Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Muggers Alley
66 Posts
It's the dirt track which stretches from Hotel Flamingo Benidorm to the outdoor market area at Hotel Pueblo Benidorm, passing by the Paraiso 10, Kennedy, Primavera Dos and various other apartment complexes. It's easily and best avoided, especially at night time.

David :wave
thanks for that, we're staying along the other end so probably wont be up that way too often.
Im staying at the Primevara Dos 9th of march for 3 nights - i read on the reports that the "dirt alley" is no more and is now well lit at night. Is this the case? Worried thinking that me and my friends could get mugged!!! :yikes
This is worrying as me and my family will be satying at the Playmar apartments (Close to the market) in june this year.
but will be traviling daily the flamingo hotel as we have an all inclusive pass for this hotel.

my wife and i are quite concerned now as we have 3 children, is there alternative routes avoiding this dirt track?

on a slightly different tone has anyone visted playamar apartments as i cannot find any reviews on these apartments?
Hi Silverfoxy ... the Playamar is a relatively new complex, which may explain the lack of feedback from previous guests. However, anyone who has stayed there recently may like to add a review by clicking here.

I would not regard the Playamar as being particularly convenient for the Flamingo Benidorm, even if you were to use the dirt track as a short cut. On an all-inclusive basis, I would imagine that you are going to be spending a lot of time trekking back and forward between both complexes. But, the dirt track is easily avoided by walking along Calle Ibiza and Calle Cuenca instead. However, I have a feeling you may want to budget for some additional taxi expenses !! Some say that the general area around the dirt track has or is being improved, but I haven't seen it recently myself to confirm that.

I seen lots of people using "muggers alley" last week during day light hours as a short cut. We even used it to locate the market on Wednesday.
Did not see it being used at night, it looks unsafe then.

Robert
thank you for your replies!

when i booked this holiday i was told a 5-10 min walk which didn't sound to bad, but after reading your post childersley i am wondering if it was more sale pitch than an accurate walking time.

this will be my first time in this part of spain so i have no idea of where these places are.

how long a walk would you say going the safe route that was mentioned (Calle Ibiza and Calle Cuenca ) compared to going the dirt track if anyone knows?

i suppose extra bugeting for taxi's is safest bet.
That's a difficult one to answer SilverFoxy, without knowing your family circumstances. A 15 minute brisk walk is perhaps possible, but other factors may slow you down, such as walking uphill on a hot summer's day with 3 kids and any prams/buggies in tow. Market crowds on a Wednesday and Sunday would certainly slow your progress. Avoiding the dirt track would add at least 5 minutes, depending again on your circumstances.

A taxi would take less than 5 minutes, excluding market days, but whether or not you would all get in one taxi may depend on whether any of the kids is a baby. Taxis generally carry 4 passengers.

Just out of interest, who is selling such an unusual holiday arrangement, with accommodation and AI facilities so far apart ?

• Edited by David 2006-02-20 18:03:00
I found this on the Alpha Rooms Site.

Sorry Sue, I have had to edit that for copyright reasons, but please feel free to post a direct link to the page, or perhaps PM Silverfoxy with the info.
David HT Mod
Just out of interest, but who is selling such an unusual holiday arrangement, with accommodation and AI facilities so far apart ?

I thought that David :wink: although both properties are owned by the Marconfort group.
It seems it is http://www.lastminute.com :roll: I can`t wade through all the pages, :roll: but this will give you an idea...they are saying a 10 minute short walk between properties.
CLICK HERE
and another one using the Vista Mar apts
CLICK HERE
besos xxx
Sanji
Thanks Sanji. I can understand such an arrangement between the Vistamar and the Flamingo Benidorm, as they are neighbouring properties. But I am a bit surprised that the Playamar should be included.

I am also wondering what sort of pressure this puts on services at the Flamingo Benidorm, where its own residents will have to take their place in the queues amongst visiting AI guests from other apartment complexes in the resort. Dining, bar and leisure facilities at that hotel were designed according to the number of guests which can comfortably be accommodated in its own rooms/apartments. If I was staying at Flamingo Benidorm, I would be concerned that additional guests from external complexes might put an unreasonable demand on resources.

