Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
ooh Fiona, that's definitely one to add to our list for September, it looks good
Hi Fiona

The Symphony of Lights is definitely worth seeing. The best vantage point is probably somewhere near the old clock tower on the Kowloon promenade. When we were there it was absolutely jam-packed. That was Christmas week, so there were probably more visitors than usual, but it would probably be a good idea to get there reasonably early just in case.

We've done two evening cruises. The first time we went there we did the cruise to Aberdeen, which included dinner on the Jumbo. The cruise itself was excellent, especially the part where you enter Aberdeen Harbour and all the high rise apartments are lit up all around you. It reminded me of the scene from Star Wars where they fly into the Death Star! The dinner itself was fairly so-so - good for the experience of eating on the Jumbo, but the food was only average at best and it felt a bit like being on a production line with so many people being served the same dishes all at the same time.

The other cruise we went on was to a seafood village up the coast. When we arrived we had a short tour of all the stalls where you can pick out your own fish from a tank and have it cooked in one of the restaurants. Sadly, we weren't able to do that as the dinner included in the tour was a set meal, which wasn't bad, but not like picking your own. The restaurant was a lot smaller than the Jumbo though, so more of a personal feel to it.

For both trips, I'd say that if you're going for the experience of the cruise itself, then they are worthwhile, but as far as the food's concerned, don't expect anything different from what you'd probably get at your local bog-standard Chinese restaurant in the UK.

One cruise that we plan on doing next time we go is on the Duk Ling (details on the HKTB website here.) We had hoped to do it last time, but again because of the Christmas crowds, it was fully booked for the whole time we were there.

It's a daytime trip, but I think it sounds like fun!

Elaine
Thanks for all that info Elaine. I think on the strength of what you said we won't do them. I like the look of the Duk Ling one but we can't do it. :( We arrive Sunday and leave Wednesday evening.
I think there are sunset 1 hour cruises - we may go for that.
Re the Lights - I know exactly where are you are talking about for the vantage point. That is really handy news. Thanks!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image