Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi Sanji, went for a nosey on the site and The furthest station i can get on the search is the one after torremolinos (sorry forgot the name as I've just closed the tab). I didn't see anything for Fuengirola. I also entered 10th September. They were also still showing for every 30 mins :think
Shirley, have you been on the juice.? :lol:
The service doesn't come into operation until the 11th, so it will still display the current timetable for the 10th.
It doesn't display anything after the 10th, so I'm assuming that the new service is indeed coming into operation on the 11th as announced in the local papers and they are updating the train schedules for an every 20 minute frequency.

Sanji
I have had one teeny weeny drink Sanji :D

....but didn't you say you did a dummy run for 10th September

However, I've just done a dummy run on the site for 10th September between Málaga- Maria Zambrano to Fuengirola and the timetable is displayed.

....I can't get it to display Fuengirola at all.

If I@m not making sense just ignore me, it's been a long day :tongue
It seems the trains will be every 20 mins in both directions leaving Malaga Centro at 10 mins, 30mins and 50 mins of the hour, and from Fuengirola on the hour, and 20 and 40 minutes passed the hour....the duration of the service will remain the same, starting at 5-30 am and ending at 10-30pm.

http://www.malagaweb.com/blog/news-293.html

Sanji
An announcement on the Renfe website posted at 17:03 today gives the revised L1 Cercanias train times from 11th September as:-

From Malaga Centro:- 10, 30 and 50 minutes past each hour.
From Fuengirola:- 00, 20 and 40 minutes past each hour.

The full text is at:- renfe.com/EN/empresa/comunicacion/index.html
Renfe have now updated the on-line timetable for the new 20 minute service which comes into operation on the 11th September.
Trains from the Airport to Fuengirola will leave at 02. 22 and 42 minutes of the hour.
Trains from the Airport to Malaga will leave at 14. 34 and 54 minutes of the hour .
Times for individual stations can now be found via the link.

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercan ... index.html

Sanji
First post here we go ........... :)
Kids are now old enough to aban........ leave at home so we're heading off without all that panic and rigmarole that requires you to be organised and know how and where you need to be
Anyway, that's the plan but my other half can't quite go 'cold turkey' on this

We're flying into Malaga and heading off to Fuengirola via the nice new train, I've just shown her pics of the train and she's very happy that it all looks so clean and efficient but, she's worried about which platform we have to use - is the one in front of us or the one the other side?
I'm not too bothered given the trains are every 20 mins but it seems to have her a bit twitchy so I thought I'd ask

TIA
if I can remember correctly it's the one on the side you arrive at- you don't need to cross over. I'm sure sanji will comfirm. We used the train for the first time back in April and it was well signposted. If we managed to do it without any probs, anybody can :D
There are two platforms at Malaga Airport. One for trains into Malaga and the other for trains in the direction of Torremolinos/Benalmadena and Fuengirola. You leave the airport and follow signs that take you diagonally left to the railway station which is about 150 metres away, flat with a large crossing area across the taxi/road area. Once in the station the ticket machines are on the right. You can change the language by pressing the idioma button. It has a Union Flag sign against it. You want two single tickets (ida) to Fuengirola. The ticket machines are quite simple.
Once you have the tickets continue to the ticket barriers. Place your tickets in the slot and they will be processed and come out of the top (just like the ticket machines at UK station and the Tube) take your ticket and pass through. There are escalators down on both the left and right. You want the right hand escalator which will take you down to the Fuengirola platform. Trains are every 20 minutes at 02, 22 and 42 minutes past the hour.
It really is quite easy to follow and self-explanatory. All the announcements in the station and on the strain are in Spanish and English
There are also lifts albeit small ones for minusvalidos/disabled on both sides of the station that you can use, handy for taking you to the lower level with large cases and infants in pushchairs.
Used the train from Malaga Airport to Fuengirola last week. Clean, quick and only cost 2.20 Euros.
Ginger we always use the train from the airport to Arroyo, in March was our first time though using the new station, but found the short walk, escalators & lifts very useful, and as mentioned the trains are always on time-very clean- and every stop is announced in English-and they are cheap, also handy for trips along the coast and into Malaga, hope you enjoyed your stay :)
Does anybody have any info on whether the trains will be running on Easter Monday and if so will there be a reduced timetable? We will be returning to the UK and would normally get the train from Torremolinos to the airport. If we won't be able to take the train we will have to use a taxi- I wonder if they will charge more because it is a public holiday :think Which leads me to wonder if Easter Monday is in fact a public holiday in Spain. I'd also be interested to know if the trains run on Good Friday just in case that's the day I decide to take a trip into Malaga :D

Thanks
Good Friday and Easter Sunday is a national public holiday and in Malaga Maundy Thursday is a regional public holiday, so on these days the shops will be closed ( although not all of them except Sunday) and the taxi's will charge the higher rate.
Easter Monday is neither a national or regional holiday in Spain, except in Catalonia and Valencia.
Trains run normally and they run into the night until around 3am or 5am during Holy Week for those who go into Malaga for the evening/night processions.
There should be a timetable/schedule nearer the date showing the times of the trains during the Holy Week period.

If you're thinking of going into Malaga to see the processions, this link may be useful to plan which procession to see, Holy Week in Malaga is on par with Sevilla and you're making me wish I was going now.
http://www.semana-santa-malaga.com/english/holy-week-malaga.html

Sanji
Thanks Sanji, always on the button where info is concerned :)

I'm just about to head off to work but I will definitely make time later to look at that information regarding the processions. If we end up visiting Malaga to see one of them, I will remember my camera so I can share the joys with you and anybody else who's interested. Ooh, as I'm reading this back, I just thought that I won't be able to share them with you on here :(

I'm glad the trains won't be affected at all during our week's break.

As we've just under 4 weeks to go and I'm getting excited, no doubt I'll be back for more chat- probably trivial stuff but it gets me in the mood :D
We got the train, very cheap and good service. Wasn't as impressed with Malaga as much as a lot of Spanish cities I've been to though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.