Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
when we were in sunny beach a couple of years ago there wwas a chap from our hotel who got done by a gang of women,also a mate from work got mugged while staggering back to his hotel late at night surrounded by women who emptied his pockets :cry
seahunt , were you staying in the majestic ? 3 brothers were there when we were there and 1 was mugged on the beach in the same way .

just seems a coinsodence :think
This type of crime seems to have been in existance for a while then, but it will continue as I doubt if any of the incidences have been reported due to the nature of the source of them.
hi safc,no we were staying at the victoria palace but we spent our time round the majestic pool because of the lack of sunbeds at the VP.
I will second this and have only returned this week. My friend went for a tinkle at the beach and was then approached by a big man who said it was an offence and demanded 250lev. My friend didnt have this and fortunatly only lost 50lev. Head the warning guys, also the taxi drivers are rip off merchants.
I have been reading various other reviews on other sites from people that have just returned from Sunny beach. I am surprised by the rise in crime in the resorts this year. :cry Is this true or are these isolated incidents. Can anyone who has returned recently let me and others who are still to go on holiday know if this is true. :(
Just wanted to ask this, but it is our first visit to Bulgaria on August 15th.

Am reading lots of good reports about our hotel (Iberostar Sunny Beach), but a lot of the reports mention muggings, which gives the impression it happens often.

Is this the case, or is it no worse than anywhere else? Would be grateful of any advise to lessen the risk.
Hi, wife and I returned from SB on 12/07/08 after a week at the Ivana Palace hotel (off main road behind the Victoria Palace/Marvel hotels).
It was our first time in SB and we were out every night on the prom/front strip till late'ish (usually returned to hotel between midnight - 02:00). It was busy and often noisy with groups of young people enjoying themselves in the many bars on the prom. BUT, we did not see or hear of any trouble, muggings, attacks etc during our stay. We were at the northern end of the resort (the Vic Palace end), which was generally more upmarket and less noisy than in the "centre" (Flower Street and Kuban Hotel area, and in front of the Globus Hotel on the prom), where the bars were going full blast till late.
I would very much agree that in such a busy resort you must take care at night and remain alert/aware of what is going on around you, just as you would anywhere. Watch your money and stick to the main streets or prom which is always busy and well lit. We never felt worried or threatened whilst in SB at night. Must say we also rarely saw any police on patrol other than at the top of Flower Street past the Kuban, near the market, police there most nights where the buses drop off.

Ray.
Returned home yesterday after 3 weeks in Sb. No problems as usual, we've been going over 10years,twice a year. PLEASE,PLEASE dont let some of the posts on this forum put first time visitors nervous about the area. Just be sensible and aware as you would do at home, and you should all feel safe.
In fact I feel safer in SB than I do in the small Welsh town, where I live. :tup
As is stated in my post the only reason my friend got mugged was because he went to the beach after dark. The resort itself is completly safe and we had no problems there what so ever. Just dont go to the beach after dark, even if you need a quick tinkle!
As I stated in mine it was due to going onto the Beach with prostitutes that these young males had their encounter, there where 18 of us in our party and it only happened to the one young stupid worse for drink male.
Hi all!!

Please can i have some advice for those who have travelled to Bulgaria (sunny beach) recently?!?!?!

What did you find was the safest way to take your currency...did you use credit/debit card? Travellers cheques? Money Travel Cards?

Help is greatly welcome!

I'm currently a very confused blonde (excuse the pun!) :que
We have pages on money matters HERE

Nothing has changed. It comes down to a choice between using ATMs, or taking clean, unmarked, and undamaged Bank of England notes, and changing them at either proper banks or hotel receptions.

If you have any more queries you can't find an answer to, please ask on the money thread and we'll do our best to assist.

Peter
Keith1963

If you take a bank card to change your money the hotel has a bank machine just on the side of the hotel which means you do not have to take your bank card far out of the hotel and an keep it in your safety deposit box. We are just back mid June and had no problems with mugging and there was 8 of us age ranging from 19 to 72.

To everyone just take the same precautions there as you would at home and enjoy your holiday.

Tom
hi could any1 please advice me on how to take money, i am stopping at fiesta hotel in sunny beach, am i beat taking travellers checks english money to exchange or levs, i am really concerned about the reports i am reading about people being mugged, are they being mugged as they are on their own so no one can helpthem or are the saftey deposit boxes not working, i have also read alot abot the mathia in sunny beach and the prostitutes, it is my first time in bulgaria and after reading some of the reports from the area i am becoming concerned, i wouldnt mind if it was just me and my husband but i have 2 children bouncing off the wall on holiday countdown we go on n25 july so if any1 has stopped at the fiesta beach hotel and can advice us on what to do about our money this would be gratefully apriciated also we are stopping in the hotel half board as it wasnt much more for us than self catering so we would really appriciate it if people gave us their advice on cheap but qauility plac es
thankyou
We've pages on money matters HERE.

In 19 years I've never had problems with a safety deposit box, and don't believe all you read about Sunny Beach.

If you take the same care you take at home you'll have no problems. You won't be aware of any so-called Mafia, nor be bothered by members of the world's oldest profession.

Above all DON'T WORRY. Every year many thousands of tourists go the Sunny Beach and enjoy themselves with no problems at all, and return year after year.

Peter
Hi, we were in SB a week ago. We took some BUL Lev to get us started, and took £ cash, kept it in the hotel saftey deposit box and exchanged it as we needed it (every few days), at our hotel reception/cashier. Ex rate was about 2.36 Lev to £1, but quick and easy at the hotel (Ivana Palace). Hotel Condor on the front prom offered 2.40 Lev to £1.
We did not use ANY booths at all, not even the (safe) Crown Booths, we much prefered using the hotel cashier during the day and putting excess cash straight in the saftey box.

Travellers Cheques incurr about a 10% charge, debit/cash cards can be used but we did not see many ATM machines other than opposite Hotel Kuban which is right in the centre!!!

Credit cards do not seem to be widely accepted.

Ray
My son and his girlfriend are staying at sb and are due home this evening 28-9-14 , but while making there way back to the hotel in the early hours of this morning they came across two very drunk English girls whom they recognised from there hotel , knowing how shady it was especially for anyone who was that drunk they decided to help them back to the hotel for there own safety . My son had one girl proped up and was trying to walk her quickly back to the hotel while his girlfriend was trying to do the same with the other girl and as soon as he got a few step ahead two men grabbed his girlfriend and snatched her bag and threw her to the ground , the drunk girl wasnt so lucky and received a bit of a kicking to release her belongings , my son gave chase but thankfully didnt manage to catch them. So beware !
God how awful :( The place sounds like a real hole. Particularly upsetting when you are trying to do someone else a good turn :( Let's hope Karma comes back and get the scum bags. :swear
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.