Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Money for Bali
8 Posts
Hi Babs135 .. for a better response, I am transferring your enquiry to our Far East forum, where you will also find various other topics about Bali which may be of interest to you.

David :wave
We go to Bali often and always take our home currency (in my case Aussie $$$) Why change your money twice? I would take your home currency and change it in Bali. There are lots of money changers on arrival at Denpasar airport... just change a small amount there for supplies or a taxi untill you can

Watch them crafty money changers and make sure you count your money and be the last one to touch it, otherwise some of it will disappear under the counter. They often often have another person who will try and distract you. If you see a money changer which offers a really good rate and says 'no commission' then you can bet your bottom dollar they will try and cheat you.

Hope this helps

Cheers Geri
Ooops didn't finish my sentence before I posted.

Just change a small amount at the airport to keep you going untill you get organised. If you haven't got transfers in with your holiday... there is a fixed price taxi rank a few metres to the right after you exited the arrivals hall.

Also, I hope you know there is a a fee of $US25 per person for Visa on Arrival and 150,000 rupiah person Departure tax... this can ONLY be paid in rupiah.

Cheers Geri
I use ATM's (having advised my bank where i'll be in advance so they don't block my account). And a couple of hundred pounds sterling cash in case they do. And always my US$25 in cash (other currencies accepted at pathetic exchange rate, or with problems).

Unless you are American, as said, why lose out changing money twice? Aus $, GBP £ accepted everywhere that US$ are (i.e. money changers, banks).
Just one thing about $US notes dated prior to 2005 ... they will not be excepted anywhere in Bali (not sure why)

Also don't except any dirty, raggy or torn Rupiah notes as you will find no-one will take them off you.

Have a great trip... we are back there in May/June 2011 :sun2

Cheers Geri
Just got back fro Bali on sunday,took sterling no problems,we were getting around 13.500 at airport&Jimbaran where we stayed.In Legian we could get about 14.900,so changed larger amounts then.
Thanks for the advice - spot on as usual for this site :cheers The question re the currency only crossed my mind having 'sat-in' on conversations re Bali on another holiday advice website, and it slightly confused me (although hubby says it doesn't take much to confuse me these days :rofl ). We will be in Australia before visiting Bali so I'll probably change that currency.

Rosalyn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image