This is a map I have just scanned, :D whilst the location of the Flamingo is spot on :D the Playamar apartments are situated on Calle Zamora, this is just to give you an idea only.
Maybe someone will be able to give you the best and quickest directions and looking at the map will now make sense. :wink:
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/3759/save00034xz.th.jpg
click on image to enlarge
the dirt track is easily avoided by walking along Calle Ibiza and Calle Cuenca instead.

:oops: wake up sanji :oops:

besos xxx
Thanks people found the map very useful sanji :)
got your pm SUE thanks.

my family is not to young now with the youngest being 11 through to 16 so walking is not to bad!

although as david said budgeting for taxi's wouldnt be the worst of idea's :)
this holiday is booked through Sun4u!

feel a bit better that i can keep out of the the dirt track but bit disappointed in distance to walk

thank for your help though guys and gals :D
By all means use the Flamingo during the day for the free drinks for the kids etc but DON'T waste your evenings in a hotel just to save a few quid. If you do you'll miss the whole point of Benidorm!
I agree with Colin WWW, daytime at Flamingo Benidorm will be fine, but do get out and see a bit of what the town has to offer.

IMO, Benidorm is the last place I would want to be tied down to one hotel.
Just got back from staying in the Primavera Dos apartments (the ones everyone goes on about the "Muggers alley") well i can confirm it is so not an alley but a tiled street with very good lighting along the way - so if anyone is staying there i can confirm you will feel very safe walking along there and there isnt anything to worry about & there location is great to pubs and clubs as its 5 mins from square but far enough out to get some sleep during the day to cure those hangovers :D

Also the Primavera Dos apartments are spotless and would 100% stay there again.
well I can confirm it is so not an alley but a tiled street with very good lighting along the way

I am sorry to contradict you, but I do not think you are referring to the same place that we all know as 'Mugger's Alley'. 'Mugger's alley' is definately NOT a "tiled street with very good lighting". Its a dirt track with NO lighting whatsoever.

We are talking about the small uneven, rough pathway, which is nothing more than dirty sandy gravel that runs down alongside a piece of waste ground and emerges just by the side of the Benidorm Pueblo Hotel on one side and a sort of kiddies tramplelining facility on the other. There are old bags and rubbish embedded in the concrete on this path which is certainly NOT tiled.

I'm not sure where you are making reference to, but its certainly not 'Mugger's Alley'........at least not the one we know, unless there are two Mugger's Alley's :?: :hmmm
The one im talking about is as you come out of main reception at Primevara Dos apartments - if you turn right out of reception and walk to the bottom and turn right again you come to the Pueblo Benidorm. If you stand at primavera Dos reception entrance and look accross you can see where the outdoor market it

Maybe what im thinking was called muggers alley and what actually is must be two different things
Well it sounds like we are both in the same area, because 'Mugger's Alley' is within about 2 minutes walk from the Outdoor Market. I'm sorry, I cannot recall the street names off hand, but as you walk down, or up this little 'dirt track' you can see the Market on your left (walking down) or on your right (walking up). I have not ben to Benidorm since last October, and when I was there then this 'pathway' was certainly not tiled, in fact its been in the same state as I remember it ever since I have been going to Benidorm since the early 1980's.

I was not aware that it was called 'Mugger's Alley' until the pathway was mentioned in a recent thread somewhere, and David PM'd me to confirm the location. As you walk down the track, there are some Apartments on the left hand side, but just an open waste land on the right hand side. If there are any street lamps then they are very well hidden. I have never personally walked along this track in the hours of darkness as it does not look very safe to do that, so I cannot really confirm if there is street lighting, but I am sure there is not.

I am aware of a few other pathways that are tiled, but they are not in the same area of Town and no where near the Outdoor Market. Of course, there may well be two pathways that have been christened 'Mugger's Alley', but somehow I doubt that, as there is only one 'Yellow Brick Road', and only one 'The Square'. So I am not saying you are wrong, and I am right, I'm just saying I don't think we can be talking about the same pathway if the one you know is tiled and lit, and the one I know is unlit and untiled. :roll: :hmmm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.