Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Motorway tolls
8 Posts
No tolls yet, Steamy, but there are gantries and signs in place which only need uncovering. I haven't heard anything lately about when the tolls will be implemented. Things normally happen very slowly in Portugal ..... but then again they need the money!
Would appear that there's still no resolution over the A22 becoming a toll road. Keep an eye on the Algarve Resident website as they've been very quick on reporting any new information.
Update on the implementation of the tolls on the A22, is that it is scheduled to go ahead this Autumn, possible as early as September. Update report in the Algarve Resident.

http://www.algarveresident.com/main.asp
Just back from the Algarve on Saturday and toll charges are still not in operation yet on the A22. The gantries with cameras and signs with the toll charges are still covered up. There was a protest on Saturday 8th Oct while we were on holiday that caused a fair bit of disruption near Faro airport. The Sixt car hire guy told us that the government want to intoduce the tolls by the end of the month but it is possible that it may well be delayed again. :que
That's right. There was an ministerial announcement a few days ago that tolls would be in effect "by the end of the month" but this was quickly countered by a statement from another minister that there might be further delays owing to the legal position not having been properly sorted out. They've only had a year since the original announcement.

You don't need to wonder why the country is in such a mess when left and right hand don't now what each are saying or doing.

Anyway, the forthcoming massive tax rises and price hikes are going to have far more of an effect on your holiday budget than a few measly tolls.

Parliament is due to vote on this in a month. The unions have promised a wave of general strikes if the package is voted through.

Debate the effect elsewhere, but the price of electricity will go up 30%, VAT on restaurant meals from 13% to 23%, VAT on bottled water and many packaged foods from 6% to 23%, 5% on tobacco tax. Council tax may double in some areas. Do the sums yourselves. Those restaurants and bars that don't close down will have to raise prices very considerably.

I hear Greece is quite pleasant in winter. have a nice day.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.