Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
hi, going on hols for 4 weeks at xmas, which currency would i be better taking to change to rupees, i have euros and amercan get dollars or english pound as i have all of them, which would i the best exchange. thanks
I take sterling notes and sterling travel cheques. However I am sure you can change euros or dollars
Re Oz dollars - the money changer near to Luma Supermarket in Calangute and also near to Daytripper main office if you know that. I think he will take any currency as he has a glass counter where he does the money changing and he has a small denomination notes of all the currencies he has changed and there are lots of them. He is a "good guy" and very money savvy so I would say he would but anyway the ICCI bank or similar would change any currency if they were making money on the exchange rate.
Can anyone tell me closest ATM to Sun Village Hotel
Snowyboy, I think you will need to go into Calangute. We stay at the Marinha Dourada and there is nowhere round about our hotel.
Has anyone had any experience of using the Mastercard / Visa pre pay cards in Goa .
We have used one at various locations on holiday and found them brilliant . Dont want to get caught out by putting all our eggs in one basket so to speak! ;)
hi moosie

i have used prepaid visa debit card in goa. they are amazing ... the dollar rate was high then and i got more value for my dollars. i think the current dollar rate is about $ 1= rs 47 /- its a good rate now. since the usual rate is about rs 40.

but you have to remember, you will eaisily find atms only if you are in panjim main market area or mapusa market (i only stayed north so used to go to mapusa ) during the film festival went to panjim, and found a few atms there.

i used to withdraw money i would need for the week and then go back to mapusa the next week !

its difficult to find atms close to a beach, some are local banks atms (you cannot use international cards on it)

avoid SBI atms. sometimes there is no cash in the machine :)

i used to use bank of baroda atms. they are very good. i have never had problems with bank of baroda atm.
There are a couple of ATM's in Candolim which our Visa Debit cards worked fine in.
Thanks lozza and one world , my OH has a flex account card , so we are going to take some cash and that card . We had a word with Nationwide yesterday and they told us just to make sure we keep a note of the phone number in case we lose the card .
hey guys.. am thinking now of taking travellers cheques and english cash to change as and when we need it, can i change this at the marinha dourada or will i have to go somewhere else and how much money do you reckon i should take just to be comfortable, aint looking to send much on presents but would like to bring a few small things back like jewellery or something. am going for 2 weeks so how much would you take? thanks guys!
Lee.
There's a money exchange place just along from the M.D., I would think you will get a better rate there than in the hotel.
It's difficult to judge what someone else will spend, you could live on as little as £100 and not have a bad holiday ! Realistically I would think £400 would be a good guess.An average meal and beers will be £10-£15 per night per couple. After the essentials the rest is down to how much you drink, how many taxi's you hire, how many bits you buy to bring home.
:wave:
Lee i just get money out as i need it from the ATM and i use my nationwide card and never have payed any costs.

Pip
x :tup
....rate today ....Monday Nov 3rd 76.6271 for a pound down a bit :cry
If it carries on like that I will have to take me own Honeybee out in me bag :rofl
You may find that when you get back and see your statement you have been charged, most ATM dont give you that info and dont give a balance of your account, dont forget the rate here is not what you get back home usually less, at the moment its around the 73rps to the uk pound up and down all the time at the moment.
The pound has been at its lowest for sometime at 73.00. The euro is at 59.00 and the US dollar at 46.20.
Did notice one exchange place avertising just "Best Rate" so unless you went in, the rate was anybodys guess. Incidentally it was a Kashmir jeweller.
Sanjays shoe shop next to Johnnys chemist in Calangute gives a good rate and the jwellers opposite they compete. He also changes rupees back to pounds just in case you have any left over :rofl Hotels are one big rip off they are always at least 5-10 rupees less than the little men.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.