Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
is it better value to change money in egypt or get it before you leave. :cheers
I was in Eygpt last week and got a better rate changing my pounds over there than a friend who had bought them in the UK.
I came back last thursday, our rate was 90 in hotel, 94 in banks. In the UK we got 82.
We returned from Sharm last night, we got a better rate in the shops than anywhere else and I still say best to take Sterling, they love it! Also took our usual £50 of one pound coins for tips, and we used that and got it back by changing coins back to notes for them, so have next lot of tip money for the next holiday.
We came back a few weeks ago from either our 4th or 5th visit and as usual tipped in LE10, LE20, LE50 etc notes and they were perfectly fine with that as well. We did get bugged by someone to change back some pound coins once, but then we were in an 'English' hotel, but asked them to go back to the people that were tipping in them as we dont carry sterling about with us in Egypt. So I guess it's horses for courses.

Doe :wave:
Going to Eygpt next week and staying at the Grand Sharm Plaza hotel in Sharm (AI) and was wondering if anyone knows if there are any ATMS or Banks nearby. :que

Dont know what is best to take, sterling, eygptian, USD or debit card? Any thoughts gratefully recieved :)

Also any advice on how much to take (two adult two teenagers) want to do couple of trips and eat out couple of nights.

:tup

Thanks in advance
Sorry can't help with your particular hotel but many have their own ATM and or bank for changing money . I always take sterling and change as I need it there or use the ATM , you get a slightly better rate in Egypt . You may feel happier taking a small amount of Egytian currency for the odd tips etc on arrival but I don't usually bother now, I know it's not advised but I give the porter who takes our bags 2 x £1 coins but then again I'm perfectly happy to change them up with the staff later. You would only really need usd if you intend buying a visa from one of the cheaper booths at sharm or if maybe you know of any trips you want to go on that are priced in USD and you don't want to be victim of the exchange rate.

I would of thought £400/£500 would be plenty but you may not even need that.. I would change or withdraw money as you need it .
I'm with Lyn on this in so far as take sterling and change it up when you are there.

I'm not sure but I think I have seen this hotel on the Peace Road on the way into Namma Bay from the Ras um el Sid end of Sharm. If so you may be able to walk into namma bay, where there will be banks and ATM's that you can use.

if not many of the better hotels have machines that you feed with sterling and they give back LE, not sure on the rate of exchange but they are very convienent.

Perhaps tip in small denomination egyptian. We dont use pound coins on few counts.

First being their banks don't deal in foreign coinage the same as all banks the world over so they have to pester other UK holiday makers to change them to notes, plus there was a s c a m going where for every 8 you got bunged 2 or 3 duds, but Brits are so keen to help they dont check until they get home, or try and spend it on the plane & realise they have been done up like a kipper. Plus it lends to over tipping they dont want 50 pence pieces. You are better giving out 10LE & 20LE to lots who gives good service, sort of little and often. The exception for us is the room boy who if he has done a good job who we would leave a fiver in each room, or tenner between two rooms for a week.

I think £500 UK should be fine if you are AI.

I would also hire a safe for your valuables the same as you would anywhere in the world, you don't really want to be leaving 500 in notes in a suitcase or carrying it around. If you are confident maybe bring £100 and draw the rest out with a bank card as you go along.

Doe :sun2
I was taking a look at our maps http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/maps-hotel-locations-etc-sharm-luxor-t142889.html and it look as though your hotel is located up at Nabq Bay so you will have to take some form of transport in to Naama Bay as it is too far to walk.

There will be some ATM's in the hotels, perhaps others have some info on this area?
Opps. Sorry about that, I must of been thinking of a different hotel.

On the plus side though there is a row of banks up at Nabq or at least there was when I Iast went. There was a HSBC and an Egyptian Bank as I went into the later and changed money as they had great air conditioning, also they had ATM's outside as well, for when the banks are shut.

Doe
Hi anybody in Egypt now or just returned, I am off to sharm in December and would like to know what the exchange rate is in the banks over there , I always take sterling with me as I have always got better rate in sharm than uk
Thanks
Tracy
First time to Hurghada and Egypt staying at the Siva Grand hotel. I usually take a mix of local currency, sterling and travellers cheque, what would you advise me to take and are there cash machines near the hotel. Thank you.
When we went to Egypt in December we took sterling and changed it at a machine in the hotel which was a better rate than change offices.
I stayed over the road to the Siva Grand 3 years ago and there was a change desk in reception where we changed our sterling.
We also have a Halifax Clarity card as there is no charge for using the ATM s abroad and if you pay the money back as soon as you return its only 1% interest.
Your hotel is lovely and in a great area with lots of shops ,bars and restaurants just outside. :tup
Hi Carl,

We have been to Egypt several times over the years.

Convert your GBP to EGP while over there as you will get approx 10% more for your money. Regarding tips, we generally use USD as it is easier on our pocket, but have also used EGP in the past. Just to add everything in the Duty Free shops at the airport is priced up in USD.
are they still doing travellers cheques ???? take sterling and change local always better rate.
I thought travellers cheques were a thing of the past? I think the last time I used them was about 20+ years ago.
Take Sterling, many hotels have machines that you feed the money (English notes only) and you get the official exchange rate.

We also use a worldwide CaxtonFX card which is a pre paid Visa which we load and use in the machines or as any normal credit card in restaurants etc, there is no charge for using it in a machine.

I have never quite figured out changing £ Sterling into US $ then in to local currency :que is it cheaper once you do all those conversions?

Worth noting that on occasion, well in fact regularly the ATM's do go down, if this happens try a different hotel or brand of bank machine and you will find one that works, most hotels will let you use their ATM.
About 5 years ago we we told to take travellers cheques to sharm from thomas cook. It was horrendous trying to change them, they do not like them, for us they would not give money in local currency, they changed it into $ which was a rip off as the money was half back then :( so we ended up losing half our spends. Since 2005 i have going to Sharm that was the first & last time of the rip off game. Now i only ever take sterling, and get a great return with Egyptian pounds.
Forgot to mention take your passport with you and another ID , sometimes they may want more than one, you may have to find a travel bureau like Thomas cook to change them
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.