Forum Announcements

Announcements on changes and amendments at holidaytruths forums.
Sagres wrote:
If you say so, Glynis, but, to be honest, I can't recall such a high regular influx of new members for a long, long, time and the percentage of non-posting new members still seems incredibly high to me. :que

I've checked for you Geoff :tup 6 new members today 3 of whom have posted. Plus we had new membership on approval before so whittled out any potential spammers. Membership is now by user so you may see more come through but they are stopped from posting the minute they try to spam.

HTH
Aslemma, I agree with you about the review section. I posted this a week ago but it hasn't had any response from Chris or Phil as yet.

I also find the drop down list in the search box a bit messy. In the top box we have towns, counties and countries all listed together e.g. Bridgend, west midlands and China I think it would be more user friendly to have the top dropdown for the country then the middle one with just town/resort and last one with hotel names.

Would it be possible to do a tidy up of it when you get time please?
I don't think it needs tidying up Shirley, more a root and branch rethink. The old review section was clear and simple to understand but obviously didn't suit the new image.. Positively ancient reviews could have been removed, together with any which the new owners felt were unsafe for whatever reason, but the present system is an unmitigated disaster and will do nothing whatsoever to encourage new members.
Shirley,

I hadn't forgotten you had mentioned it, only managed to sit down properly with Chris on Thursday night and we agreed to action this, as we have a had a few pieces of feedback on this issue. So we will move the regions out of the country drop down.

Whilst this sounds easy, the code is a bit more complex, so it will take a bit longer rest assured this is being done. :)
Aslemma,

Sorry to hear you don't like the structure of the site. Hopefully it will grow on you with time! We are hoping to get a lot more reviews in, so that the ancient reviews are pushed down the order, rather than just switching them off all together!

I think that your comment is somewhat taking the situation out of perspective;

the present system is an unmitigated disaster and will do nothing whatsoever to encourage new members

We have had some great feedback on the new look; the site is soon to be in an upcoming webuser issue where the site will be reviewed. (Time will tell if it's good or not). We are receiving an increasing number of reviews on a daily basis and we only hope that this number will carry on growing along with our member base. The member base has been changed to allow new members to sign up without the need to be "approved" by a mod, their first few posts will then be moderated to make sure they aren't spamming you all!

Phil
Those who read the forums should really be well aware that the cutting off of reviews is a glitch. It doesn't look anything else but a glitch as no-one is going to edit and leave a sentence unfinished.
Just a thought for those who don't read here- perhaps put a note on the main page explaining that it is work in progress and when you estimate them to be up and running. This would stop non forum members from finding the site and discounting it when they come across half reviews.
Hi Fiona,

I have just this minute got off the phone with Phil about those odd 'chopped off' reviews. We are going to place a small alert icon on each and every review, a bit like the report post button. This will alert us to individual review issues that will will then be able to fix with a clever bit of code. In the case of the chopped reviews it will repair it to its full length, as originally posted.

That sound ok?
Betty Boop wrote:
:tup good idea Fiona (we need a 'like' button :rofl )

Something else that's on the list ;)
Sounds good Chris. I'm happy to pick a destination and check if you like and I'm sure others would as well.
just for info, incase you think this is fixed now- I've just lost another post ie it didn't appear.
I've just pressed my back button, got the message that I don't have permission to view this page.....or something like that..... haven't had that error in ages !
Fiona wrote:
just for info, incase you think this is fixed now- I've just lost another post ie it didn't appear.

Was it for the post you made underneath BB's as it looks as though you may have posted together, or was the post elsewhere Fiona?
no- it was in the Thailand forum and this time no-one had posted at the same time.
Fiona wrote:
no- it was in the Thailand forum and this time no-one had posted at the same time.

You didn't hit preview in error Fiona? :think
There is a problem with posts not appearing and being lost without any warning that another post has been made in the meantime. Members have mentioned it, I have mentioned it and until it happened to Phil I don't think he believed it either.

luci :wave
It's not that I don't believe it Luci - it's just that it hasn't happened to me - yet. :yikes
Im always loosing post.. if its a short one i do it again if its a long one i go away have a good swear then come back and do a shorter version, its not just the new system it use to happen to me on the old HT as well if i didnt notice someone else posting at the same time
Phil, I really don't think I am taking things out of perspective. Regular members may be prepared to live with the vagaries of the site for a while, but I thought one of the main aims was to encourage new members and in my opinion at present I feel the chance of this is at least questionable. The first thing highlighted on Holiday Reviews is Latest Reports - the top one from October last year and the next from last |uly. Do we really have no newer reviews?

You and Chris will of course do whatever you want and only time will tell if you have made the right decisions. I shall watch developments with interest,
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.