Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
moneycorp.com are offering 89 rps according to their website.
I have e-mailed them to ascertain if they are in fact offering currency rather than a prepaid card, transfer etc.
Anyone had any dealings with them?
XE.COM
today
1.00 GBP = 96.3544 INR
British Pound ↔ Indian Rupee
1 GBP = 96.3544 INR 1 INR = 0.0103783 GBP
â—€Convert again INR/GBP
yes thats the exchange rate but are they selling at that price?
temped to buy now in case the rate drop a lot before january, can't see it going higher.
Thats of course if money corp are actually selling banknotes
Exchange rate at 98
But I haven't got my card yet :-(
Icici are offering 94 today.

Will it hit 100?
had this response from moneycorp
Although Indian Rupees are a restricted currency, we have thousands of customers who buy and sell rupees through us.

To confirm, we buy and sell Rupee cash.

You can order for home delivery or branch collection here:

http://travelmoney.moneycorp.com

maybe worth keeping an eye on their rates, or does anyone see any problem here?
Only problem I see with taking large amounts in with you is the chance that it could be taken off you. If your flying direct there's probably less chance as your hand luggage won't be scanned on entry at Dabolim, but if your arriving via Mumbai or Dehli etc its going to scanned at security when you depart from the domestic terminal now I know lots of folks take large amounts if sterling in notes and are not stopped or asked but I think I wouldn't take the the risk,
checked tonight and their rate was 89, whereas the exchange rate for banks is 99.
Quite a difference, I will wait till nearer the time and see what the difference is when the season kicks off and we know what people are getting on the street over there.
Could you tell me how the ICICI money cards work? Not something I've come across before, but would be good to try and get the rupee at the current rate!
Google ICICI Rupee Travelcard.
We used one last year and transferred money a few times. You can't guarantee you will get a better rate as on the high street but who knows?
Once you get your cards you can transfer money into your icici account. You will get an email showing the rate of exchange. Once in India you can activate the card by using one if their ATMs.
After you can use any ATM
Any unused money is returned to your uk account when the card expires.
My only caritas ism would be easier on line access.
We have applied for new ones for this year
Just got my Travel Card for this year, loaded it at a rate of INR102.56 to the pound, only one problem
( anything to do with India and you know there will always be a problem) my calculation was that my £487
should have given nearly 1000 rupees more than the bank did.
I tried phoning them, but after being told I'd got the wrong department three times, the last time I was on
hold for nearly 15 mins I gave up and e-mailed, still waiting for a reply.
With the rate currently being what it is, it's worth a little bit of hassle, but I just wish the Indian establishment
wasn't so bureaucratic.
Looking forward to Visa Application time........Barney
Don't worry I've fixed the Rupee

Finally had my Travelcard come through.
Put £20 on just to get it started

Now the exchange rate has started to fall

Sorry all

Xx
I've used ICICI for an Indian Rupee Travel Card when I went to India a few years ago. Was extremely helpful as I usually just take a lot of money abroad then worry about spending it all so this was one of the first times I used a card, and it was extremely easy to take money out from any ATM machine. Another good point is that it's free to put the money on your card, Think the rate at ICICI is around 99 today!
I've done it again.
loaded the card with £200 and the rate has dropped by 2INR
But lucky me today ICICI are quoting 97.80 but they have just confirmed mine was done at 98.64
That’s nearly 3 bottles of beer difference
:-)
Are there any charges when you use this card?
Only a small set up charge and 25inr if you withdraw money from a non ICICI ATM
You do need to use theirs first to activate the card

It's all a gamble that the rate will continue to drop during the season.
If it does I'm quids in but if it stays high like last time it is just convenient to have a card rather than travellers cheques.
Thanks for that. I am going for 2 months this time and thought a card would be more useful than TC. Do you know if there is a cash machine in Candolim. I will be staying near the Beach Rd.
There a couple if you come out of Beach Road and turn left. About 50mtrs
I prefer the one on the left as it has aircon.
The ICICI ATM is in Calangute just after the 1st mini roundabout on the right.
You need to go there first to activate the card and change your pin.
Using ATMs is a little different as you put the card in then take it out again and then do the transaction.
My card runs out this year and I think the ones they send out now will last till March.
Best give them a call to see first
Thanks for your quick response. I have the dreaded visas to do this weekend for my sister and I and also my neighbour and his son who are coming out for the first time over xmas and don't have a computer, so if I have any brain power left after all that then I will try and have a look into it. Thanks once again for your help. B.
BrenLiz wrote:
Thanks for your quick response. I have the dreaded visas to do this weekend for my sister and I and also my neighbour and his son who are coming out for the first time over xmas and don't have a computer, so if I have any brain power left after all that then I will try and have a look into it. Thanks once again for your help. B.

Hi Brenliz, our visas came back in just 4 days last week so they cant be to busy at the moment. good luck :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.