Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
For one day taking the tourist boat is the best bet
http://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/tourist/
You can see the Grand Palace, Temple of the Dawn, Wat Pho,China Town and have lunch at Khao San road. The boat is easy and its hop on/off. Go to the Grand Palace first as it gets really hot and sticky there. I would also advise taking a brolly to help with shade( honestly). Make sure you are wearing something which covers the shoulders and knees and shoes or sandals with a back to them. There are other stops bt that is probably more than enough for a day. If you dont fancy Khao San road then there was a great place opposite the Grand Palace- hopefully someone can come up with the name. Very old buidling and inside was interesting. We haven't actually eaten at Chinatown. The stalls are a bit too authentic!! There were things for sale there that I have no idea about and I didn't fancy trying them :rofl Its a fascinating place though.
We have been to Bangkok quite a few times now and also take a river boat( although we now take the faster ones). I never get fed up of the place! :)
Thanks Fiona, sounds great! Everyone says about eating the street food in Thailand,we really want to try eating in Chinatown, but like you would be a bit cautious about something we have no idea about, but hope we'll be brave enough! Thanks for the tips regarding what to wear, particularly shoes with backs, wouldn't have thought of that. We've also heard the night markets are good, and the girly bars are a real eye-opener, and a real experience just to see.
We were planning to get a taxi from the airport to the hotel, but have heard the skytrain now connects with the airport - just wondering if you have you used it, and is it the best way to get to and from the airport ?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apartment rental in beautiful area of Turkey, perfect location for a wonderful holiday htttp://www.turuncapartment.com
Hi Alfie,

Fiona's advice is good, as usual.

The Skytrain always has appealed but I think that the Chatrium is a fair step south of the nearest Skytrain station which is probably Saphan Thaksin. Taxi transfer is simple and should cost 300 - 350 Baht (about 47 Baht to the pound). (300 from Sukhumvit last weekend, including tolls). Allow a good 45 minutes for the trip.

For an acceptable overview of Girly bars try Soi Cowboy just off Sukhumvit. Asoke Skytrain and Sukhumvit MRT are both close by. There are some excellent restaurants in the area, too.

For night market combined with girly bars Patpong will probably suit - Skytrain Sala Daeng.

If you are using the complementary boat (I have never been to Chatrium Riverside) - Saphan Taksin is the best place to get off for Skytrain connections - Patpong / Soi Cowboy are then simple trips.

Enjoy

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.