streets it is another matter. Firstly the kerbs are quite steep and such ramps as there are frequently get blocked by parked cars, and secondly they have a habit of planting palm trees in the middle of the pavements, leaving little room for wheelchairs or even mothers with prams. The streets in the Medina are particularly narrow, though the locals seem to be able to drive a car through them. Brian's suggestion of taking your own scooter is a good one, as I've never heard of them being available for hire in Tunisia.
Hi Flick - it may be worth contacting your hotel, as the one that we live in does have a couple of wheel chairs for those guests with mobility problems. Not much help to you of course as we live in Mahdia, but it may be worth contacting your hotel - Oh! - had better point out here that most Tunisian hotels are notorious for ignoring e mails, but will generally send an immediate reply to a fax. All best - Jenny x
Thank you all for your replys, there is a lot of good advice there - I will certainly look into it all. I have a small scooter but it never occured to me that I could take it with me on a plane. :)
Hi Flick,
Your travel agent should arrange for you,or contact the airline with your travel details.
Just use your scooter at the airport as you normally would,,through check in, passport control ,ect, at the last minute they will take it off you and put it on the plane,there's no messing about,they give you priority.take my advise and take it with you,
brian24142 :) :tup
Some time ago I made enquiries on another site about hiring mobility scooters in Tunisia and got no response. However, I've just got a reply out of the blue from a company called Med-Peds Mobility Scooter Hire Tunisia and told them I would pass it on for anyone who is interested. I've actually 'Googled' them and their site is in English so it may be useful to someone.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.