General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Where did you see this announcement about incurring charges for ATM transactions outside the EU? Just checked on Nationwide website and they still state that Turkey will incur no charges ( Turkey is not an EU member state). I understood Nationwide to have announced changes some time back to passing on charges for withdrawals outside Europe (not EU). Can anyone clarify?
Kimi

Turkey is a place that causes no end of trouble when it comes to "is it in Europe". We've been in all sorts of arguments in the past!

The summary:

Politically - NO, Turkey is not an EU member
Geographically - Partly, the western bit is but most, including the resort areas, is in Asia
International corporations - Probably
Insurance - Usually but check your policy
Football and rubbish song contests - YES

Visa include it as part of their European division so the rules on transactions "within Europe" apply. Nationwide have worded some pages badly and in others better (by removing all reference to Europe!). The problem is some people don't understand the difference between EU and other meanings for Europe and it all gets out of hand. You don't even want to know about the French colonies!!
Steve

Thanks for that - all I wanted to know really was if I am going to be charged by Nationwide if I withdraw cash at an ATM whilst in Turkey. Their web page today specifically says "no charges" but the first post had got me wondering if that situation was going to change to EU member states only. I love Turkey regardless :)
would you get charged in australia for using the nationwide flexi please
Australia is on the charging list.

Nationwide website does have a list of the countries where you will be charged for using the card.

When I went into our local office to enquire about this they said they are intending to charge for their cards linked to Mastercard as soon as they can.
From the leaftlet I have received today, it states :

"When you use a Nationwide Visa debit card to make transactions in certain currencies other than sterling, Visa charge a fee for each transaction and Nationwide currently pays that fee on your behalf.
From 1st June 2009 we will start to pass on this fee to you and it will be included in the sterling amount which appears on your statement. The fee is currently 0.84%. From 1st July 2009 this fee will increase to 1%.
The fee does not apply to sterling transactions, it is only payable on currencies outside the Visa Europe region.

I'm not sure if this link is a allowed, but it also said in the leaflet....."For details of the countries affected please see : nationwide.co.uk/foreigntransactions
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.