Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
When we were there in February it was serious in Bugibba/Qawra.There were about 8 of them all gathered around near the bus terminus area.That day we were stopped about 7-8 times as well.What i hate is them stopping you in cars,which in my opinion is getting much worse.
With you on that jojouk, stayed in Qawra last year and what a pain they were. Went in 2002 and got caught twice in one week, 2 afternoons wasted just cos I was a soft touch.....not anymore....What I hate is how abusive they get when you say no....They get a polite no, a sterner no & if they still persist I ask them what part of :swear off don't you understand.... must admit I'm usually shaking after. Going to Xemxija in May, wonder if there will be touts there. Wonder if saying I'm bankrupt might help.....any ideas what to say to quickly get rid of them...
Hello,
If I was stopped by timeshare touts, and was not interested. I would just say sorry I am going home tomorrow :shrug and would hope that would get rid of them :!:
The touts seem to be mainly in the Qawra/Buggiba area with a couple in Mellieha. The ones that are in Qawra/Buggiba are definately the worst. After you say 'NO' to them remember to say 'have a nice day' sacarstically before they do!
we've just got back from melliha.we got accosted everytime we walked down to the beach.worst thing is they were from the hotel we were staying in.everytime we walked outside the hotel we got hasseled.at the main bus stop there were girls both sides of the road.we even got the hotel manager trying to get us to a meeting,saying it was a managment meeting(yeah right).we stayed at the solana hotel.anybody thing of staying there just be aware it is run by RCI holiday clubs.my advice is just be very firm and they will just go and hassle somebody weaker.i feel sorry for the old folk who get easily tricked.it's about time the goverments cracked down on this sort of behaviour.it will stop tourists visiting their countries if you cant walk down the road in peace......nick
As I've said before I reckon the Maltese Government must be making something out of these Slimeshare louts. Since Malta was one of the first to bring in strict anti-smoking laws, which I applaud them for, why don't they get another first and ban timeshare selling on the streets???? :yipee

I seriously think if timeshare selling in the street gets much worse it will have an adverse effect on tourism,

Trev
Hi Trev, fully agree with you mate, the sooner Malta rids itself of these lowlifes the better for all concerned.

Regards
Sliema2
hi trev and sliema2 i totally agree with you timeshare are a menace :twisted: we got fed up with them last year and on on occasions we walked through the resedential areas to keep out of their way ,we shoudnt have to do that on holiday ,you are there to relax and enjoy yourselves ,hope the maltese downstart cracking on them ,rant over :!: lorna
hi sorry about the mix up on my last sentence :oops: well it is sunday morning :?: lorna
Hello Sliema2, read the above and like her style, maybe it something we all should start doing. Perhaps to the govenment on one of there sites on the web, the more people who do it then just perhaps they may get the message.
They will never stop me from going on holiday to Malta or any were else I may want to go, but they do get up ones noise after the same old thing day after day ( to put in a way as not to have this reply blocked )
I have said on this subject before there is a call for time share if thats what you want, but for people who don't they should not have to put up with the sort of antics, they should be cleared of the streets and made to sell there time share from offices only, so them that want it can go and look into and bye if they want, or walk out the door with out all the hassle that the touts give on the streets.

This is my view only.

Dave
Just booked the Gillieru for July (I know the towels are scratchy and the sheets thin but I love the outlook!!!) and feeling very happy until was reminded about timeshare.

It really a does spoil a gentle stroll along the sea front to be accosted by these people.
Agree MandyC, you do tend to forget that bit. Going to Xemxija in 3 and a half weeks (& counting :lol: ). Hope they are not going to be as bad there as they are in Bugibba and Qawra. Been thinking of some more things to say...going to try saying we are bankrupt....or we are on the run from the police......could I have a bipolar disorder and prone to fits of violence......or if really pushed may just shout "GET AWAY FROM ME" at the top of my voice......trouble is though every encounter leaves me shaking cos I hate being horrible to people and sadly you do have to be horrible just to get rid of them. A friend of mine tried asking them outright if they sell timeshare (of course they say no) and he says "shame cos thats what I want" kind of leaves them speechless.....
i found in malta.a simple no,i'm not interested in timeshare was enough.they aren't anywhere near as aggresive as canaries timeshare touts.dont let them spoil your holiday.just be firm and carry on walking.have a good holiday....nick
Hi jothebookworm

'going to try saying we are bankrupt....or we are on the run from the police......could I have a bipolar disorder and prone to fits of violence......'

Be vary careful if you say this! they will probably offer you a job!!! :P
Ah M&N I didn't think of that.....or perhaps I could carry a book of raffle tickets and try & flog them to each timeshare tout who stops me....

Tamworthlad, twice last year I suffered abuse from timeshare touts...one because my boyfriend answered him in German and another who I ignored because I was watching a lizard devour a wasp...he was really nasty.

If I find anything that works with the minimum of fuss I'll share it with you when I get back...
Just back from Malta, stayed in Qawra and it got quite nasty. Once chap shouted at me to p off when I said no thank you nicely, another woman started shouting at us and ordering us to walk away when we said no thank you to her - nicely too! Like she's got rights to tell people what to do. The ones in a car are a total pain in the proverbials, I will be putting a very strongly worded letter in within the next day or two. Fortunately I got names, times, dates and car registrations to help with this. I wish the Maltese government would do something about it. :evil: Signing at them (sign for the deaf) works, but for those not fortunate to have another language, spoken or not this is a problem. Can we please chuck them all into a pit of rabid wild animals and come back a month or so later?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.