Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Oh i knew that! :D Clearly got dollars on the brain!

If your tipping in LE then how much is standard? We were probably going to give a few $ depending on the service, would about 20 LE be all right as a tip you reckon? (if its around 10LE to the pound) We don't mind tipping well at all if it gets us better service, and helps the staff out!

xxxx

(sorry for all the questions, we've never been to Egypt before, or AI for that matter! it's all a bit new to us, don't want to offend anyone out there!)
would about 20 LE be all right as a tip you reckon?

Yes, that is widely regarded as the going rate :tup
It is much better if you can tip in local currency (LE)

So as a guide, how much in LE would you tip for:

bag grabbers at airport

restaurants

bars

and anything else you can think of?? :que

Staying AI in Aqua Blu, so advice would be good

J.
:rofl julian

Dont let anyone grab your bag at sharm . It's a very small walk anyway . when you get to your coach (assuming yo are on a package ) you will be told that you don't need to tip the guy putting on your cases . They always hold their hands out anyway and if you are not brave enough dont give more than £1.

At an A/I dont tip more than 20 LE . 10 will be fine (equvilent to a pound or 2) . Once we have given the bag guy a tip we usually give the pool guy 20LE every 2/3 days (he will put your towells out in the morning) , same with your favouite barman or 2 and same again for those that look after you in the restuarants .

cleaners I tend to give a bit more as we have 2 rooms and my lads room is always shocking . Maybe 30 LE every few days and then some extra at the end . About 50 per room

lyn
First time we went to Egypt we took pound coins to tip with, dont do it now though, they cant change coins at the bank and they ask you if you will exchange coins for notes, you end up coming home with more coins than when you went.(cant be doing with running round looking for atm's, waste of leisure time im my opinion.
We now use Euro or Sterling, but I found its easier to use Egyptian so you dont have to keep converting to know what your paying.
Word of warning if your going to AI hotels, most hotels bill you at the end of your stay for things like Spa's, drinks you may have to pay for (like Martini, Tia Maria) etc they only accept umblemished notes, (no tears,no writing or marks) and some will only accept a certain amount in cash (think its £200). We usually tip the A La Carte's between £5-£10 depending on how good they are, cleaners we tip at the end of the holiday, and waiters especially the pool waiters, every other day, seems to work we are never short of drinks or service
Why not just change your sterling to LE when you arrive at the airport in Egypt? You will get a much better rate of exchange and if you need to buy a visa, do it in local currency rather than sterling....
probably because the currency over there is so dirty and in a poor state that they are producing new stuff. it's much better to exchange it while in Egypt u get better rate but we've never had a problem taking sterling or us dollars - they are more than happy to accept either, plus most hotels have a cash point on site for u to use.
Agree with the above ....... you will receive about 10% more for your moeny when exchanging in Egypt than in the UK. We normally get about £200 EGP over here from Tesco (never had a problem) and chang the rest from GBP to EGP when over there.

Pat
Hi
We are going to holiday village red sea in feb our first time to Egypt and are wondering what the best currency is to take. I understand that they have their own pound but do they take euro and american dollars as well as i already have some of these and where is the best place to change money home or when there.
Many thanks
Suzanne
Yes as a last resort you could tip the staff in $ or £, however banks don't accept £ coins and that then means that the person you tipped will then have to come around asking tourists to exchange the £ back again in to LE (Egyptian pounds), it is definitely not the best way to tip (plenty info already in this topic regarding tipping in LE only), a better solution would be to exchange your £ at one of the banks in the the airport (where you purchase your visa) when you arrive in Egypt, you will get a better rate when exchanging in Egypt as compared to exchanging here in the UK.

Most hotels will also have a money exchange or you can do it in a bank.
Beejay we were at Reef Oasis last year and they have money exchange facilities
Thanks Rosie, we go next Sunday 5th, were in Sharm in March and did change money for staff, gave them notes in exchange for £.
I actually came back with more coins than I went with the first time in Egypt!
We were in Sharm in July this year going back to same hotel this time.

What was the weather like in March?
Can anyone please tell me what currency is best for tipping in whilst in Sharm El Sheikh ?
In Sharm it's best to tip in LE as it is there local currency. Anything else and they have to go to their banks to change it into Egyptian. Their banks wont take £1 coins so they are a particular problem and they have to bug tourists to change them into a ten pound note - they are a bit suspicious of fivers as I dont think they see many of them.
Hi dojoman

I have merged your question in to this existing topic which has plenty of advice already re tipping :tup

Again I will say that it IS BEST for the locals if you can tip in Egyptian Pounds (LE) as this is the local currency and it is the most convenient currency for the them, they don't then have to go and try getting pounds coins changed back from other tourists as Egyptian banks won't take them or go to a bank to exchange $.

You can exchange currency when you arrive at the airport in one of the small banks that issues the Visa.
Wouldnt advise taking dollars, we came back from Sharm last night and even at the airport one shop was very very hesitant to take them.
I have never taken Egyptian currency on the three trips I've had there. They certainly like sterling and euros even the smallest of shops will give you the days exchange rate. I bought something for 80 egypt pounds and when I said stirling he said £8, not bad at all. Beware buying water at the airport, £4 for a small bottle, wait till you get on your flight.
Sharm had a sandstorm yesterday and all the pooters went down at the airport, nightmare at the best of times but this was really bad.
weather got slightly colder on our 2nd week, winds were getting higher but by 11am the sun beat the slight chill, staff all walking round in fleeces and there we were sunbathing and swimming, they think we are mad . LOL Our evening entertainment was held equivalent to being in a brick box with no roof and the wind was cold had to wear jackets. Oh and it rained yesterday....for about 2 minutes LOL
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.