Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
If this is true then it is quite disturbing, the english slimeshare louts in malta are without doubt the scummiest I have ever encountered and this would deffinitely take slimeshare in Malta to an all time low.
IvanM,
you really must complain to your tour operator about this strongly! otherwise it will continue and others who are less experienced in dealing with these people wil be parting with their money.
Hi Folks,

I have to say that I have always known the slimshare touts to trawl the area by the bus station in Bugibba and generally we are able to put them off but this really is a new development.

You say this happened in the Bugibba Holiday Complex? I just wonder what the management of The Island Group of Hotels think about this and what they have to say about it? I also wonder if they know that this is going on since this seems so out of character for the professional way that they generally operate their business?

Trev
I have written to Aspro/Airtours and will let you all know what they say.

The operation is being run from within the Bugibba Holiday Complex from two desks next to the reception. I think they are promoting a new development of their own but the people on the desks don't want to tell you anything about it. They obviously want the sales people to do the talking. Incidentally, a tout stopped us in the street with scratch cards and told us to take them to the BHC to collect the prize even before the hotel phone call so we were already suspicious.

If the hotel chain are behind it this might be a good and genuine offer but I wouldn't take the risk even if I could afford it. I lost money years ago on a timeshare promoted through British Gas. Having a big name company involved doesn't necessarily help when the timeshare company goes bankrupt.
I saw an advert in Saturday's mail which was offering resale weeks of timeshare (you know the sort a list of various resorts and weeks available together with the price). One of these was for the Bugibba Holiday Complex.

We have just booked for Malta in July (last year was the first year for thirteen years that we had not visited Malta) and I was really glad to be going back until I remembered the timeshare touts. My husband hates them with a vengence. Whereas I can just say "No" or sometimes I say we already own one (which isn't true!!!), he gets annoyed with them and this really does affect his enjoyment on holiday. He will not walk near the square in Bugibba in the mornings or near the ferries in Sliema.

We stayed at Mistra Village years ago and they had timeshare appartments there. During the stay someone came to our appartment and said there would be a presentation at a certain time if we were interested and that was it. Throughout the rest of the stay it was never mentioned and there was no visible signs throughout the complex that they offered timeshare.
Hi there, a good tip on how to avoid the time shares in the square at Buggiba is to split up. They only seem to stop 'couples' . When I go with hubby we have a military stratagy to avoid them, I have been know to hide behind a palm tree when I see them coming. We do treat it as a bit of fun, I think you have to or it would get you down. Whenever I go with my sister we never get stopped by timeshare!!!
OOOOO just thought of another top tip, take a book of raffle tickets with you and every time you get stopped ask them to buy a ticket for your fave charity.
Any more top tips out there?
My mate speaks to them in fluent Welsh, and then chases after them, shouting at them in Welsh when they've had enough. I use Gaelic (Scottish based frog!) or sign language. If I'm in a bad mood, a healthy :swear usually works. Dive safely.
Nice one Frog. I have to say that my son and I speak some Welsh. We're no where near fluent yet but your mates right, we tried speaking broken Welsh to some of these timeshare slimes and yes it worked!

Charliegirl, I'm a bit concerned about asking them to buy a raffle ticket since it might be seen by them as an opening to chat about their timeshare,

Trev
Hello,

I have also stayed at Bugibba myself, and courtesy of the timeshare/holiday operators I stayed a week there free of charge. Which me and my wife were delighted about as this gave us more money to spend on our holiday.

In fact we are visiting a Marriott hotel who are also timeshare this year, the timeshare or holiday club maybe one in the same, but bad reputation probably came from rip off merchants years ago. So as it's always going to be there me and my wife have decided at least we can get a good holiday out of a freebie!

Chris
Hello Chris,
Glad you liked Malta. Did you buy into any of the packages offered to you? and how long did you have to stay with them for your free week?:lol:
Hi,

I stayed with them for one week and liked it so much we actually stayed on for another week. Although the concept of timeshare/holiday club doesn't worry me as I own one in Venice and have done so for the past 6 years.

But if it's on offer why not take advantage I say.

Hope you enjoy Malta!
You don't happen to ba one of these salesmen by any chance do you? :wink:
Er I don't think the problem with timeshare is actually what is on offer I think what folks resent is the high pressure and often seedy marketing methods that are used to sell timeshare.

I think that most people are sick and tired of being hassled when on holiday, and let's face it, most of us can't afford to spend thousands of pounds 'cause we simply don't have that kind of money. Many of us have to save up for weeks and weeks to pay for a holiday in the Sun so the last thing we really want is to be hassled by these touts.

However, I have no objection to folks who can afford and are happy to buy timeshare but the idea does not appeal to me. If timeshare is such a good idea why on Earth do they have to pester folks and use the high pressure selling tactics that they do?

I think that the Maltese Tourist Board should ban these timeshare thugs from their streets!

Trev
Mark, no am not salesman I am an Estate Agent (probably equally as hated) :lol: I just wanted to point out that if there's a bargain to be had then I'm there :)

I do agree with Trev as nobody wants to be hassled in the street whilst they are on holiday. I still think Malta is a lovely place and always manage to have a relaxing time whilst we are there. I think alot more money is being invested in Malta and with good reason, us Brits love it!
I apologise for thinking that you may have been one of those people Chris the tricks they use really get the hairs standing up on the back of my neck I wouldn't mind too much if they took a 'no thank you' for an answer and left it at that, but some of them over step the mark all too frequently. by the way I don't mind estate agents :)
Hi ChrisT,

I recently sold my house to buy another and found the Estate Agents I used to be extremely helpful, friendly and value for money. I would never put them in the timeshare tout category!

I just wonder why you guys seem to have such a bad reputation?

By the way, the timeshare touts certainly won't keep us away from Malta,

Trev
I say flog them all to an inch of there lives, and then send them to Iran for a holiday :twisted:

Dave
We stayed at the Bugibba Holiday Complex a few years ago and at that time they had timeshare apt's on the top floor and they tried to get you in to a presentation to go and view / purchase, so this is not a new concept at the complex .

The sales pressure then was not as bad as it now with all the different timeshare companies competing for your hard earned money, and companies are always trying to find new methods to get you to attend their presentaton.

I am sure that The Island Group of Hotels (owners of this complex) are fully aware of this, and indeed are behind it as they know they have a captive clientele already within their complex and by offering low value incentives (how much does it cost them for a bottle of wine ?) they can then get them to attend a (high pressure) sales presentation.

As has already been mentioned it is not the timeshare package that is usually the problem, it is being accosted by the tout's as you wait for a bus, pass through the square or walk along the front.
Even in the streets behind the front you are still likely to be confronted by a car screeming to a halt beside you and somebody jumping out and shouting "English" at you, last year my wife and I didn't even manage to get down the steps of our hotel (the Canifor) before this happened.

Yes it is time the Maltese government did something about this instead of turning a blind eye and only thinking of the extra income it will get from the Building, sales and other taxes levied on these timeshare properties.
Hi all, this article is in today's "Times of Malta" on-line, thought it may be of interest to you all http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=181523

Ciao for now
Sliema2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.