Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The new supermarkrt Newtons is fantastic, air conditioned, spacious and a good choice of food and other stuff.
I know this is inevitable progress but I will still try and support the little local shops in Goa - if not some of the local "colour" will be lost. For me part of the Goan experience is the 60s type charm of the place. Large supermarkets just make a rich Indian businessman even richer.

Candybabe
Candybabe its called progress. India is one of the two largest growing economies with China. In the UK we generally use big supermarkets as it makes our lives easier. I have used the cramped small shops in Goa for years and welcome a more civilised shopping area where there is space and choice. I also use the "local local" bars off the beaten track where an evening meal and drinks come to 300Rps for two persons. :)
I said it was progress - however how many people regret the loss of the local shops in the UK because of supermarkets taking over. I was among those who flocked to Tesco but now rue no local butcher or greengrocer.

Candybabe
mixed feelings on this.
its a lot of fun searching the shelves for something in the little shops that are packed with all sorts of things but it is easier to wander into a supermarket and be able to find what you want.
for myself I will stick to the little quaint shops but take a lot of notice of sell bt dates!
It's just another tourist shop - you'll not find many locals in there.
I thought it was pretty good, good range of food and drinks for people self catering. They sell pillows!!!! heaven if you cant get to sleep using the normal brick supplied by the hotels. Aso a range of electrical goods, hair dryers, irons etc.
I still used the little shops for bits and bobs but Newtons has its place, gets a thumbs up from me anyway
:) Hi, I used Newton's while in Candolim and it was good for chilled Budwizer, large bottles for 45rps, shampoo, chocolate and cool air-conditioning they also do a wide verity of other tinned and frozen goods which were good if you were craving english items like Branston Pickle, generally though while I'm in Goa we do tend to use the local Candolim and Calangute market for veg and fruit or a trip to Mapsa market, local bread roll boys for rolls and Samosa's, Utupi next to Candolin market for potatoe Wada's and or Samosa's, Panjim fish market for Kingfish and Tiger prawns and the Chicken man opposite Candolim Market for Chicken, we tried Darren the English butcher this time who we will use again; so what with the beach shacks and the local restaurants our money gets well spread around the local area and community; I agree that not a lot of locals will use it but then again not a lot of locals use the like of Lawande supermarket either that is mainly frequented by tourist and you do have to religiously check his sell by dates, having said that Lawande's is our first stop when we arrive for water, Honey Bee & Limca because it is local to where we stay.
Even though there is all this on offer I still like most take Bacon, Chedder Cheese, Feta Cheese and Tapanard from the UK when we go and of course there is the 2, 3 litre boxes of white wine I pick up at duty free on my way though :glynis , it sounds like all we do is eat but it's surprising what you crave when your sitting on the balcony after a hard day on the beach reading :rofl
Can't way to get back there.
Jayne :wave
Hi Jane,
Where does Darren the english butcher have his shop?
Steve
Hi Jayne what is Tapanard :? good idea about the wine box as I have heard the goan wine is not to hot

Debi
I too have mixed feelings about the new supermarket. However, I will not miss my trips to Lawandes. The guy behind the counter is probably about the sourest faced individual I have ever seen in Goa (some Police excepted). Even when a customer spends a fortune by Goan standards he never changes his facial expression. I will continue to use the other supermarkets, but the new one will be convenient as it is so close to where we stay. Thanks for the info.
You're dead right, Sandyboy! He makes Victor Meldrew look like a model of sociability and hospitality!
:bhead
No doubt we'll try the new place but also stick with Helen's Stores and other smaller shops.
Totally agree with roma and sandyboy. I went in 3 weeks back to check the prices of cigarettes to bring back, because I wasn't buying them there and then, he wouldn't put himself out to find the price :roll: I think he could do with some "customer service" training :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.