Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Muggers Alley
66 Posts
Hi B.H.I.C. I will try to check out the so called "Muggers Alley" whilst I am there next week but I can't promise anything, been all inclusive I'm afraid that it won't be a priority. :lol: I may be too busy getting intoxicated by night and feeling too :yuck by day to explore that area.

Sue :) :)
I forgot to ask, what is it with you and that "Yellow Brick Road". You seem to have an unhealthy obsession about the place. Your not the real Dorothy reincarnated are you? :omg

I forgot to ask, what is it with you and that "Yellow Brick Road". You seem to have an unhealthy obsession about the place. Your not the real Dorothy reincarnated are you?

:lol: No, I don['t believe so. No, it was a question I raised a few weeks back about how that particular pathway became known as The Yellow Brick Road....and at that time Sanji noticed I did not have an Avatar, not that I actually knew then what an Avatar was, so we came up with the one you see that I am using now....although I am currentley looking for a suitable replacement as i think my Dorothy has found her Wizard now :wink:

Try not to interupt your holiday too much, but if you do find time to investigate Mugger's Alley, I'm sure all HT members, and those non members who are reading this would be very grateful.
Well speaking from experiance,

When i lived and worked in Benidorm, muggers alley was known to me as where Kennedy 2 apts are and along the side of them which goes passed Primevera Dos. This area has been known as muggers mile and muggers alley long before the Pimevera dos were built.

From Buddies Bar upwards the crime is there to be seen. Whilst working in my friends bar we had people coming in regular telling us that there apartment had been robbed whilst they had been out at night. These apartments are the Palm Beach, the are not high rise and can be got into easy from the pathway.

Beyond the Palm beach you then have to contend with the gangs of Algerians and Moroccans who stand there waiting for the people who are worst for wear. They do the old trick of throwing a football infront of there target pretending to play football, whilst they are being tackled the wallet is gone in a flash.

Even beyond the so called muggers alley, there are find the pea men and the rose sellers still operating. No matter what you tell people you can still see poeple throwing 50euros down trying to find a pea that isn't there. People are still bartering with the women rose sellers and letting them thrust a bunch of roses in there face, whilst they get destracted another member of there clan is in your back pocket or handbag.

I could go on & on of all the instances i came accross, i am sure we all have our own stories to tell. The best advice i could give is don't go out with lots of money and get a taxi back to your hotel at night if its beyond half a mile no matter where you are staying.

I am sure this news is all what we have heard before anyway and it won't spoil our returning holidays to Benidorm, muggers alley or not!

Gazbo_1
As with any holiday destination, if you keep alert, then you will be OK.

Just don't let your guard down in a suspicious area.
Hello everyone, I'm back :(
As for "Muggers Alley" Well, it is where I thought it was, which is in between The Barcello Paeblo and the Mini Golf place.
I only spent a couple of minutes at the beginning of it observing. i didn't tell anyone that I was a spy for H.T. :lol:
There were plenty of people walking up and down, it has a path to one side, a narrow road in the middle and a waste area to the other side nearest to the market. There were street lamps as far as I could see but I don't know if they go all the way up. :?:
I personally would have walked up it alone if this forum hadn't made me so paranoid :yikes but would be a bit wary on an evening.

Hello everyone, I'm back
As for "Muggers Alley" Well, it is where I thought it was, which is in between The Barcello Paeblo and the Mini Golf place

Hi Sue, welcome back. As this is such an important issue, can I just confirm that you mean the Benidorm Pueblo (It's no longer called the Barcello Pueblo since it was taken over by the Hoteles ServiGroup).

If that is so, then I have been talking about the same place.
Yes that is correct B.H.I.C. We are refering to the same Hotel. I forgot that it had changed names, :?

Yes that is correct B.H.I.C. We are refering to the same Hotel. I forgot that it had changed names,

Then in that case, I agree. Its a prefecly reasonable route to take during daylight hours, but I would never venture along there as soon as it becomes dark. You don't really save that much time, but you could save yourself a lot of heartache.

Anyway, Sue, I hope you had a brilliant time and thanks for checking that out for all of us....much appreciated.
Hi everyone

We have just come back from the Paraiso 10 apartments and from the view from our balcony on the 17th floor :yikes I can confirm that the first part of "Muggers Alley" by the Primavera Dos has a footpath and lights as Sue has said but this doesn't extend all the way up. Even though I was with my husband we never walked this way at night and preferred to use the main streets to get back to the apartment.

