Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Moped hire
10 Posts
Bredsticz wrote:
Hi, i was wondering if anybody knew how old you have to be to hire a moped in Gran Canaria??
It's my first time visiting! Thanks

AFAIK you have to be 18 to drive anything as a tourist in any Spanish place mainland or Island and don't forget GC taxi's are cheaper than the UK
But everywhere I've looked says to hire a car you have to be 21 and your licesnse for 2 years. for a motorbike or quadbike it says 19 with license for a year. I have just turned 18 and had my license since november last year, so i would have had it for about 6-7 months when i go away. and i don't particularly like taxis anyway.
Sorry knew the bit about the licence being at least a year old and clean

We did PR in November 99% of the taxi's are Merc and clean and driven extremely courteously and at €2 from beach to top of the hill well worth it
depends on where you are staying as to who would be best to hire from or at least to get in touch with them and ask direct, as from 16 you can ride a moped here and it is down to the discretion of the hire company and their insurance as to whether or not to accept your business.
NeilTheBeaver wrote:
depends on where you are staying as to who would be best to hire from or at least to get in touch with them and ask direct, as from 16 you can ride a moped here and it is down to the discretion of the hire company and their insurance as to whether or not to accept your business.

Hi Neil
Yes if you live there
but Spanish Law re-tourists is stricter or is the Law in GC different would love to know
my bad, law was changed to 17 this year. As far as age limit is concerned it varies as the costa del sol requires 23 and 4 years driving, here (for a car) is only 21 and 1 year driving. Best bet would be to contact the moped hire company direct and ask them as it their final decision and concessions can be made.

**** spain has the highest mortality rates in europe on their roads, your holiday insurance and holiday company will strongly recommend against the hire of mopeds ****
Having witnessed the death of a young German holidaymaker last year who was riding a scooter in Ibiza, I would strongly suggest that the safest and cheapest option is a bus or taxi.

It is also very important that you first check with your holiday insurer before even thinking about hiring out mopeds/scooters.
NeilTheBeaver wrote:

**** Spain has the highest mortality rates in Europe on their roads, your holiday insurance and holiday company will strongly recommend against the hire of mopeds ****

I'll come clean I did hire a moped ONCE in Zacynthos

It was a good job we were experienced bikers then as we had to put the back wheel back on after 5 miles as it fell off :que :yikes :yikes

the hire firms reaction -- it happens :yikes

Cars only now and from a reputable company even if it costs a a little more
Would strongly recommend using taxis or buses in Gran Canaria rather than hiring mopeds/quadbikes - no matter how experienced you are the roads are unfamiliar and not everyone else is a safe driver. As already mentioned the island does have a high mortality rate from this :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.