Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
New Tourist Tax
10 Posts
I've just picked this up on one of the hotel booking sites, which explains it quite clearly:

Please note: For all arrivals from 1.10.2013 onwards, there will be a Tourist City Tax of 2 TND per person per night – children under 12 years old are exempt. The tax is payable directly to the hotel upon arrival.
On the Med Hotels website, there was no indication of how it was to be paid - simply that the tax would be implemented as from October the first.
This was on the Lowcost Beds website Jenny but presumably the same system will apply to all staying in hotels.

There is still no indication if the tax is to be charged for those staying in private apartments and if so how it will be collected, but obviously this won't be of concern to most people and certainly not to the bed-bookers such as Med Hotels or Lowcost.
I've just had a look at Travel Republic and can't see any reference to this tax at all, despite doing a dummy booking almost to the end. :roll: I know it's a new thing and 2 dinar a day may not sound much, but for a family of 4 or 5 staying 14 days it will certainly add up, especially now that flight and hotel prices have shot up quite a lot.
None of my friends who are reps over there had not heard of it until I sent them an email last week!
I also have not heard of this. We normally holiday as a group which can vary between 12 and 16 people, so to add 2dinar on top of p.p. each night would add up. Also sadly I have noticed a big price notice, we have recently stayed in the Sol, and the hotel was half empty, I think the hotel can have up to 600 guests and at the most I would say there was only about 100guests, but looking at the prices, it sadly explains why the hotel only had that amount of guests in :-(

Roo
Just out of curiosity, has anyone who has booked an hotel independently (as opposed to a package holiday - via a company like Travel Republic) been asked to pay this new tax? I haven't heard of anyone despite several friends booking this way and completing their stays in Tunisia. x
Me neither Jenny, nor from anyone who has been there recently, no matter how they have booked. Yesterday I booked my hotel for May, through Alpha Rooms, and there was no mention of the tax anywhere.
Very odd indeed, as this was set in concrete early last year and was sent to me via a friend who works in government admin. However, we are talking about Tunisia, so no surprise there!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.