Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Muggers Alley
66 Posts
I have recently returned from Benidorm and was staying at the Regente Hotel. I noticed in hte dining room one morning that a man who appeared to be on his own had lots of cuts to his face and a black eye. I feel awful now for wrongly assuming that he had been fighting. :oops:
I got talking to him a couple of days later outside the hotel as he was waiting for the Thomson coach for his return journey.
He told me that he had been attacked and robbed of his watch and 100 euros. When I asked him where............. Yes you've guessed it, "Muggers Alley" It's terrible that this still seems to be happening. He had reported it to the police and hopefully may recover some of his loss through his insurance But he still has to deal with the trauma of the attack.
I must stress to anyone who has not been to Benidorm before, it is generally a safe place but it's like anywhere else, you have to be vigilant on an evening and avoid unlit areas if you can. I only witnessed one incident of violence whilst I was there which involved an old Spaniish woman and her husband fighting with an old Spanish man, much to the amusement of the drivers at the taxi rank who were all laughing and pointing. They attracted quite an audience, never found out what it was all about :lol:

Sue :) :)
When I lived in Benidorm I used to walk past muggers alley as they call it all the time, only ever seemed to be teenagers with bottles of beer up there.

The only instances I saw of muggings were those who made the poor decision to walk up from Buddies Bar and across the fields to the nightclubs outside of Benidorm

The old storm drain next to the Primavera is perfect to hide in!

I was trawling through HT, the other day and I think it was Maria who said that the huge sprawl of grassland where the market is, is about to be developed (mind you, they've been saying that since 1990)

I remember it when it was filled with large villa's and private housing, which seems to have been abandoned these days
I'm really surprised that that expanse of waste land is still just that......waste land. I would have thought it would have been built on long before now. Maybe when it finally is, 'Mugger's Alley' might be 'modernised' somewhat and might be saver to use.

Even if they build a Park or something there, it might make the area a little bit more 'desirable' so to speak. At the moment it is not a very pleasant area to wlak around late at night....Muggers Alley I mean.
I'm really surprised that that expanse of waste land is still just that......waste land. I would have thought it would have been built on long before now

I read something about that yonks ago and cannot for the life of me (at this moment) remember the details....but the general concensus is, that there is a dispute going on about who actually owns the land in question. :wink:

sanji x
Sanji wrote:
that there is a dispute going on about who actually owns the land in question.

Actually, now you mention that, I must admit I heard that rumour myself , but a long time back. That would indeed account for why the area has been left undeveloped. Its a shame really because it is such a large expanse of land, something could be built there. Not necessarily another High Rise, but maybe a small static fairground or something similar.

All the time that piece of land remains in the state that it is, Muggers Alley will continue to be a 'no go' area after dark.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.