Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Many thanks. It could certainly make a difference over a fortnight.
It will be interesting to see how long this measure takes to bring into force.
As if Venice isn't expensive enough already :( in fact our Italian holiday this year cost more than our Caribbean one. :o We were hoping to go back to Venice spring next year :cry:
This could be a big mistake for the Italian tourist industry in my opinion, didn't they end up scrapping the Spanish one in the end?
Hi Silverpixie.
The answer to your balearic eco-tax query is yes. Was approved on April 2001 and the hotels had to start collecting the tax from May 2002. The result was a dramatic drop in bookings and if you consider that the charges were between 70 p to 1 pound per person per night and based on the star rating of the accomodation then it will be easy to imagine what the results will be in Italy with the sort of charges they will be applying on Foreign Tourist only. The Balearic eco-tax was scrapped at the end of October 2003 and technically speaking it should have been refunded to tourists that had paid it ( at least this is what they were saying at the time!!! ). This new tax in Italy will be effective from 2007 and it is going to give lots of headaches to quite a lot of tour operators. Being an issue beyond the Tour Operators control customers will not be allowed to cancel free of charge and this is the reson why I decided to post this information as soon as possible. I am simply ashamed of what the Italian Government has done mostly because they have run out of money and are using these dirty tricks to compensate their own incapacity. In the UK there are lots of talks about the Bed Tax as well but at least the government is in consultation with the majority of the people that will be affected by this change if it will take place.
Now they are thinking to apply some amendment. The mojority of the region want to fight the government as well.

Will keep you posted
Just out on the italian news. The government has scrapped the tourist tax. The full budget will have to be approved by December 31st so I will be checking just in case they will be thinking to something else.

At least is a good new
Thanks for keep us up to date MOS and what a result, looks like Venice could be back on the cards for next year. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.