Michelle :)
hi all
this muggers ally is it ant where near the levante lux apartmets as we will be staying there in may and its our first time in benidorm with my 2 young girls and sounds like a place to stay well away from :shock:

many thanks carp
No Carpman, it's nowhere near where you will be staying.

We stayed at the Primavera Dos three years ago and there was no mention of the lane being called muggers alley. It always appeared safe to me as it was well lit and we heard of no muggings.
As with anywhere you go on holiday, don't carry to much money around with you and always be aware of your surroundings. (hubby's a police officer, that's him talkin)
there was no mention of the lane being called muggers alley. It always appeared safe to me as it was well lit and we heard of no muggings.

I cannot say that I have heard of anyone getting 'mugged; here either. But its because the lane, pathway, road, dirt track....whatever you prefer to call it, 'looks' like a possible 'muggers paradise' that us Brits have christened it with that 'tag'.

Same as 'Cardiac Hill'. I'm not aware of anyone actually suffering a from a heart attack or a cardiac arrest from using this road.....its just aquired that name because of its very steep gradient.

'The Yellow Brick Road' road is another example. This pathway is NOT a 'road' and its certainly not yellow (although I understand it used to be many years ago)....but because of its resemblance to the famous 'road' in the movie, it has somehow aquired this nickname.

'The Square' is yet another. Personally, I would hardly call it a 'square'....but we Brits have christened it with this nickname and now almost everyone knows exactkley where you are talking about if you refer to 'The Square'.

These are all just quaint little nicknames that us Brits have made up....as we do. But in as far as 'Mugger's Alley' is concerned, I would still advise that you do not use it when night falls. You really don't save that much time. No one has been 'mugged' here to date, to the best of my knowledge....but I would still exercise a bit of common sense as I would at home. I would never walk down a poorly lit alleyway here after dark just to shave a few minutes off of my journey. I see no reason to 'drop your guard' simply because you are on holiday.

Regular visitors to Benidorm will be only too well aware of where 'Mugger's Alley' is and I'm sure they use their noddle and don't use this footpath late at night.
To anyone who has booked a holiday to Beni for the first time, and are reading this thread......please, please do NOT be put off....or worry unduly. Its really not as bad as it sounds from reading these posts.

Just bare in mind that Benidorm is a large Cosmopolitan City and take appropriate precautions as you would in your own Towns or Cities and you really should have nothing to worry about.
There you go again B.H.I.C. mentioning the Yellow Brick Road. I thought of you last week when I was venturing up it, are you sure that your not obsessed :?: :lol:

As for "Muggers Alley" we were once walking passed when we were informed by a couple that they had just experienced a mugging so when it's dark it's best avoided.

There you go again B.H.I.C. mentioning the Yellow Brick Road

:rofl Something told me you would say that Sue. :lol: No, I assure you I am not obcessed with The Yellow Brick Road.....I was just trying to point out how we Brits have a quaint little way of applying nicknames to places and things in an effort to try and reassure the readers that 'Mugger's Alley' is probably no where near as bad as it is being 'painted' on these threads....
we were once walking passed when we were informed by a couple that they had just experienced a mugging
......although reading that, now I'm not so sure :cry: :roll:
I was in Benidorm last July staying at Parriso 10 appartments.
During a two week stay i witnessed two incidents on muggers alley, this is not hearsay this is fact.
The second time involved an elderly couple so anyone is fair game to these low life.Please dont go here after dark, pleany of other routes that will take you back safely.
During the day you may also notice a family of Illiterate dwarfs actually live on the waste ground next to here, Please dont make fun of them as it's not big and it's not clever :roll:
During the day you may also notice a family of Illiterate dwarfs actually live on the waste ground next to here, Please dont make fun of them as it's not big and it's not clever

Rimshot, cymbal. Take my wife etc.
Hi all
:)

I came back form staying in the primavera dos last night, had stayed there for 3 nights and the accomodation is brill, really clean and quite.
I Walked up ''Muggers Alley on my own loads of times and never seen on wierd looking or ''Mugger once'' ! it is a popular and well used short cut by meny uk tourist, but saying that i would not walk up it at night ,

Gemma
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.