Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I'm sorry but why would you want to travel all the way to India and sit in a Shack on a dirty beach overlooking an eyesore of a rusting ship.It doesn't matter how good the shack is............the view from that part of the beach is ....... well terrible.We were in this particular shack 2 weeks ago (we took a couple people with us first time in goa) and they said what a tip !!,

John
each to ones own John. Just because you didnt like it, it doesnt mean that everyone is of the same opinion. I have visited Ganesh shack for the last 4 years and enjoy it very much. I have made many new friends and usually bump into the same faces each year so its not just me that likes it down that way. It maybe not the cleanest place in the world but if i had wanted prestine white sands and crystal clear waters i would have jumped on a plane to the caribbean. So unless you have an answer to my query could you please keep your negative comments to yourself .
bbn
jcbrum wrote:
I'm sorry but why would you want to travel all the way to India and sit in a Shack on a dirty beach overlooking an eyesore of a rusting ship.It doesn't matter how good the shack is............the view from that part of the beach is ....... well terrible.We were in this particular shack 2 weeks ago (we took a couple people with us first time in goa) and they said what a tip !!,

Well.. Our next visit will be our 12th year, and we have always gone to Ganesh shack, great shack, great customers (plenty of regulars) and a great family run business that have been friends for all those years with no problems whatsoever - why would I want to move to another shack ? We saw the RP in it's 1st year grounded and now will see it (slowly) removed - but not from Ganesh's shack.
The view from that part of the beach is the same 200 yards left or right (or beyond) sea/ship/sea/ship, we had a view before it was there of.. well sea,sea and sea. It has not spoiled our holiday one bit, although this time it's going to, but we will still be there, and still go see the Ganesh family at there home.
As for the dirty beach comment, it's never been the cleanest on any part of the CCB strip but it doesn't put us off, or many many others.
Did your friends think the rest of Goa was clean ? - doubt it.
Thanks for cheering me up with comments I didn't want to read, it's bad enough changing plans for our trip without that.
The people that you meet are always a huge part of why we return. I love hanging out with friends old and new at Ganesh's shack. Candolim Beach isnt the best for views, there are far better if you want the views. Im hoping that Ganesh can arrange something temporary for him and the people that work for him. If not I will use another shack until the time we can return to support him and have a cold beer with my mates.
We did not make it to Ganesh's shack. in Nov so want to go when we go back in a few weeks I would really miss him and all the staff if they were not there it just would not be the same ....colleen
Was very much looking forward to visiting Ganesh Shack in a fortnight. Although were staying at Sinquerim our plan was to use Ganesh on our beach days. Hopefully we'll bump into him at some stage. Does he know his shack is on Facebook? We'll follow this thread with interest to find a new shack. We were also hoping to met up with a retired couple, Tony and Chris. Does anyone know them and whether there back in Goa for the season?
  • Edited by MCB 2011-01-09 19:57:46
:duh Everybody is entiled to their opinion which might not agree with yours - so please lets keep this friendly :tup

Graham
i agree so could we now get back to the original query please. Shack recomendations :cheers :sun2
Pete's shack in Candolim was really nice. You turn right at the main entrance to the beach (the Silver Sands road) and it's about 5 mins walk heading towards Calangute. The staff were great, food excellent and the sunbeds were well spaced out. Pete's had 2 shacks next to each other so you could have a bed at either and use the tables at either as well. Music is nice and chilled, the beach sellers are always about but don't bother you if you just say no and the toilets are clean.
We have always gone to Maya's shack. It's next to monicas down whispering palms road on the left. Great food great service. The family that own it are lovely. We will be spending 2 lovely weeks there in February! Cannot wait.

Sorry to hear that your favourite shack won't be opening. Not sure what we'd do if maya's didn't open xxxxxxxxxx
Lizzylulu
Ganesh shack is currently open but it seems that it might not be for much longer.

I'm not exactly sure where Maya's is but have you read the River Princess thread which recently discusses some shacks being pulled down for access to the beach by vehicles involved in the salvage operation?

One post (on page 32 by Spike on 7/1/2010) mentions Whispering Palms road as a possible route to the beach for those vehicles.

Another poster has mentioned:
"Have just been talking to a shack owner and he said it will start with James Shack and go down as far as Ram Shack."

Even if a shack is still trading, I'd imagine that there would be a fair amount of disruption and noise around that area.
We found Antonio's, at the bottom of Candolim Beach Rd, next to the larger Arabian shack excellent in every way. Super food, good hygiene, and the music wasn't too loud. Their BBQ night was exceptional value for money and good fun.
We only used them in the evening though, either for a sunset beer or to eat later, but they have the same sunbeds and views as the others. They are some distance from the River Princess there too !
Hi prettypollycat, the poster who put about which shacks will be pulled down is my dad :) we have all been going to Mayas for years and we can get to it another way. It is a little passed the RP so hopefully won't be too disrupted x
Ahhh.

I must have been getting Mayas mixed with another shack.
Is Mayas too close to Sinquerim to be affected by this new road?
As you stand on the beach looking toward the shacks it is about 3-4 shacks to the right of whispering palms road. It's not having to close.
Too many good shacks to single one out, but if I had to , I like Bonos.
I know some say that it is expensive but seemed OK to me last year.
More importantly, as far as SWMBO is concerned the toilets are exceptional.

It maybe easier to ask for which ones not to use!

As far as the beach being dirtier down towards the RP, I can't say that I've noticed it being much scruffier than other parts of the beach.
We used to use Monicas all the time until the the damage to the beach made it diffcult to get to the shack from the sunbeds.
One reason , was the friends we had made over the years with other regular visitors.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.